• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Louisiana - State Asking for NHTSA sticker for deuce titled and registered in 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyingvan911

Since the DOD still considers our vehicles as a potential military asset if they need them, what about a federal law that would allow them to be registered and insured? I know World War 3 (.1427) isn't likely but a fleet of well maintained and operating vehicles could be handy to have around.

frodobaggins

OK update. Just got off the phone with "Dianne". I am waiting on a callback from Tabitha.
Dianne asked me what the issue was and I told her. She told me that without the sticker
I would have to register it as off road. I told her she didn't understand, that ALL Military
vehicles do not come with a sticker. That this would affect all of the vehicles in the state.
She told me she DID understand, and that no sticker, no reg. She is supposed to have Tabitha
call me back.

Not looking good so far.
WTH

JayLeto

I received a letter as well. I have left a message for Tabitha just now, and hoping for good news. Please let me know what happens on your end.

Thanks

frodobaggins

I have written 3 letters, one to the DMV, and to my representative and senator. I am holding off on sending those as I will need to revise after some good info in this and other threads as well as waiting on a callback from Tabitha.

Frodo

(Fair Warning: If this turns out to be a big deal, I don't currently have the time or resources to fight this. But I will lend my voice and whatever resources I can spare.)

Crazyguyla

I know most of the streets in New Orleans and most state hwys qualify as "off road" because they worse than a washed out, washboard filled dirt road. I'm sorta glad I'm getting my Duece outta LA. Anything over 25 years old can be registered as an antique vehicle and be safe?

profo

OK update. Just got off the phone with "Dianne". I am waiting on a callback from Tabitha.
Dianne asked me what the issue was and I told her. She told me that without the sticker
I would have to register it as off road. I told her she didn't understand, that ALL Military
vehicles do not come with a sticker. That this would affect all of the vehicles in the state.
She told me she DID understand, and that no sticker, no reg. She is supposed to have Tabitha
call me back.

Not looking good so far.
WTH
Your vehicle does not have a NHTSA label because the NHTSA did not exist before 1970. That should help
Also ,
Here's the email may help!

Tabitha.Ducote@la.gov

Last edited:

frodobaggins

Email Exchange

Email Exchange:

Email to Tabitha said:
Hello Tabitha,

My name is Kevin #########. I received the attached letter from the OMV requesting proof of an NHTSA sticker for my 1971 AMG M35A2.
NO military vehicles AT ALL come with and NHTSA (FMVSS) sticker, so obviously I cannot comply with this request.
Requiring that military vehicles registered in the state comply with this would take every one of them off the road.

In addition, MIL-STD-1180B standards are equivalent to FMVSS for my class of vehicles.

Since the legislature of Louisiana adopted specific laws to honor and register these vehicles, it is obviously not the state's intent
to take them off of the road.

So basically what I am asking, is what I can do to resolve this, and are you able to assist me?

Thank you very much for your time,
Kevin

Tabitha's Response said:
My manager Evelyn ###### will be calling you at some point today.

Our administration has sent letters to all Louisiana residents that have these type vehicles registered.
The last few years we have been getting SF97, affidavits, and bill of sales stamped “OFF ROAD USE ONLY”.
I don’t know if you are aware but other states are registering these off road or off highway as well.
Louisiana is trying to determine them to be road worthy or not and NHTSA stickers state they meet all safety requirements.
I’m aware that they do not have NHTSA stickers but we have to follow what our administration is asking. I’m assuming they
will be making a decision soon as to why they are requesting the stickers.

I just wanted to let you know you wasn’t singled out. Everybody that has these type vehicles in Louisiana got these letters.

Email to Tabitha said:
Thank you, I am aware of people trying to register vehicles with the "OFF ROAD USE ONLY" stamped on their SF-97s.
We by and large in my community try to discourage people from trying to go around the system. I don't disagree with their
wanting to use their vehicles, but believe they should try to solve their problem legislatively instead of trying to game the system.
My vehicle and my class of vehicles, do not have their SF-97s stamped off road only, and were sold intended to be used on road.
The only category I know of that do currently is HMMWV (Humvees), the US government recently decided to sell these, and decided
they were to be sold as off-road vehicles.

But anyway, thank you for your time, and if you wouldn't mind forwarding this email as well.
Thank you
Kevin

Tabitha's Response said:
The issues we are having are people using other states for titling that don’t require the SF-97 so they are not aware of the
“Off Road-Use only” and then getting a registration in that state even though they are residents of Louisiana. They then try to
title the vehicle in Louisiana using that out of state registration. From what I understand there is a senator involved and that
is why these letters were asked to be sent out. I’m assuming they are trying to make some kind of determination on these vehicles
and if laws and policies need to be revised. I’m not sure what their thinking is, we were just told to mail these letters out.
Sorry I couldn’t be much help.

Email to Tabitha said:
That is actually very helpful. I do have a copy of my original SF-97, so I Imagine that might be useful in the future.
I would like to know the senator's name if possible.

Thanks again
Kevin

Tabitha's Response said:
I’m not sure who the senator is. This is coming down from administration. They did have us pull all imaging of the documents used
to title all these type vehicles so they have that information.

When my manager calls you ask her if she knows if a senator or legislature is involved and if she knows their name.

Well looky there. Hmmmm

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So we learned several things here -

1) This action is certainly prompted by people registering hmmwv's.

2) The state of LA can't differentiate a 6x6 2 1/2 ton truck from a 4x4 hmmwv.

3) The senator in question prefers to remain anonymous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks