• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Calling on all Michigan Historic Military Vehicle Owners

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not see where having the OPTION to register as historic has any effect on regular registrations.
The bill from a few years back that allowed for the plate not to be displayed on any MV that was kept to look as it was in the military did not adversely affect registering them with regular or commercial plates. I'll be seeing Chuck in a week or so & will review this proposal again. I have MV's registered both historic and commercial myself, & will likely never own a Humvee.
I also don't see a need to create a new MV plate , with the law to not display a plate already there . It cost about $180,000 to create a specialty plate in michigan , the state will never recover the costs to create the plate with the few that will be sold , let alone any money from plates going to maintain the roads . This will actually take money away from road repairs to cover the costs to create the plate. Maybe the MVPA and MVCC would donate this cost to the state , since they will never sell enough plate to pay for it.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/po...put-limits-specialty-license-plates/84296018/

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also don't see a need to create a new MV plate , with the law to not display a plate already there . It cost about $180,000 to create a specialty plate in michigan , the state will never recover the costs to create the plate with the few that will be sold , let alone any money from plates going to maintain the roads . This will actually take money away from road repairs to cover the costs to create the plate. Maybe the MVPA and MVCC would donate this cost to the state , since they will never sell enough plate to pay for it.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/po...put-limits-specialty-license-plates/84296018/
Still nice to see that specialty plates can make a profit "The plates brought in $1.1 million in revenue to the state last year and $18.5 million since specialty plates were first issued in 2001"
Now if we only get more military vehicles on the road...

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still nice to see that specialty plates can make a profit "The plates brought in $1.1 million in revenue to the state last year and $18.5 million since specialty plates were first issued in 2001"
Now if we only get more military vehicles on the road...
I bet they won't sell more than a 1000 historic MV plates. And rhe MV plates are not fund raising plates ,but cost the same to develop. That money was brought in by extra fees on top of the regular registration fees . The $30 lifetime fee this bill proposes will never come close to covering the plate let alone provide any road funding. And I do believe a 23,000 pound 5 ton does more damage to the roads than a 2500 pound Model A Ford.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometimes it's not always about the money
Did you know that the SOS has 35 specialty plates honoring our veterans, how cool is that, at this point, they might as well have one for the vehicles.

http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-1585_1595_1598---,00.html
Sure if you want to pay the cost , raise the plate fees up to a annual renewal and personalizes plate fees that's fine . But to expect the rest of the state to pay so a very very small portion of michigan residents will benefit , so you can have a "cool plate" . I would say 99% of the taxpayers don't want their taxes wasted like that.

Lazboytt

Sure if you want to pay the cost , raise the plate fees up to a annual renewal and personalizes plate fees that's fine . But to expect the rest of the state to pay so a very very small portion of michigan residents will benefit , so you can have a "cool plate" . I would say 99% of the taxpayers don't want their taxes wasted like that.
Everything starts somewhere. I wonder at the start of the historic plates that are in existence what people said, possibly the same thing. The plates will be around for many years to come after we all pass and I’m sure the numbers will increase. The world is not coming to an end any time soon that I know about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everything starts somewhere. I wonder at the start of the historic plates that are in existence what people said, possibly the same thing. The plates will be around for many years to come after we all pass and I’m sure the numbers will increase. The world is not coming to an end any time soon that I know about.

And you throw a bunch of wastefull spending in this I doubt it will pass anytime soon.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty sure Mich is like every other state that the persons buying the plate are charged an additional fee for that privilege and pay the actual cost plus willingly. Also most states make money off personalized or vanity plates and that is why among many other reasons they do it. Some non profits also get a donation from certain vanity plates like the BSA that is built into the cost.

Pretty sure the 1% is subsidizing the 99% and not the other way. Please fact check before posting erroneous information.

Proud owner of Louisiana "Save the Black Bear" & " Save the Forests" vanity plates.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty sure Mich is like every other state that the persons buying the plate are charged an additional fee for that privilege and pay the actual cost plus willingly. Also most states make money off personalized or vanity plates and that is why among many other reasons they do it. Some non profits also get a donation from certain vanity plates like the BSA that is built into the cost.

Pretty sure the 1% is subsidizing the 99% and not the other way. Please fact check before posting erroneous information.

Proud owner of Louisiana "Save the Black Bear" & " Save the Forests" vanity plates.
This isn't a "vanity plate" it is a new version of the historic plate we already have , but will only sell a 1000 or so since we already have a law that says we don't have to display a plate. There will be no extra fees to pay for the just a 1 time fee of $35 so it will take 6000 plates just to cover the cost to develop it , then production costs.

2) The owner of an historic military vehicle applying to use an historic military vehicle - Michigan registration plate under this
section shall pay a fee of $35.00, shall certify that the vehicle for which the registration is requested is owned
and operated solely as an historic military vehicle, and shall certify that the vehicle has been inspected and found safe
to operate on the highways of this state. The registration certificate need not specify the weight of the historic
military vehicle. The registration issued under this section is not transferable to another historic military vehicle.
(3) A registration issued under this section shall remain valid until the registrant either sells, transfers, or
scraps the vehicle or modifies the vehicle in a manner that requires the issuance of a new certificate of title for
the vehicle under this act.

juanpardo,
your also paying $40.50 a year the 1st year and $32.50 each renewal after that. on top of the regular registration fee , not $35 for as long as you own it. So it really doesn't compare to this.
From louisiana omv;
FEES
  • $26.00 fee, in addition to regular registration fees, due at initial issuance and all subsequent renewals.
  • $8.00 handling fee due on all transactions except renewal.
  • $3.50 administrative handling fee due only on initial issuances.
  • $3.00 fee to transfer the plate to another vehicle in the applicant's name.

Last edited:

dunedigger

I just want to re-post what happened to me. I called the SOS to clear up the confusion I had when I wanted to buy a hmmwv. I wanted to know if I purchased an M998 that was already issued an on road title out of state if I could transfer the title to Michigan. The truck I was looking at being from Indiana. I was told yes, no problem. I bought that hummwv, took my title to the SOS and has no issue getting a plate registration and app for my title. I drove around on the road for 2 months with the Michigan plate when the notice came in the mail it was issued in error and revoked. Also stated they would refund my money (which they never did). The next day my off road only title showed up in the mail. That was one of the biggest kicks in the gut I have ever had. Thank you Michigan. I would have settled for any plate allowing me to keep it. The city requires all vehicles on my property to be plated.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just want to re-post what happened to me. I called the SOS to clear up the confusion I had when I wanted to buy a hmmwv. I wanted to know if I purchased an M998 that was already issued an on road title out of state if I could transfer the title to Michigan. The truck I was looking at being from Indiana. I was told yes, no problem. I bought that hummwv, took my title to the SOS and has no issue getting a plate registration and app for my title. I drove around on the road for 2 months with the Michigan plate when the notice came in the mail it was issued in error and revoked. Also stated they would refund my money (which they never did). The next day my off road only title showed up in the mail. That was one of the biggest kicks in the gut I have ever had. Thank you Michigan. I would have settled for any plate allowing me to keep it. The city requires all vehicles on my property to be plated.
When did this happen, do you have a date ?
Also if you are here, you know whats going on, we have an amendment in to resolve this issue, not only for the Humvee but for all ex MV's.
Hopefully we can count on your support

dunedigger

No letter, I was told I can not appeal it. I asked what law I was in violation of and I quote from the main Lansing sos office, "I don't need to know the law, I just need to know there is a law.". She made it abundantly clear there would be no discussion about it.

Lazboytt

No letter, I was told I can not appeal it. I asked what law I was in violation of and I quote from the main Lansing sos office, "I don't need to know the law, I just need to know there is a law.". She made it abundantly clear there would be no discussion about it.
I sent you a private message as long as you did have clear title in the mail there is a law they have to give you an appeals hearing

Al Capone

Looks like it has started in your state also . The we hate Humvee act. From the sounds of that reply there is no law just do what we say bull. Just like Louisiana . We have no law or statue just someone up high in omv commission making up these rules they feel fit . That’s how it started here . They quietly try to start revoking all military titles

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It sounds like someone screwed up titling it in the first place or they back tracked the title history and found it was titled with a branded SF-97 in Indiana . Nichigan made clear in 2016 not to register or title HMWWV's.

Attachments

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For those affected , I would also say like other members have mentioned , get a lawyer.
Obviously you where entitled to hearing form the DMV that you never received

I would also ask , why the Humvee only, if your going to recall the Humvee, then whats stopping them to recall them all, everything on the road that used to be military, since at one point all of the ex-military vehicles where questioned like the Humvee
The Humvee is the vehicle of choice of the new generation of MV owners, just like the jeeps or Kaiser or deuce where from the generation before.
If they want to band the Humvee are they also going after the Hummer H1, apart from the body, it's the same vehicle built by the same company, same specs, brakes, engine, trans, etc.
I would also ask something about the title, if you get a clear title from another state, it should be allowed in any state
Just look at the flood or salvage titles coming in from all over.
I think of the states who declared these cars as scrap/flood and they come back with a clear title, how is that different than getting a clear title for a Humvee from another state.
The flood units title like the scrapped titles go from state to state and without raising any questions, so if an Humvee title went from one state to the other, then it should be a clear on road title, just like the flood or scrapped titles

Again, from people who use their MV's for work to the parade queens, we need to band together and stop the madness before it's too late

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks