• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

$1.58 tubing finally fixed my doors. No more slamming.

rodent

Ever since I bought the truck, I've always had to slam the doors REALLY hard. I know the plastic bushing was missing form the door strikers but I didn't think it would make this much of a difference.

Went out and bought some 1/2" Pex tubing in white at Home Depot for $1.58 for 5 feet. Cut off 3/4" and put it over the door striker on both sides.
No more slamming of the doors!

How to video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS_eRtSdw-A

Another option is to buy new strikers for $11 each.

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Saw the post and was also having almost same issue.
Always worse when windows rolled up because of air pressure inside.

Already had PEX on hand in red and blue. Used Red.
Took less than 10 minutes
Problem solved.

It will never close like a Cadillac, but it’s 100% better.

Worthy of a stickie.

Attachments

Last edited:

cucvrus

Been using 1/2" rubber hose for years. And my Cadillac has a different striker system. Or as some say Ratillac. long story but I had a few mice up in the headliner and A/C vents when I bought the car. They were living high class rent free until the eviction came. Have a great day. With the rubber hose you have to remove the striker this will be easier for those not wanting to adjust the door.

Hulkdeisel

THE BEST FIX EVER... did it yesterday absolutely worked perfect no more slamming doors! Nice call whoever thought of this. Only works on post type striker tried on my 76 Scout..no beuno :x

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Several years ago I bought a box of 25 factory made striker bushings. It was less than $10. Still have a few left. Will switch over to pex when I run out.

D6T

I wanted to post a huge “thank you” to rodent for this thread. Ever since I read the last few posts, I’ve meant to try this trick. Today I finally got around to buying the tubing and the result was astonishing!! My driver’s door closed perfectly for the first time!! Easily and relatively quietly with no slamming or repeated attempts to close.

[thumbzup]

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After 8 months, the PEX I installed isn’t showing hardly any signs of wear.

Definitely a must do item if factory bushing is missing.

Keith_J

PEX is tube, PVC is pipe. 1/2" pipe has an ID of 1/2", give or take. Tube is based on OD. PEX is a much tougher polymer and has good lubricity. PVC pipe has calcium carbonate powder in it, causing more friction.

Twigiestdrip

Do these pex tubes come in different hardness levels? The ones I installed only a few weeks ago started to show the same wear marks that the original studs were showing. I have to keep rotating the pex in order to give the latch a fresh surface.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do these pex tubes come in different hardness levels? The ones I installed only a few weeks ago started to show the same wear marks that the original studs were showing. I have to keep rotating the pex in order to give the latch a fresh surface.
PEX is all the same I believe, just different colors.

I’ve had mine installed for over 8 months and hardly a mark on it.

Have you adjusted your door post?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks