• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Headlights

jwgriffin

I could use some help, my fire department runs AM General 5 ton and 2.5 ton trucks. We are having issues with one of our trucks lights shutting down, we have changed the switch and the dimmer switch thought it was fixed but it has once again proved us wrong. I have not done much searching on it but it is a 1985 were these ran on a relay system? Has anyone had any issues or dealing with this type of issue? Thank you in advance.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do the lights come on in time after a shutdown? Is there a thermal breaker in the circuit? Is there a loose ground? Have you checked for short circuits in the wiring harness where it might be chaffing to ground?

These are things I'd check first considering its happening in one of four trucks which I would assume are the same?

dmetalmiki

As previously mentioned. It is helpful to give comprehensive details of a problem. Even better when the full model number and year is given, as is a full description of the symptom. the symptom duration. and is the symptom a re occurring one?.
Just guessing from the brief details you gave 'suggests', that the by-metal relay in the thermal cut out is operating properly, (preventing a fire in the process!) as you have a dead short somewhere in the lighting circuit.
A frayed or worn through electrical harness could cause that, An earthed (grounded) 'live wire' Also. A host of things are 'probable'. You have to start and work through possible causes methodically, (disconnect individual items? ). Consider The actual operating switch being corroded inside and shorting out. Go to it! Report back when you find the fault and complete the fix.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks