• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

EZ-TCU controller for 4L80e

nanneye

I recently swapped out the engine and transmission in my M998. Went from 6.2L and Turbo 400 to 6.5L Turbo and 4L80e. I wanted to save some money on the Transmission control unit, so I purchased TCI's EZ-TCU after researching it. I need to get a reliable RPM signal from the engine. Some people have been saying using the "w" stator from the alternator. I have no idea what terminal is what, or if the 60 amp alternator even has one. If it does, can anyone tell me which stator it is. If not, can anyone recommend a good source of how to get engine rpm. Crank shaft speed sensor? Thank you in advance!

nanneye

I have a 60 amp alternator I used from the 6.2L engine. I reused all the accessories from the old engine. No need to replace good working parts. The motor runs great, I just am needing a reliable engine RPM signal for the TCU to read.

papakb

You went from a 6.2 / 400 TH to a 6.5 turbo / 4L80E and you wanted to save some money? Does anyone else see an oxymoron here? LOL

nanneye

You went from a 6.2 / 400 TH to a 6.5 turbo / 4L80E and you wanted to save some money? Does anyone else see an oxymoron here? LOL
If your comments aren't helpful, why bother writing them? Simply stating that the TCU I purchased was half the price of a Military TCU, not the overall project. I'm just trying to help anyone else that may run into this issue in the future.

papakb

Nanneye, I was tongue in cheek laughing at your post about saving money. I don't think there's any way a HMMWV owner will ever save money on one of these beasts unless you can get Uncle Sam to maintain it for you. The vehicle prices have gone sky high, the parts proces have gone sky high, and try to find an inexpensive mechanic anywhere in the country is an impossibility so unless you can do your own work you pay thru the nose for that too! Do you see now why your comment about saving money had me chuckling?

This board is here so that the long time owners like myself (18 years) can help the new guys, like you. It's all good natured heckling so my advise is lighten up a little and life will get better.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yeah, we joke a lot here on this board. I understand a new guy might not get it at first. Im thinking about going from a ds4 to a db2 IP, so I will have to keep this controller in mind if I decide to pull the trigger.

BLK HMMWV

Hey Gimpy
LMK if you do ever want one I have one I'm not using anymore. I installed it on my HMMWV for a few months before I decided to switch to the military controller and wiring harness.
BH

Hmmwvproject1

Hey Gimpy
LMK if you do ever want one I have one I'm not using anymore. I installed it on my HMMWV for a few months before I decided to switch to the military controller and wiring harness.
BH
I decided to go crazy and swap my 6.2 and th400 for 2006 6.5t/4l80e. I purchased TCi ex TCU. I know I know, I should have gone OEM, but I did what I did. Motor has tps sensor and crank rpm sensor. I plugged everything in, hooked red and black wire to rear battery, pink wire to 12v output on 200 amp generator and nothing. Do I needed to step down tps/rpm sensor or get a 24v to 12v inverter? Any advice? Side note, motor starts right up, all guages work.

Dock Rocker

I decided to go crazy and swap my 6.2 and th400 for 2006 6.5t/4l80e. I purchased TCi ex TCU. I know I know, I should have gone OEM, but I did what I did. Motor has tps sensor and crank rpm sensor. I plugged everything in, hooked red and black wire to rear battery, pink wire to 12v output on 200 amp generator and nothing. Do I needed to step down tps/rpm sensor or get a 24v to 12v inverter? Any advice? Side note, motor starts right up, all guages work.
I would hook the box to a known good 12v battery not on the truck and see if it comes on.

I would personally put in a 12 volt fuse panel and hook the controller to that with a proper fuse. I would hook the panel to the hot on the rear battery and the ground to a known good ground other than the battery.

Also you do have a dual output generator and you do know he batteries are charged?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmwvproject1

I would hook the box to a known good 12v battery not on the truck and see if it comes on.

I would personally put in a 12 volt fuse panel and hook the controller to that with a proper fuse. I would hook the panel to the hot on the rear battery and the ground to a known good ground other than the battery.

Also you do have a dual output generator and you do know he batteries are charged?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will try a 12v battery by it self.
I will give the fuse block a try.

The battery is charged. It is brand new. I tested it. I started the humvee with it. I even used alligator clamp cigarette lighter for the hand held. The hand held works just fine. The tcu doesn't appear to have any power.

Hmmwvproject1

I will try a 12v battery by it self.
I will give the fuse block a try.

The battery is charged. It is brand new. I tested it. I started the humvee with it. I even used alligator clamp cigarette lighter for the hand held. The hand held works just fine. The tcu doesn't appear to have any power.
Follow up: I got it to work. There is a pink wire that is to be wired to ignition. I had it on 200 amp generator 14v output. I set it to the ignition switch and that worked.

Now that I have that working I did the initial set up of the computer. But now I can't get over 60 mph. If I have full gas it will stay in 3rd. When I let off the gas it will go into over drive rpms drop like normal. If I press the gas again kicks back down to 3rd. And I'm stuck at 60 mph.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Follow up: I got it to work. There is a pink wire that is to be wired to ignition. I had it on 200 amp generator 14v output. I set it to the ignition switch and that worked.

Now that I have that working I did the initial set up of the computer. But now I can't get over 60 mph. If I have full gas it will stay in 3rd. When I let off the gas it will go into over drive rpms drop like normal. If I press the gas again kicks back down to 3rd. And I'm stuck at 60 mph.
that pink wire is 12volts...hope you didn’t take it off the start switch or I see smoke in your future

Hmmwvproject1

that pink wire is 12volts...hope you didn’t take it off the start switch or I see smoke in your future
I appreciate the heads up. I ran a wire from ignition to 24v to 12v step down and hooked the pink wire to the 12v side.

After all this trouble, I'm thinking body harness and OEM TCM maybe in my future. I'm just hoping I can get it to go over 60 until that day comes.

Hmmwvproject1

I appreciate the heads up. I ran a wire from ignition to 24v to 12v step down and hooked the pink wire to the 12v side.

After all this trouble, I'm thinking body harness and OEM TCM maybe in my future. I'm just hoping I can get it to go over 60 until that day comes.
Update:

After phone calls with TCI and a trip to a local mechanic, I sent back TCU and received a new TCU from TCI. Hooked up configured and now when it shifts into 3rd it acts like it is in neutral.

Quickly give everyone back story. Replaced 94 a1 6.2 th400 242 with 2006 6.5 TD 4l80e 242 from scrapped a2 (no body or engine harness). I was told everything worked and running. Swapped motor and runs good after New injectors installed. The TD already had tps, crankshaft position sensor CPS but white/black wires cut at valve cover. Spliced into CPS wires and plugged into where 6.2 tach sending unit plugged in. After checking volts to ensure below 5v I spliced TCU rpm wire. I plugged into 4l80e main plug (which I had to drop the 4l80 pan and swap internal wire harness because plug was damaged when pulled out). Tci harness only has one plug for the OSS and nothing for the ISS. I didn't plug anything into ISS plug. Is that where I went wrong? Or could it be my set up of the CPS? Or do I need new solenoids and pressure manifold? This is my first swap like this so any help would be greatly appreciated. I won't be offended if you tell me what I did wrong, just want to learn how to do it correctly. Thanks

Perkman87

Update:

After phone calls with TCI and a trip to a local mechanic, I sent back TCU and received a new TCU from TCI. Hooked up configured and now when it shifts into 3rd it acts like it is in neutral.

Quickly give everyone back story. Replaced 94 a1 6.2 th400 242 with 2006 6.5 TD 4l80e 242 from scrapped a2 (no body or engine harness). I was told everything worked and running. Swapped motor and runs good after New injectors installed. The TD already had tps, crankshaft position sensor CPS but white/black wires cut at valve cover. Spliced into CPS wires and plugged into where 6.2 tach sending unit plugged in. After checking volts to ensure below 5v I spliced TCU rpm wire. I plugged into 4l80e main plug (which I had to drop the 4l80 pan and swap internal wire harness because plug was damaged when pulled out). Tci harness only has one plug for the OSS and nothing for the ISS. I didn't plug anything into ISS plug. Is that where I went wrong? Or could it be my set up of the CPS? Or do I need new solenoids and pressure manifold? This is my first swap like this so any help would be greatly appreciated. I won't be offended if you tell me what I did wrong, just want to learn how to do it correctly. Thanks
problem is the speed for the lockup. I think the speed reading may be off as its coming from the transmission speed not the actual speed of the vehicle. My tci states I am going 100mph when in fact I am only going 49mph. I set the tc lockup at 100mph and it seemed to help but I think the TCI ecm is not saving my data. I have to reset it every time I go out. I also seemed to have burned up a brand new transmission with this ecm setup. I am going to get it rebuilt and try one last time before swapping out to a US Trans controller. I am pushing much more than stock but within 10 miles it is slipping. TCI is not very helpful. Also check your voltage on the tpi sensor and ensure it is at the correct level.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks