Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: registering an M35A2 for use in CT

Corporal
    Thanks

Default registering an M35A2 for use in CT

Hi everybody, new member here. I figure i'll post this question here before attempting to contact the DMV.

I'm buying a 1971 M35A2 dump truck, for personal use as a dump truck. Mostly around the farm, but I want to be able to haul gravel, mulch, manure, etc... on the street for my own use (not commercial use) It's coming from NY state, so it won't have a CT title (or any title for that matter at that age)

I've heard of people registering them as "Classic Vehicle", which seems like an applicable registration, but I've also heard that comes with restrictions on carrying loads (<500 lbs only), which won't work for me. is that true?

If I register as a commercial vehicle, how do I go about doing that? seems like a pain in the butt.

So, for those of you in CT, what have you registered your vehicles as?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,787 Times in 2,745 Posts

It looks like they don't allow personal use with a farm plate so that probably won't work.
    but here is a link to look at.
    http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=4755&q=568646

MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 863 Posts

Mike,
    Is your farm registered with the state and USDA? If so, go with the farm tags. Hauling gravel, mulch and manure are all farm commodities.
    I'm not saying let's eliminate all the stupid people. I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

1997 M35A3C, 1987 M35A2C, 1973 M35A2C, 1971 M813A1 W/W, 1985 M931A1, 1985 M925, 1972 m817, 1984 M936, 1984 M923, M105A1 (4ea), 1972 M38A1, MEP 002a on M116A3. MEP531A, MEP501s
    2 dogs, 2 cats
    MVPA, NRA, AOPA

Satisfied BEEFCO customer.

Corporal
    Thanks

I should have mentioned, no, I'm still building a farm. I don't meet the requirements for farm tags yet

Thanks
    Thanked 2,894 Times in 1,429 Posts

Hopefully you WILL be keeping it 'green..AND clean'..for the shows you are to attend also? Welcome to the site and hobby.
    DIAMOND T M20.
    M54A2 I.H. M62. wrecker
    M54A2 5 Ton (with Praga command station surveillance body fitted)
    M45 530C TFFT fire truck
    1942 Ford Jeep (with underfloor tulsa winch)
    1945 Willys Jeep (with V8 flathead Engine) And overdrive.
    Packard Staff car. (WW11. General Pattern Tribute).
    Ural Military Motorcycle.
    Ex Army Hyster 4 ton Fork lift.
    Onan 7.5 kw ex army generator.

Private
    Thanks

I'll be watching this thread. I'm in the same boat. M35A3 out of NY looking to register in CT. I hear we may need to build a bumper for the rear, and make sure the mud flaps are intact. Not sure what other tips and tricks to getting them registered. Hoping to get mine registered in March. Good Luck.

Corporal
    Thanks

Not totally sure what you mean by green & clean, but I assume you mean green paint, and keeping it clean.

I'm not going to intentionally abuse it, but I am planning to put it to work as a dump truck that won't get stuck in my epic mud. That's why I'm buying it. The "cool old military vehicle" aspect is definitely secondary for me. Not sure if I'll actually show it. It might see some time on the show circuit

Corporal
    Thanks

ok, so I waited on hold for 45 minutes to the DMV.

Talked to some guy, who had to go ask several people, and his answer was: "If you register as a classic, you can only use it for classic vehicle purposes, like parades and such. As soon as you put anything in the bed, you need a combination registration"

I asked multiple times "what statute or law do I look at to see this in writing?" and he just kept repeating "classic vehicle is only for classic type activities" Finally, after about the 4th ask, he said "I don't know sir, you'll find it online somewhere"

Grrrr. You want something done right, you have to do it yourself. Looks like i'll need to read the ENTIRE ct motor vehicle statutes, to see if I can find anything.

He did also say "Over 12K you need a medical certificate" despite the fact that CDL is over 26k (and I don't need one of those)

Thanks

Nobody at the DMV knows anything. You are on your own. I've read the CT laws front to back regarding this. I will comment here, but don't consider me an expert.

My M35a2 is registered here in CT as an antique. Early American, Historical, or Classic, whatever it is called at this point. I have the registration renewal in front of me. It shows nothing in the GVWR or weight sections. Fact is, after reading the laws, there are no restriction in the CT statutes that say anything about what you can and can't do with Antique registration here.

I can drive the truck anywhere, with anything in the bed under the CDL weight limit. I am not for hire, and the truck is for personal use only. This is important. As long as it is personal use, the commercial laws do not apply. Plate it, insure it, and you can haul and tow whatever you want. You will have to jump through hoops in order to register it though, as you implied. The dmv requires a huge rear bumper and other safety things. On paper, you are required to go to the DMV itself for the VIN check, where they will run you through the ringer. Military trucks have to go to the actual DMV inspection for the VIN check.

Note that the satellite VIN check places, emissions stations, can do the VIN check for what they consider non-military vehicles. Reread my first sentence and the previous sentence together.

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2011/rpt/2011-R-0410.htm
    Last edited by skinnyR1; 02-28-2018 at 14:11.

4 Star General /Moderator doghead's Avatar
    MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,867 Times in 6,000 Posts

Won't you need a collector insurance/historical insurance policy to get the Antique plate?

If so, surely your insurance forbids use as described above.
    M817, M818, M819, M35A2 w/w, M35A2, M109, M105, M116A2, M101A2, Pioneer tool trailer, MEP-002, MEP-017A, 5ton winch shear pins, Oral-B toothbrush

Ah Beefco Industries Northeast marketing associate

Don't judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=12&v=T6BTcEwtmZo

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast