• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working on the FV1801A or Truck, 1/4 Ton, 4×4, CT, Austin Mk.1 AKA Austin Champ

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well once again I'm starting a thread on working on a new vehicle. Here's a list of prior threads in case you're interested in my personal brand of madness:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthr...ing-on-the-MKT

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthr...ing-on-the-M37

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthr...-On-The-M923A2

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthr...M561-Gama-Goat

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?152882-Working-on-the-M1078-LMTV

This is a bit unusual for me as I've only had American made items before (even though the M37 was once Israeli and painted as such) and if I thought finding parts for the Gama Goat was tough I'm thinking that was a walk in the park compared to sourcing (and shipping) things for this. I don't actually have it in the shop yet but got the chance to snap a couple of pics today then I'll be picking it up on Monday.

Since I know everyone gets excited about pics I'll throw a couple out there.

IMG_2237.jpgIMG_2236.jpg

It's a little rough around the edges but the price was right. Oh, and he threw this one in too :)

IMG_2235.jpgIMG_2234.jpg

Alright, you got me. The second set of pics is the runner and the 1st set is the parts truck. I say "runner" as in it ran when parked a couple of years ago but has been stored inside since then. The only thing that isn't original (as far as I can tell) is they swapped the mechanical fuel pump for an electric one. I'd say that's an easy enough fix and there's a parts outfit in England that has new replacements but I'll probably be scared to death at the price of shipping.

Here's the Wiki link, in case like me, you'd never seen one before this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_Champ

I'll get some more pics once I get it home on Monday.

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've ridden in them before, but never on this side of the Atlantic.
I only know of one other nearby in Texas (under restoration), and of one sighted at Mullins' show a few years back.

I think you are the only one in the club to have Rolls Royce power. :jumpin:

I have one of these (picture) left over from my childhood. Glad I kept those Dinkys through the years. :)

Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got both of the trucks home today. The "runner" was coated with a layer of oily dust. A quick shot with the pressure washer got it off the metal parts but I'm afraid it might have stained the canvas top. First impressions is that it's generally all there including about 1/2 of the pioneer tools. A couple of issues right off the top is that they swapped out the generator for an alternator. While it's got 2 batteries under the passenger seat I tend to doubt they replaced it with a 24v alternator so need to dig into that a bit before trying to start it. Lots of little metal tears in a lot of corners that'll need to be welded up. But the biggest concern now is figuring out what levers work what and how the starting sequence goes.

IMG_2261.jpgIMG_2260.jpgIMG_2245.jpgIMG_2257.jpgIMG_2259.jpgIMG_2258.jpg

The "parts truck" is really just that - parts. Lots of missing stuff, goobered up stuff, rotted stuff, and ridiculous stuff. Dig the pig hood ornament for example.

IMG_2263.jpgIMG_2264.jpgIMG_2262.jpg

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was researching the VIN on the "driver" and came across some interesting information. The Austin Champ Owners Club has a registry of vehicles and this one was recorded as belonging to Steve Hubbard of Yakima, WA. While I don't know Steve it just happens, like this Champ, that I moved to TX from Yakima, WA. Steve also posted on the site that this vehicle was in the 1995 movie Congo (which I can't remember seeing but will definitely have to now). If anyone in WA knows Steve I'd certainly like to make contact with him to get some more history on this truck. In the meantime I need to start researching the parts vehicle VIN. Maybe Jimmy Hoffa owned it at one time.

Turns out there are 4 or 5 Champs in Congo but only the one I have was driven while all the others were static displays including one painted up as a UN vehicle. It also turns out that mine was never tan (so couldn't be faded tan now) as the owner at that time stated it was the original Deep Bronze Green when he owned it.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the parts truck was not registered with the Champ Owner's Club so I supplied them with the VIN/Eng#s so they can add it. Also gave them my info so they can update the "driver" with new owner location.

I've been looking over the parts truck to see if there's anything I can use before "paying it forward." I swapped the dipsticks as they have Bakelite tops and the one on my truck had a chunk missing from it. I'll be swapping the hood prop rod and pulling the generator. The side inspection plates have been removed from the engine, the valve cover is loose, and there's a piston sitting on the passenger floorboard so I'm thinking it shouldn't be a real issue missing the generator.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well if you ever wondered how car salesmen got there reputation here’s a prime example. On further inspection of the “runner’s” block it’s obviously cracked.

541E9DD1-CC9D-402D-947D-DE60131E58B2.jpg

m715mike

Really, you don’t think that will buff out?

Ouch... I’m sorry someone would sell that to you without disclosing it. I hope the non-runner has a good block.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Really, you don’t think that will buff out?
Ouch... I’m sorry someone would sell that to you without disclosing it. I hope the non-runner has a good block.
A little paint would probably hide it pretty good. I had already promised the parts truck to someone else so hate to take that back. Plus the wife didn't want me putting any money into this so getting an engine rebuilt would really screw that up.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do you think you'll do about the crack if you are not going to rebuild it? JB weld? I have never used it, but I have heard that JB weld will seal it up and it lasts. Maybe others on the list have more experience with it, or other ideas.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do you think you'll do about the crack if you are not going to rebuild it? JB weld? I have never used it, but I have heard that JB weld will seal it up and it lasts. Maybe others on the list have more experience with it, or other ideas.
I'm still going to try and start it. I need to drain the old fuel out of the tank but thinking of giving it a spin off a gas can once the batteries are charged. I'm already looking for a rebuild kit but that's going to have to come from England if one's available.

If it starts I might just go the JB route and drive it until it completely blows and worry about it then. My concern right now is if there's a bigger underlying issue. What caused the crack? Overheat issue? If so, what else down the line is damaged?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Typical freeze crack in the usual spot. May be more cracks as well. JB weld can patch it, but in all reality, the block is ruined.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Typical freeze crack in the usual spot.
Pretty much what I thought just concerned if it wasn't actually that. Yakima gets ****ed hot in the summer and ****ed cold in the winter. That’s why I hated going there from Ft Lewis. It was basically a mini NTC.

Last edited:

big block 88

Im not sure what those english boys put in their tea.... but man they hands down make the ugliest looking vehicles bar none.

but this monstrosity is so ugly its cool.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im not sure what those english boys put in their tea.... but man they hands down make the ugliest looking vehicles bar none.

but this monstrosity is so ugly its cool.
It appears that many of the Austin owners on here are either current or former Gama Goat owners as well. It's something about being an oddball or so danged ugly they're cute (that's the only way I found a wife).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks