• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Calling on all Michigan Historic Military Vehicle Owners

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Michigan New Military Vehicle Bill Proposal

View attachment Amendment to MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE Act 300 of 1949.docxWith everything going on about ex military vehicles, I received news that Senator Hopgood is willing to help.
So I'm passing this on, hopefully I have this posted in the right place, if not please move it
Better have an Historic plate than no plate at all.

All Michigan Historic Military Vehicle Owners.
State Senator HopGood is spearheading a bill in Lansing that
would create a new class of “Historic Military Vehicles” whose titling would
parallel our “authenticated” antique vehicles and plates issued by the
Secretary of State.
Special class, special plate, $35.00 lifetime fee, no updates
required for emissions, passive restraints, etc.
The vehicle would use a collector plate (we have a design
done and it cool as ****) and not to be used for everyday use, but to be
used for exhibitions, parades, car/military club activities, swap meets,
maintenance and testing, tours and similar activities. It would require
insurance at all times.
It would cover both foreign built and domestic for the Kubel gang,
Pinzgauers, British wheeled armor, etc.
If you live in Michigan, please call the Senator’s office at
517-373-7800 and politely inform his office staff that you support the Bill (no
number yet) and wish it become law in Michigan.
They might ask for your address so they have an understanding
of where the support is coming from and the work with the respective legislator
in those parts of the state.
You can call or visit the office of your state representative
and state senator and tell them directly that you support the bill.
The time has come for us to speak up.
Senator Hopgood senhhopgood@senate.michigan.gov

You may also contact Charles Miller Legislative Aide/Constituent Services Office of Senator Hoon-Yung Hopgood 517-373-7800
View attachment Amendment to MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE Act 300 of 1949.docx

Last edited:

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please let us know how this works out . I have been thinking about something similar for my state . They have every other plate so a plate for MV's would be great .

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With everything going on about ex military vehicles, I received news that Senator Hopgood is willing to help.
So I'm passing this on, hopefully I have this posted in the right place, if not please move it
Better have an Historic plate than no plate at all.

All Michigan Historic Military Vehicle Owners.
State Senator HopGood is spearheading a bill in Lansing that
would create a new class of “Historic Military Vehicles” whose titling would
parallel our “authenticated” antique vehicles and plates issued by the

Secretary of State.
Special class, special plate, $35.00 lifetime fee, no updates
required for emissions, passive restraints, etc.
The vehicle would use a collector plate (we have a design

done and it cool as ****) and not to be used for everyday use, but to be
used for exhibitions, parades, car/military club activities, swap meets,
maintenance and testing, tours and similar activities. It would require
insurance at all times.

It would cover both foreign built and domestic for the Kubel gang,
Pinzgauers, British wheeled armor, etc.
If you live in Michigan, please call the Senator’s office at
517-373-7800 and politely inform his office staff that you support the Bill (no
number yet) and wish it become law in Michigan.
They might ask for your address so they have an understanding

of where the support is coming from and the work with the respective legislator
in those parts of the state.
You can call or visit the office of your state representative
and state senator and tell them directly that you support the bill.
The time has come for us to speak up.

Senator Hopgood senhhopgood@senate.michigan.gov

When you copy and paste to black type it makes it really hard to read on a OD background.
I fixed this one for you .

Also I want to see a copy of the Bill before I support it , some of these bills to get HMMWV's registered are hurting deuce and 5 ton owners.

attached 1st section showing excluded in august.

Attachments

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you porkysplace, you the man.
Just to clarify , the reason I want to see it first is I won't support a bill that limits use of MV's that have been sold without any restrictions and can be plated however you want now , so HMMWV's that were sold with a "OFF ROAD ONLY" clause can be registered.
1.) I don't feel CUCV, 5 TON, M37, M38, M35, ect. should give up use of our trucks
so HMMWV's can be register when buyers agreed to the "OFF ROAD ONLY' clause when they bought them.
2.) The state will lose money considering if you want to use a M35 for hauling the plates cost $500 a year if you register legally to use for general use.

I also I read some debate in another today about how will they know a CUCV is military vehicle as they are just pick-ups and K5 blazers?
Well that is easy and probably already in the system software as the 5th digit of the VIN is "D" which designates "military 4 x 4".

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@porkysplace
I have requested the draft of the bill, once I get it I will post it.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bump Proposed Bill is attached
I'm not really sure I like it , there are some things that are alright but others that are not.
As it is wrote Must be 25 years old , so nothing newer than 1993 at this point.
It also has all the restrictions of current classic plates ( no cargo ect. )
But also does not allow for unlimited driving during august like all other historic plated cars are allowed to do.

They did do a got job on the manufactures I think still got to spend more in depth study of that part.

Since this is a bill that restricts a already restrictive historic plate law is the majority of owners happy with and going to accept that all MV's currently registered as historic can no longer drive anytime in august like they now can?
As written it is taking rights away from currently registered MV's so MV's sold as "OFF ROAD ONLY' can by registered with more restrictions than other historic vehicles .

I don't support it as written , but as long as I can pay my $500 a year and use my deuce how I want I'm not totally against it.
See proposed bill below ( most people don't dig for links)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------Amendment to
Michigan Vehicle Code
Act 300 of 1949

257.20a “Historic vehicle” defined.
Sec. 20a. "Historic vehicle" means a vehicle or any Military Surplus Vehicle, that is over 25 years old, and that is owned solely as a
Collector’s item and for participation in organizational activities, exhibitions, tours, parades and similar uses, including occasional personal use and Mechanical testing, but is not used for general transportation. For purposes of this section, use of the vehicle during the month of August in each year is considered an exhibition.
History: Add. 1996, Act 404, Eff. Dec. 21, 1996;¾Am. 2012, Act 239, Imd. Eff. June 29, 2012.

257.20b "Military Surplus vehicle" defined.
“Military Surplus Vehicle” means any High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled , Rubber Half Tracked vehicle or any motor vehicle made for military usage and that was manufactured by or under the direction of the United States Armed Forces, (TACOM), or any country, and subsequently authorized for sale to civilian market. To include, but not limited to such common manufacturers as, Bantam, Willys, Jeep, Ford, Checker, White, GMC, Chrysler, Kaiser, AM GENERAL, International, Mack, Autocar, REO, Diamond T, Harley-Davidson, Indian, Studebaker, Federal, Pacific Car and Foundry, American Motors, General Dynamics, CONDEC, Ward-LaFrance, Stewart and Stevenson, Brockway, FWD, FMC, Cadillac Gauge, American Car and Foundry, or Oshkosh. Also, to include the use of common names or models like, but not limited to: DUKW, HMMWV, HUMVEE, MUTT, DUCK, MB, JEEP, GPW, CCKW, M38, M37, M35, M151, M998.

257.216 Vehicles subject to registration and certificate of title provisions; exceptions.
Sec. 216. Every motor vehicle, including Surplus Military vehicles, recreational vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer when driven or moved on a street or highway, is subject to the registration and certificate of title provisions of this act except
the following:
(a) A vehicle driven or moved on a street or highway in conformance with the provisions of this act
relating to manufacturers, transporters, dealers, or nonresidents.
(b) A vehicle that is driven or moved on a street or highway only for the purpose of crossing that street or
highway from 1 property to another.
(c) An implement of husbandry.
(d) Special mobile equipment. The secretary of state may issue a special registration to an individual,
partnership, corporation, or association not licensed as a dealer that pays the required fee, to identify special
mobile equipment that is driven or moved on a street or highway.
(e) A vehicle that is propelled exclusively by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires though
not operated on rails.
(f) Any vehicle subject to registration, but owned by the government of the United States.
Rendered Wednesday, February 7, 2018 Page 35 Michigan Compiled Laws Complete Through PA 10 of 2018
Ó Legislative Council, State of Michigan Courtesy of www.legislature.mi.gov
(g) A certificate of title is not required for a trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer that weighs less than 2,500
pounds.
(h) A vehicle driven or moved on a street or highway, by the most direct route, only for the purpose of
securing a scale weight receipt from a weighmaster for purposes of section 801 or obtaining a vehicle
inspection by a law enforcement agency before titling or registration of that vehicle.
(i) A certificate of title is not required for a vehicle owned by a manufacturer or dealer and held for sale or
lease, even though incidentally moved on a street or highway or used for purposes of testing or demonstration.
(j) A bus or a school bus that is not self-propelled and is used exclusively as a construction shanty.
(k) A certificate of title is not required for a moped.
(l) For 3 days immediately following the date of a properly assigned title or signed lease agreement from
any person other than a dealer, a registration is not required for a vehicle driven or moved on a street or
highway for the sole purpose of transporting the vehicle by the most direct route from the place of purchase or
lease to a place of storage if the driver has in his or her possession the assigned title showing the date of sale
or a lease agreement showing the date of the lease.
(m) A certificate of registration is not required for a pickup camper, but a certificate of title is required.
(n) A new motor vehicle driven or moved on a street or highway only for the purpose of moving the
vehicle from an accident site to a storage location if the vehicle was being transported on a railroad car or
semitrailer that was involved in a disabling accident.
(o) A boat lift used for transporting vessels between a marina or a body of water and a place of inland
storage.
History: 1949, Act 300, Eff. Sept. 23, 1949;¾Am. 1951, Act 69, Eff. Sept. 28, 1951;¾Am. 1953, Act 110, Eff. Oct. 2, 1953;¾Am.
1957, Act 110, Imd. Eff. May 24, 1957;¾Am. 1959, Act 155, Eff. Mar. 19, 1960;¾Am. 1964, Act 248, Eff. Jan. 1, 1965;¾Am. 1968,
Act 139, Imd. Eff. June 11, 1968;¾Am. 1974, Act 70, Eff. Apr. 1, 1975;¾Am. 1976, Act 74, Imd. Eff. Apr. 11, 1976;¾Am. 1976, Act
439, Imd. Eff. Jan. 13, 1977;¾Am. 1981, Act 75, Imd. Eff. June 30, 1981;¾Am. 1983, Act 186, Imd. Eff. Oct. 25, 1983;¾Am. 1985,
Act 32, Imd. Eff. June 13, 1985;¾Am. 1988, Act 214, Imd. Eff. June 30, 1988;¾Am. 1989, Act 286, Imd. Eff. Dec. 26, 1989;¾Am.
1990, Act 98, Eff. Jan. 1, 1991;¾Am. 1992, Act 102, Imd. Eff. June 25, 1992;¾Am. 1996, Act 141, Imd. Eff. Mar. 25, 1996;¾Am.
2002, Act 642, Eff. Jan. 1, 2003;¾Am. 2008, Act 539, Imd. Eff. Jan. 13, 2009;¾Am. 2009, Act 32, Eff. Dec. 1, 2009.

257.803a Issuance of historic vehicle, historic military vehicle registration plate or registration tab; fee; certification;
registration certificate; registration transferable; expiration or revocation of registration.
Sec. 803a. (1) The secretary of state may issue to the owner of an historic vehicle an historic vehicle
registration plate which shall bear the inscription “historical vehicle - Michigan” and the registration number.
Rendered Wednesday, February 7, 2018 Page 341 Michigan Compiled Laws Complete Through PA 10 of 2018
(2) The owner of an historic vehicle applying for an historic vehicle registration plate or a registration tab
under this section shall pay a fee of $30.00, shall certify that the vehicle for which the registration is requested
is owned and operated solely as an historic vehicle, and shall certify that the vehicle has been inspected and
found safe to operate on the highways of this state. The registration certificate need not specify the weight of
the historic vehicle. The registration issued under this section is transferable to another historic vehicle upon
completion of the application for transfer and payment of the fee in the manner described in section 809.
(3) A registration issued under this section shall expire on April 15 in the tenth year following the date of
issuance of the registration.
(4) The secretary of state may revoke a registration issued under this section, for cause shown and after a
hearing, for failure of the applicant to comply with this section, for use of the vehicle for which the
registration was issued for purposes other than those enumerated in section 20a, or because the vehicle is not
safe to operate on the highways of this state.
(5) The secretary of state may issue to the owner of an historic military vehicle as defined by 257.20b of this act, an historic military vehicle registration plate which shall bear the inscription “Historic Military Vehicle - Michigan” and the registration number.
History: Add. 1951, Act 144, Eff. Sept. 28, 1951;¾Am. 1961, Act 186, Eff. Sept. 8, 1961;¾Am. 1978, Act 427, Imd. Eff. Sept. 30,
1978;¾Am. 1980, Act 398, Eff. Mar. 31, 1981;¾Am. 1980, Act 476, Eff. Mar. 31, 1981;¾Am. 1981, Act 225, Imd. Eff. Jan. 6, 1982;
¾Am. 1987, Act 190, Eff. Apr. 15, 1988;¾Am. 1987, Act 238, Imd. Eff. Dec. 28, 1987;¾Am. 1990, Act 347, Imd. Eff. Dec. 26, 1990;
¾Am. 1996, Act 404, Eff. Dec. 21, 1996.

257.803s Historical military vehicle Michigan registration plate; fee; certification; registration certificate;
transferability; validity; revocation of registration.
Sec. 803s. (1) The owner of an historical military vehicle may use an historical military Michigan registration plate.
The plate shall be “Olive Drab” in color with White letters and a White Star with the words “Historic Military Vehicle – Michigan”.
(2) The owner of an historic military vehicle applying to use an historic military vehicle - Michigan registration plate under this
section shall pay a fee of $35.00, shall certify that the vehicle for which the registration is requested is owned
and operated solely as an historic military vehicle, and shall certify that the vehicle has been inspected and found safe
to operate on the highways of this state. The registration certificate need not specify the weight of the historic
military vehicle. The registration issued under this section is not transferable to another historic military vehicle.
(3) A registration issued under this section shall remain valid until the registrant either sells, transfers, or
scraps the vehicle or modifies the vehicle in a manner that requires the issuance of a new certificate of title for
the vehicle under this act.
(4) After a hearing and for cause shown, the secretary of state may revoke a registration issued under this
section for failure of the applicant to comply with this section, for use of the vehicle for which the registration
was issued for purposes other than those enumerated in section 20b, or because the vehicle is not safe to
operate on the highways of this state.

Last edited:

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@porkysplace
I will forward your concerns to editors of the document
It's the beginning of it, so I am certain that they will be a few amendment's before it is introduced
This is not about one person, but about everybody who owns a MV, all comments are welcome.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the reply from one of the editor's

Hello with regards to the August portion we were waiting for revision to come back from the Senators office so we can tell them to keep that in there. We didn’t want to just bombard them with everything at once. Obviously this is if people want to register it as historic this should not harm you from getting a normal plate in my personal opinion but that is my opinion only and if you haven’t already registered as a regular vehicle you should be able to do so just like I have my 69 Corvette that I could register that with a normal plate but instead I have it registered with Historic plate so it’s the same concept with military one

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the reply from one of the editor's

Hello with regards to the August portion we were waiting for revision to come back from the Senators office so we can tell them to keep that in there. We didn’t want to just bombard them with everything at once. Obviously this is if people want to register it as historic this should not harm you from getting a normal plate in my personal opinion but that is my opinion only and if you haven’t already registered as a regular vehicle you should be able to do so just like I have my 69 Corvette that I could register that with a normal plate but instead I have it registered with Historic plate so it’s the same concept with military one
It looks like we will have wait to see the final draft. But one thing I do know about politicans is never trust their opinion , because the next guy that wants a different opinion they will tell them their opinion matches what they want to here.
Somebody went out of their way to exclude MV's from the august no restriction part , other wise it would be a copy and paste of the current law with MV's added .

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks porkysplace, your input is appreciated, it would be nice if other MI members would chime in as you do.

paradeduty

Only reasoning I can see to excluding from August "open" usage might be the disdain frequently expressed by some "classic car" and "hot rod" folks toward the collectible military vehicles at events. Have experienced it a bunch myself and would not be surprised if it had roots in that mindset. I know that last year the "heavy vehicles" were excluded from participation in the Woodward Dream Cruise because "they were too dangerous" even though it was a corvette that caused a bunch of trouble earlier.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We should have a reply from Senator Hopgood's Office in a few weeks
Stay tuned...

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My deuce is registered historical in Michigan. Historical insurance as well and the plate is in the glovebox.
I would think anyone with a tan truck wouldn't want a OD plate , but it really don't matter since like your's there is no need to display a plate on MV's.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the latest version that has been sent to Senator Hopgood's Office

View attachment 720272

When I copied this from the link I got this message , so there could be things missing. But trying to preserve the changes rather than have dead links when they get deleted.
[ WordPad does not support all of the features of this document's format. Some content might be missing or displayed improperly. ]

Amendment to
Michigan Vehicle Code
Act 300 of 1949

257.20a “Historic vehicle” defined.
Sec. 20a. "Historic vehicle" means a vehicle or any Military Surplus Vehicle, that is over 25 years old, and that is owned solely as a
Collector’s item and for participation in organizational activities, exhibitions, tours, parades and similar uses, including occasional personal use and Mechanical testing, but is not used for general transportation. For purposes of this section, use of the vehicle during the month of August in each year is considered an exhibition.
History: Add. 1996, Act 404, Eff. Dec. 21, 1996;¾Am. 2012, Act 239, Imd. Eff. June 29, 2012.

257.20b "Military Surplus vehicle" defined.
“Military Surplus Vehicle” means any High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled, Rubber Half Tracked vehicle, military trailer or any motor vehicle made for military usage and that was manufactured by or under the direction of the United States Armed Forces, (TACOM), or any country, and subsequently authorized for sale to civilian market. To include, but not limited to such common manufacturers as, Bantam, Willys, Jeep, Ford, Checker, White, GMC, Chrysler, Kaiser, AM GENERAL, International, Mack, Autocar, REO, Diamond T, Harley-Davidson, Indian, Studebaker, Federal, Pacific Car and Foundry, American Motors, General Dynamics, CONDEC, Ward-LaFrance, Stewart and Stevenson, Brockway, FWD, FMC, Cadillac Gauge, American Car and Foundry, or Oshkosh. Also, to include the use of common names or models like, but not limited to: DUKW, HMMWV, HUMVEE, MUTT, DUCK, MB, JEEP, GPW, CCKW, M38, M37, M35, M151, M998.

257.216 Vehicles subject to registration and certificate of title provisions; exceptions.
Sec. 216. Every motor vehicle, including Surplus Military vehicles, recreational vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer when driven or moved on a street or highway, is subject to the registration and certificate of title provisions of this act except
the following:
(a) A vehicle driven or moved on a street or highway in conformance with the provisions of this act
relating to manufacturers, transporters, dealers, or nonresidents.
(b) A vehicle that is driven or moved on a street or highway only for the purpose of crossing that street or
highway from 1 property to another.
(c) An implement of husbandry.
(d) Special mobile equipment. The secretary of state may issue a special registration to an individual,
partnership, corporation, or association not licensed as a dealer that pays the required fee, to identify special
mobile equipment that is driven or moved on a street or highway.
(e) A vehicle that is propelled exclusively by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires though
not operated on rails.
(f) Any vehicle subject to registration, but owned by the government of the United States.
Rendered Wednesday, February 7, 2018 Page 35 Michigan Compiled Laws Complete Through PA 10 of 2018
(g) A certificate of title is not required for a trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer that weighs less than 2,500
pounds.
(h) A vehicle driven or moved on a street or highway, by the most direct route, only for the purpose of
securing a scale weight receipt from a weighmaster for purposes of section 801 or obtaining a vehicle
inspection by a law enforcement agency before titling or registration of that vehicle.
(i) A certificate of title is not required for a vehicle owned by a manufacturer or dealer and held for sale or
lease, even though incidentally moved on a street or highway or used for purposes of testing or demonstration.
(j) A bus or a school bus that is not self-propelled and is used exclusively as a construction shanty.
(k) A certificate of title is not required for a moped.
(l) For 3 days immediately following the date of a properly assigned title or signed lease agreement from
any person other than a dealer, a registration is not required for a vehicle driven or moved on a street or
highway for the sole purpose of transporting the vehicle by the most direct route from the place of purchase or
lease to a place of storage if the driver has in his or her possession the assigned title showing the date of sale
or a lease agreement showing the date of the lease.
(m) A certificate of registration is not required for a pickup camper, but a certificate of title is required.
(n) A new motor vehicle driven or moved on a street or highway only for the purpose of moving the
vehicle from an accident site to a storage location if the vehicle was being transported on a railroad car or
semitrailer that was involved in a disabling accident.
(o) A boat lift used for transporting vessels between a marina or a body of water and a place of inland
storage.
History: 1949, Act 300, Eff. Sept. 23, 1949;¾Am. 1951, Act 69, Eff. Sept. 28, 1951;¾Am. 1953, Act 110, Eff. Oct. 2, 1953;¾Am.
1957, Act 110, Imd. Eff. May 24, 1957;¾Am. 1959, Act 155, Eff. Mar. 19, 1960;¾Am. 1964, Act 248, Eff. Jan. 1, 1965;¾Am. 1968,
Act 139, Imd. Eff. June 11, 1968;¾Am. 1974, Act 70, Eff. Apr. 1, 1975;¾Am. 1976, Act 74, Imd. Eff. Apr. 11, 1976;¾Am. 1976, Act
439, Imd. Eff. Jan. 13, 1977;¾Am. 1981, Act 75, Imd. Eff. June 30, 1981;¾Am. 1983, Act 186, Imd. Eff. Oct. 25, 1983;¾Am. 1985,
Act 32, Imd. Eff. June 13, 1985;¾Am. 1988, Act 214, Imd. Eff. June 30, 1988;¾Am. 1989, Act 286, Imd. Eff. Dec. 26, 1989;¾Am.
1990, Act 98, Eff. Jan. 1, 1991;¾Am. 1992, Act 102, Imd. Eff. June 25, 1992;¾Am. 1996, Act 141, Imd. Eff. Mar. 25, 1996;¾Am.
2002, Act 642, Eff. Jan. 1, 2003;¾Am. 2008, Act 539, Imd. Eff. Jan. 13, 2009;¾Am. 2009, Act 32, Eff. Dec. 1, 2009.

257.803a Issuance of historic vehicle, historic military vehicle registration plate or registration tab; fee; certification;
registration certificate; registration transferable; expiration or revocation of registration.
Sec. 803a. (1) The secretary of state may issue to the owner of an historic vehicle an historic vehicle
registration plate which shall bear the inscription “historical vehicle - Michigan” and the registration number.
Rendered Wednesday, February 7, 2018 Page 341 Michigan Compiled Laws Complete Through PA 10 of 2018
(2) The owner of an historic vehicle applying for an historic vehicle registration plate or a registration tab
under this section shall pay a fee of $30.00, shall certify that the vehicle for which the registration is requested
is owned and operated solely as an historic vehicle, and shall certify that the vehicle has been inspected and
found safe to operate on the highways of this state. The registration certificate need not specify the weight of
the historic vehicle. The registration issued under this section is transferable to another historic vehicle upon
completion of the application for transfer and payment of the fee in the manner described in section 809.
(3) A registration issued under this section shall expire on April 15 in the tenth year following the date of
issuance of the registration.
(4) The secretary of state may revoke a registration issued under this section, for cause shown and after a
hearing, for failure of the applicant to comply with this section, for use of the vehicle for which the
registration was issued for purposes other than those enumerated in section 20a, or because the vehicle is not
safe to operate on the highways of this state.
(5) The secretary of state may issue to the owner of an historic military vehicle as defined by 257.20b of this act, an historic military vehicle registration plate which shall bear the inscription “Historic Military Vehicle - Michigan” and the registration number.
History: Add. 1951, Act 144, Eff. Sept. 28, 1951;¾Am. 1961, Act 186, Eff. Sept. 8, 1961;¾Am. 1978, Act 427, Imd. Eff. Sept. 30,
1978;¾Am. 1980, Act 398, Eff. Mar. 31, 1981;¾Am. 1980, Act 476, Eff. Mar. 31, 1981;¾Am. 1981, Act 225, Imd. Eff. Jan. 6, 1982;
¾Am. 1987, Act 190, Eff. Apr. 15, 1988;¾Am. 1987, Act 238, Imd. Eff. Dec. 28, 1987;¾Am. 1990, Act 347, Imd. Eff. Dec. 26, 1990;
¾Am. 1996, Act 404, Eff. Dec. 21, 1996.

257.803s Historical military vehicle Michigan registration plate; fee; certification; registration certificate;
transferability; validity; revocation of registration.
Sec. 803s. (1) The owner of an historical military vehicle may use an historical military Michigan registration plate.
The plate shall be “Olive Drab” in color with White letters and a White Star with the words “Historic Military Vehicle – Michigan”.
(2) The owner of an historic military vehicle applying to use an historic military vehicle - Michigan registration plate under this
section shall pay a fee of $35.00, shall certify that the vehicle for which the registration is requested is owned
and operated solely as an historic military vehicle, and shall certify that the vehicle has been inspected and found safe
to operate on the highways of this state. The registration certificate need not specify the weight of the historic

military vehicle. The registration issued under this section is not transferable to another historic military vehicle.
(3) A registration issued under this section shall remain valid until the registrant either sells, transfers, or
scraps the vehicle or modifies the vehicle in a manner that requires the issuance of a new certificate of title for
the vehicle under this act.
(4) After a hearing and for cause shown, the secretary of state may revoke a registration issued under this
section for failure of the applicant to comply with this section, for use of the vehicle for which the registration
was issued for purposes other than those enumerated in section 20b, or because the vehicle is not safe to
operate on the highways of this state.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks