• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

registering an M35A2 for use in CT

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
As far as I know there is only one "classic" plate for 20 years and older. Up to 2014 DMV was issuing "early american" plates but they switched over to the classic plate. Other than a statute authorizing DMV to issue the plate and a property tax value limit of 500 dollars on the vehicle registered as such there isnt much other info to find on it. The classic car collectors lobbied a few years ago and got their way. Whatever statute restrictions there were, was wiped off the books.

Mike944

I've been going cross-eyed over the last few days, reading the CT motor vehicle statutes. So far, I haven't found anything to indicate any restrictions on Classic/Historical/Antique plates.

I did find that in the 14-1(17) definition section, they clearly indicate commercial registrations are for vehicles engaged in businesses. In 14-1(16), they also indicate that "Commercial Vehicle" is anything over 26,001 lbs, OR designed to carry 16 or more passengers, OR to transport 10 or more students under 21, OR transporting hazardous materials.

(16) “Commercial motor vehicle” means a vehicle designed or used to transport passengers or property, except a vehicle used for farming purposes in accordance with 49 CFR 383.3(d), fire fighting apparatus or an emergency vehicle, as defined in section 14-283, or a recreational vehicle in private use, which (A) has a gross vehicle weight rating of twenty-six thousand and one pounds or more, or a gross combination weight rating of twenty-six thousand and one pounds or more, inclusive of a towed unit or units with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than ten thousand pounds; (B) is designed to transport sixteen or more passengers, including the driver, or is designed to transport more than ten passengers, including the driver, and is used to transport students under the age of twenty-one years to and from school; or (C) is transporting hazardous materials and is required to be placarded in accordance with 49 CFR 172, Subpart F, as amended, or any quantity of a material listed as a select agent or toxin in 42 CFR Part 73;

14-1(17) “Commercial registration” means the type of registration required for any motor vehicle designed or used to transport merchandise, freight or persons in connection with any business enterprise...

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
But you are not operating commercially. Its a big toy that you are using for some yard work around your own property. None of that applies. Dont think too much into it.

Mike944

sorry, I forgot to clarify. You are correct. None of those apply to me. I'm using the above text to justify that those DON'T apply to me. I'm using it for personal use

Mike944

Just a bill of sale, and expired registrations. NY state doesn't issue titles prior to 1973. I'm pretty sure i'll have to get a letter from the NY DMV stating he was the last registered owner.

If vehicle is not title in that state, valid registration from previous owner is
needed. If registration is expired, they will need to obtain a letter of
registration verification from their previous state DMV.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Nope the bill of sale and expired reg is fine. Use them to get a vin verification at your local garage. Over 20 years CT could care less about paperwork. If you had none there is a form you fill out stating where you got the vehicle.

Timeline98

I have a bill of sale and NY Title but mine is a '93. I'm hoping to get it registered this week if it all works out. Not sure if I have to put the vehicle weight or GVW on any of the forms.
Mike, that dump body I'm sure is going to come in handy. : ) Good Luck

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Use the title to get a vin verification and go reg it. Play dumb at dmv never give them any additional info. Over 20 years you want to reg antique and its a pickup truck.

Willyk

Ct DMV made me write a letter to the Ct DOT commissioner (and notarized) letting them know that my 923 will never be used for commercial purposes. Seriously.

Mike944

Use the title to get a vin verification and go reg it. Play dumb at dmv never give them any additional info. Over 20 years you want to reg antique and its a pickup truck.
Update and a question:

As of this past Saturday It's registered as a classic!

My question is though, they didn't put down the light weight, GVWR, or 3 axles on the registration document. I definitely put that down on the application. Is this a problem? For others who have them registered in CT as classic, is there any weight on your registration?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks