• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

803 Bogs Down and dies at 85% Load

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In an emergency you could shim the rockers up a touch. Absolutely not my first choice but something you could do if the situation called for it.

USAMilRet

I have three down units that I could scavenge from if really needed. But I would rather keep them as intact as possible should I need to get rebuilding these units as well.

Some of these are nearly splayed. I have never seen anything like this before and know someone was not paying attention. TM calls for 25 lbs ft

This type of deformities require a lot of force being placed on the part. I think these are hardened steel as well.

USAMilRet

Got the rocker arm replacements. Glad I decided to do the entire rocker set. Each one of the previous rocker arm sets were totally destroyed and not a single piece can be salvaged. Such a waste.

Installed, torqued (not are TDC), bleed down for 45 min, retorque to 25 lb ft, rotated manually to ensure clear rotation, put back together, and started. Here are the results:

https://youtu.be/q41Lh1jtOoU

Put a load on it for 1 hour, varying from 40% to 90% with no issues. Ploop ploop ploop is gone as is the blowback on the intake tube. Still miss that marble sound. Bet that will come in time.

Noticed that at 90% load (92 amp draw) temp went up to over 200 but I do not believe it. I suspect the sending unit is whacked at the top end. Also noted oil psi went from 50 to 22 over time. Suspect that is due to 10W30 break in oil.

Need to further test. Nearly out of the tunnel.

For total transparency, I changed out the hour meter with a new one even though the rebuild had 1 hour on it. Felt a new hour meter better represented the motor than the previous one that had over 17 hours on it. I can use the 17 hour one on another rebuild I am going to do by year's end.

Last edited:

USAMilRet

It does sound so much better. I knew that the issues could be resolved with the expertise of the membership, who I thank for their input and support.

Now I have 2 MEP803As, one with 1 hour on the engine and 1 with 60 days (1400 hrs) on the engine........which to keep and which to sell?

There are great reasons to keep either as they are both 2007 units. But I have a 2010 unit that needs a rebuild. Might keep that one instead.......decisions, decisions, decisions,...

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So much good info in this thread. Extremely happy you stuck it out and got it licked. Many will benefit from all your work. Sounds great now. NICE JOB! [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks