• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Calling on all Michigan Historic Military Vehicle Owners

Gohunter2

More great news and support, at this time we are in contact with The American Legion
They are reviewing all documents in order to support the amendments requested to the Michigan Vehicle Code Act 300 of 1949

Thanks LouWon!I'm going to send Senator Hopgood an e-mail in support of the amendment ,I have a Humvee and would love to see it on the road once in awhile. There's a beautiful gray one from Plant B or MME on theroad in the Grosse Ile area. Jealous

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you GoHunter2 for your support, we will need all the help we can get
I also enjoy driving mine around town, I'm in Taylor

See you around

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bump
Please contact your representative Senator for your district and make them aware of what's happening

Thank you

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bump
Please contact your representative Senator for your district and make them aware of what's happening

Thank you
Does the general public know about the challenges future HMV owners are experiencing? I see a lot of photos from Cities and Towns that benefit from the parades and displays so maybe the Mayors and event organizers should be aware of restrictive legislation. How else can we help you reach out for support?

Last year our local MVPA safely delivered the Commander of the Canadian Army through a Canada Day parade route, provided HMV's for command change at our local military base, displayed for the Lieutenant Governor, hauled cadets, Veterans and civilians in many parades. Private displays were held at museums, car shows and with our desire to convoy, HMV exposure "for the good of the greater public", was everywhere.

The benefits and opportunities far outweigh the risks so I hope you guys get the right eyes on this.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From what I know this is being worked on diligently / driven by members of MIMVCC & GLMVPA that do not all own Humvees, but do own a wide range of MV's. There is no intent or desire to infringe upon current rules & regs that we currently have to follow. If the Secretary of State office is able to cancel titles to previously legally on road titled Humvees, what is to stop them from doing the same to 5tons and on down to MB's & GPW's.
And have an option to have a cool MV only version license plate under the current Historic / Authentic plate rules.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From what I know this is being worked on diligently / driven by members of MIMVCC & GLMVPA that do not all own Humvees, but do own a wide range of MV's. There is no intent or desire to infringe upon current rules & regs that we currently have to follow. If the Secretary of State office is able to cancel titles to previously legally on road titled Humvees, what is to stop them from doing the same to 5tons and on down to MB's & GPW's.
And have an option to have a cool MV only version license plate under the current Historic / Authentic plate rules.
Thank you Bob

As of today, this is where we stand
From Senator Hopgood's Office
Thank you for providing me with the additional information. I have collected all of the emails that have been sent and will compare the information with what we receive from the Legislature Service Bureau (LSB) once they provide draft language. It also might be helpful to have a phone call set up at that time with you, myself, and our policy point person on this issue. But, I won’t be able to do that until I receive the language from LSB.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since this doesn't include accepting MIL-STD 1180B in place of FMVSS stickers what is going to stop the SOS from requiring a FMVSS sticker on all MV"s currently plated with regular or GVWR plates ?
This just happened in Virgina . There is nothing in this bill to prevent retaliation against ALL MV owner's with regular or GVWR plates by the SOS over the changes to get HMMWV's plated ?

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 300 of 1949

257.258 Registration or certificate of title; grounds for cancellation; elected gross weight violations; penalty; notice; hearing.
Sec. 258.
(1) The secretary of state may cancel, revoke, or suspend the registration of a vehicle, a certificate of title, registration certificate, or registration plate if any of the following apply:
(a) The secretary of state determines that the registration, certificate of title, or plate was fraudulently or erroneously issued.
(b) The secretary of state determines that the licensee has made or is making an unlawful use of his or her registration certificate, plate, or certificate of title.
(c) A registered vehicle has been dismantled or wrecked.
(d) The secretary of state determines that the required fee has not been paid and it is not paid upon reasonable notice or demand.
(e) A registration certificate or registration plate is knowingly displayed upon a vehicle other than the one for which it was issued.
(f) The secretary of state determines that the owner has committed an offense under this act involving the registration or certificate of title.
(g) The secretary of state is authorized to do so under this act.
(h) Upon receiving notification from another state or foreign country that a certificate of title issued by the secretary of state has been surrendered by the owner in conformity with the laws of that state or foreign country.
(i) It is shown by satisfactory evidence that delivery of a motor vehicle in the possession of a dealer was not made to the applicant registered under this act. The money paid for registration and license fees may be refunded to the party who applies for the refund.
(2) If the licensee's offense consists of hauling on the registered vehicle a gross weight more than 1,000 pounds in excess of the elected gross weight specified on the owners' registration certificate, the registration shall be canceled and the vehicle shall not again be operated on the highways, roads, or streets until it is registered again and new plates are issued. The new registration fee shall be computed on the basis of twice the difference between the original registration fee and the registration fee applicable to the gross weight constituting the violation of the elected gross weight. One-half of the new registration fee shall be a penalty. The period of the new registration fee shall not extend beyond the termination date of the canceled registration certificate. The new registration fee shall not exceed the maximum gross weight of the vehicle or combination of vehicles as determined by the number of axles and the legal weight applicable to those axles as specified by section 722. The gross weight of a vehicle or combination of vehicles may be determined by weighing the individual axles or group of axles, and the total weight on all axles is the gross vehicle weight.
(3) Before the secretary of state makes a cancellation under subsection (1)(a), (b), (e), (f), or (g), the person affected by the cancellation shall be given notice and an opportunity to be heard.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 300 of 1949

257.258 Registration or certificate of title; grounds for cancellation; elected gross weight violations; penalty; notice; hearing.
Sec. 258.
(1) The secretary of state may cancel, revoke, or suspend the registration of a vehicle, a certificate of title, registration certificate, or registration plate if any of the following apply:
(a) The secretary of state determines that the registration, certificate of title, or plate was fraudulently or erroneously issued.
(b) The secretary of state determines that the licensee has made or is making an unlawful use of his or her registration certificate, plate, or certificate of title.
(c) A registered vehicle has been dismantled or wrecked.
(d) The secretary of state determines that the required fee has not been paid and it is not paid upon reasonable notice or demand.
(e) A registration certificate or registration plate is knowingly displayed upon a vehicle other than the one for which it was issued.
(f) The secretary of state determines that the owner has committed an offense under this act involving the registration or certificate of title.
(g) The secretary of state is authorized to do so under this act.
(h) Upon receiving notification from another state or foreign country that a certificate of title issued by the secretary of state has been surrendered by the owner in conformity with the laws of that state or foreign country.
(i) It is shown by satisfactory evidence that delivery of a motor vehicle in the possession of a dealer was not made to the applicant registered under this act. The money paid for registration and license fees may be refunded to the party who applies for the refund.
(2) If the licensee's offense consists of hauling on the registered vehicle a gross weight more than 1,000 pounds in excess of the elected gross weight specified on the owners' registration certificate, the registration shall be canceled and the vehicle shall not again be operated on the highways, roads, or streets until it is registered again and new plates are issued. The new registration fee shall be computed on the basis of twice the difference between the original registration fee and the registration fee applicable to the gross weight constituting the violation of the elected gross weight. One-half of the new registration fee shall be a penalty. The period of the new registration fee shall not extend beyond the termination date of the canceled registration certificate. The new registration fee shall not exceed the maximum gross weight of the vehicle or combination of vehicles as determined by the number of axles and the legal weight applicable to those axles as specified by section 722. The gross weight of a vehicle or combination of vehicles may be determined by weighing the individual axles or group of axles, and the total weight on all axles is the gross vehicle weight.
(3) Before the secretary of state makes a cancellation under subsection (1)(a), (b), (e), (f), or (g), the person affected by the cancellation shall be given notice and an opportunity to be heard.
No where in that does that address the FMVSS . And just because they send a notice doesn't mean they can't do it .
Isn't that how the previously registered HMMWVS got their plates pulled ?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe part of the reason states a fighting registering HMMWV's is the recent study on rollover that was released in 2017
[ Earlier this year (2017), the National Guard issued a safety alert related to rollover mishaps and loss-of-control] This funding was brought to Michigan in the NDAA by
Michigans U.S. Senator Gary Peters.

There was funding include in the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) that was signed into law on dec 12,2017
to research and upgrade HMMWV's to reduce risk of rollovers and loss of control.

http://www.boynegazette.com/2017/de...tary-businesses-personnel/uncategorized/81123

Mitigating Risk of Humvee Rollover Accidents: Earlier this year, the National Guard issued a safety alert related to rollover mishaps and loss-of-control. The NDAA includes a provision encouraging the U.S. Army to mitigate the risk of Humvee rollover accidents and requesting a briefing on plans to mitigate rollovers. Peters has previously written to the Acting Secretary of the Army about his concerns related to Humvee safety. Additionally, the Michigan National Guard has undertaken a pilot program for commercial off-the-shelf technology aimed at mitigating Humvee rollovers using technology manufactured in Michigan.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This was never about just the Humvee , but about all military vehicles, stop being so bias.
We are all in this, this is for all military vehicles
If you don't like Humvee's fine, but don't stop there, go after the Hummer H1, they share the frame and components, basically the same vehicle on the road
If you are going to pull a stunt like this , then at least you should have the mind to be partial enough to include reports about all of the military vehicles that are on the road today
Like the old jeeps or deuce, where are those reports.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This was never about just the Humvee , but about all military vehicles, stop being so bias.
We are all in this, this is for all military vehicles
If you don't like Humvee's fine, but don't stop there, go after the Hummer H1, they share the frame and components, basically the same vehicle on the road
If you are going to pull a stunt like this , then at least you should have the mind to be partial enough to include reports about all of the military vehicles that are on the road today
Like the old jeeps or deuce, where are those reports.
Just putting facts that are widely available including to the SOS . You need to show all aspects of the issue .
These are things the transportation committee will have so they should be posted here as well . Don't think the SOS isn't going to fight this . This study could be part of of the cause of the the problems in all the states that are having problems , ignoring it because you don't like it won't help you.

Edit ; I have not found any studies on jeeps or deuces however M151 were demilled and not sold to the public due to rollovers and the M 939 series had anti-lock brakes added. because of them .

Last edited:

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just putting facts that are widely available including to the SOS . You need to show all aspects of the issue .
These are things the transportation committee will have so they should be posted here as well . Don't think the SOS isn't going to fight this . This study could be part of of the cause of the the problems in all the states that are having problems , ignoring it because you don't like it won't help you.
I’m not ignoring the facts but we are fighting for all military vehicles, we have to be together on this , otherwise as other state have shown, we could be in trouble

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe the study of roll over incidents is related to up-armored gun turret humvees, and Michigan's issue is from the DOD notice regarding the 2015 release of M998's with ORV designations on the SF97
humv.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks