• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Louisiana - State Asking for NHTSA sticker for deuce titled and registered in 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayLeto

I hope someone can find out the senator requesting this. I’d love to send him pictures of my truck loaded with flood victims from the Tx floods. We went places the National Gaurd refused. We had water in the cab for 2-days. We worked with local fire dept’s, and pulled over 150ppl from flood waters. Some of which were hypothermic, with head lacerations. Which I rushed to the hospital myself in the 5-ton. I drove my truck on my dime to Texas, and never asked or expected a thing in return. Now it looks like I may not even be able to drive it on the road!

Jay

frodobaggins

So we learned several things here -

1) This action is certainly prompted by people registering hmmwv's.

2) The state of LA can't differentiate a 6x6 2 1/2 ton truck from a 4x4 hmmwv.

3) The senator in question prefers to remain anonymous.

We also learned:

4) While they 'decide' what to do, they send letters to everyone with a registered MV in the state, a letter stating that they WILL have to register it as off-road unless
they can provide proof of a sticker, while knowing full well it cannot be provided.

frodobaggins

I hope someone can find out the senator requesting this. I’d love to send him pictures of my truck loaded with flood victims from the Tx floods. We went places the National Gaurd refused. We had water in the cab for 2-days. We worked with local fire dept’s, and pulled over 150ppl from flood waters. Some of which were hypothermic, with head lacerations. Which I rushed to the hospital myself in the 5-ton. I drove my truck on my dime to Texas, and never asked or expected a thing in return. Now it looks like I may not even be able to drive it on the road!
How does a senator remain anonymous? There are usually paper trails for people who file bills or cosponsor or voice support.

I'm going to at this point in time, reserved judgment on the Senator, as we do not know his motivations or level of involvement.
It could be as simple as the OMV getting overzealous in their actions, or it could also be a big mess from the political side.

At this point, I don't know, but I am headed down the rabbit hole...

Frodo

frodobaggins

This whole debacle is the result of people trying to get around the system, instead o

Ok update:

I spoke with "Evelyn" about the issue at length for about 30 minutes. We discussed all of the issues of the ramifications of
this. She said that they sent a letter to all MV owners, and that they knew it affected all of them. Yet later in the call
it was revealed it was actually about 80 of them, that fit certain criteria (CURRENTLY)(In the first round of their audit).
She stated that ALL vehicles sold from GL, GovPlanet etc were sold as "OFF ROAD ONLY" and it took me about 10 times to finally
convince her that that was absolutely not true, that only the Humvees were. (I'm still not sure that she is convinced) I finally
convinced HER that my vehicle was an ON ROAD vehicle and was sold as such. She pulled MY file and sent it up the chain with notes.

She also went through all the issues with people trying to game the system to register Humvees.

I also pointed out that my vehicle was over 25 years old, and about the MIL standards being equivalent to FMVSS.
She stated that the department knew that no MV could pass this test, and they were expecting and wanting people
to sue to clarify the issue.

I asked about any legislators, and she said she had heard that rumor, but did not know if there was any validity to it
and I believed her.

In the end, Evelyn mostly agreed with me, but the best she could do was document our conversation and send
it up the chain.

This whole debacle is the result of people trying to get around the system, instead of changing the system.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lionel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
She stated that ALL vehicles sold from GL, GovPlanet etc were sold as "OFF ROAD ONLY" and it took me about 10 times to finally
convince her that that was absolutely not true, that only the Humvees were. (I'm still not sure that she is convinced) I finally
convinced HER that my vehicle was an ON ROAD vehicle and was sold as such. She pulled MY file and sent it up the chain with notes.

She also went through all the issues with people trying to game the system to register Humvees.

Not that it matters, I just want to point out that the Marine Corps GP HMMWV's are sold without the ORUO restriction, which is why I only buy the former Marine Corps Humvees. There is no "Off Road Use Only" stamp on the SF97, its just the standard, unrestricted form.

Soupermike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was there any mention if the state is going to suspend issuing Titles/Registrations? I am hoping to pick up my 90 M923A2 here pretty soon.

Jeepsinker

For what it's worth, I have my truck titled as a 1969 Kaiser Jeep pickup, with medium duty truck plates, and I haven't gotten any letter. No special military registration for me, so I doubt I'll have any issues.

undysworld

I also pointed out that my vehicle was over 25 years old, and about the MIL standards being equivalent to FMVSS.
She stated that the department knew that no MV could pass this test, and they were expecting and wanting people
to sue to clarify the issue.
Did you refer her to the Wisconsin Appeal Court decision? That has already been decided once.

undysworld

Not that it matters, I just want to point out that the Marine Corps GP HMMWV's are sold without the ORUO restriction, which is why I only buy the former Marine Corps Humvees. There is no "Off Road Use Only" stamp on the SF97, its just the standard, unrestricted form.
No, it TOTALLY matters. Some Marine Humvees WERE originally surplussed with clear unrestricted SF-97's. But the fact that many others were later sold as ORUO (Off Road Use Only) does not make them all ORUO. That's why it's imperative that a clear unrestricted title be accepted as eligible for registration.

frodobaggins

I informed them of the Wisconsin decision as well as the skinny on the marine humvees sold years ago. I don't have any money to fight a court battle but I argue real good. Ask my wife. I'm always in trouble lol.

frodobaggins

For what it's worth, I have my truck titled as a 1969 Kaiser Jeep pickup, with medium duty truck plates, and I haven't gotten any letter. No special military registration for me, so I doubt I'll have any issues.
If you registered it with an SF -97 you probably are.

Lionel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I informed them of the Wisconsin decision as well as the skinny on the marine humvees sold years ago. I don't have any money to fight a court battle but I argue real good. Ask my wife. I'm always in trouble lol.
It's not just the humvees from the original sale. The Marine Corps humvees currently offered on the GP site have no ORUO restrictions.

frodobaggins

It's not just the humvees from the original sale. The Marine Corps humvees currently offered on the GP site have no ORUO restrictions.
Well that's interesting. However it doesn't really matter at this point, as I'm talking with an underling and this problem comes from the top.
This whole mess is not going to be solved by arguing with them over the phone. We are likely in for a fight in court, or need to find friendly legislators.

About all I can do is talk on the phone and write letters. And I don't have any connections.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, it TOTALLY matters. Some Marine Humvees WERE originally surplussed with clear unrestricted SF-97's. But the fact that many others were later sold as ORUO (Off Road Use Only) does not make them all ORUO. That's why it's imperative that a clear unrestricted title be accepted as eligible for registration.
The problem for folks that have legitimate "on-road" paperwork for HMMWVs is that so many people have now knowingly gone to the effort to fraudulently eliminate the ORUO on their titles, the DMVs cannot determine which ones did or did not have the restriction in the first place. So, they are electing to throw out a big net and grab them all, not just HMMWVs.

Last edited:

frodobaggins

Was there any mention if the state is going to suspend issuing Titles/Registrations? I am hoping to pick up my 90 M923A2 here pretty soon.
Currently, per my conversations, they seem to be under the impression that ALL things sold from the Gov are off-road use only :roll:. So unless you slip through the cracks or this is resolved
beforehand, I imagine you are going to have problems.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's correct. I registered an M923A2 today at Special Plates and title will be off-road. They said the issue is liability if someone gets hurt and state allowed non-complient vehicle on road.

Last edited:

frodobaggins

OK now who here has the money & time to sue or has some connections?
I imagine some kind of legal fund could be arranged.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks