• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

boom will not latch

mogger7

need help guys a buddy just had his 419 delivered this morning of course we had to pluck out a few stumps first thing and when we swung the boom back up to put the lock over the pin we can't get the boom back that last inch to let the lock to slip over the pin any ideas thanks
mogger7

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In school we were taught to run the boom up to the point just before it stops. Then push the lever in the other direction fully and quick. It'll always pop right in! That was from the school instructors. Never looked into why it does what it does, I just know it worked perfectly!uh

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
from the other posts ............ Unsure about "419"

TM 5-2420-224-10 page 2-98

Use swing control pedals (7 and 8) and center backhoe. Pull boom control lever (4) until boom begins to stop. Push boom control lever forward until boom is over center and boom lock latch is engaged.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
from the other posts ............ Unsure about "419"

TM 5-2420-224-10 page 2-98

Use swing control pedals (7 and 8) and center backhoe. Pull boom control lever (4) until boom begins to stop. Push boom control lever forward until boom is over center and boom lock latch is engaged.
Same as all Case backhoes with a boom lock.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Swing it full to the side. Pull the lever to pull the main boom to pull it up. Hold the handle back. Then use your bracing/leveling/landing leg and pull back on that control it will push it up over the lock pin.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

911joeblow

I will add that having the stabilizer legs down all the way so the rear is lifted all the way up and the front loader off the ground too so the nose is dipped helps if your boom is a little weak. Worst case go park nose down on a small hill.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will add that having the stabilizer legs down all the way so the rear is lifted all the way up and the front loader off the ground too so the nose is dipped helps if your boom is a little weak. Worst case go park nose down on a small hill.
That's the correct way , whether tractor mounted or truck mounted ,stabilizers are the 1st thing down and the last thing up and front bucket on the ground it will lock as designed.

peakbagger

I have mixed success, some days it will drop right in, others it will not. If its on a slope with the rear lower than the front it will not go in unless I use the trick of rotating the hoe and using the stabilizer to nudge it in place.

911joeblow

Except in this case the bucket off the ground to aid in the over-center function. For actual work the bucket should be on the ground to stabilize.

That's the correct way , whether tractor mounted or truck mounted ,stabilizers are the 1st thing down and the last thing up and front bucket on the ground it will lock as designed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks