• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power steering fluid.

suzukovich

Kinda weird. Fluid was low this morning fan stayed engaged.
Add fluid fan disengages.

Driving to to DMV with my daughter for her Lerners Permit. Fan kicks in at 220 run for a few and disengages.

Lv DMV fan clutch engaged. Steering is fine.

Now thinking it the Cadillac valve. Just was wondering about heavy duty power Steering fluid since you can get straight Dex 2 any more. Unless you have any ideas. I know it won't hurt anything if fan clutch is engage other then your ears.

Sent from my SM-J727U using Tapatalk

suzukovich

The TM states DEXRON II or DEXRON III. Unless you have a 4l80e, then no DEXRON II.
I know what the TM says. I 've pulled maintenance on HUMVEEs for 20 plus years. Just was a question. No you saw what I dealing with any suggestions?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I know what the TM says. I 've pulled maintenance on HUMVEEs for 20 plus years. Just was a question. No you saw what I dealing with any suggestions?

You can try it. Dex II and III has friction modifiers in it to keep crap from gunking up in the system. About the only difference.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My recommendation is to stick with dexron as the hmmwv system is more complex than most others with the fan clutch, hydroboost, & power steering & winch (if equipped) sharing the same fluid. I don't think fluid caused your issue. Dexron III is backwards compatible with II and easy to find anywhere. Designed and spec for dexron, so stick with it.

GM does state that Dexron VI is also backwards compatible to II or III but more expensive and I doubt this system will get any benefit. The new engineering with the additive package is more based for transmission workings.
http://www.acdelco.com/auto-parts/vehicle-maintenance/lubricants/transmission-fluid-dexron-vi.html

The viscosity of power steering fluid and dexron is close to 10W. The real difference is in the additive packages. Power steering oil typically has anti foaming and wear additives and transmission fluid additives are for the valves and clutches plus longevity of the fluid from getting burnt. Not an issue on a hmmwv hydraulic system.

Just my .02 from selling parts long ago....

suzukovich

Thanks for the responses, stay with Dex2/3. Issue is with the Cadillac valve. Order a new one along with a new power steering oil cooler as believe both are the problems. Funny part right after I ordered them, the issue cleared up and went away. Friggen gremlins.

papakb

You did say that the fan stayed engaged when the fluid was low which is correct. The failure mode in the system is always engaged so the cooling system works if there's a problem. It's a noisey power sucker but it keeps the engine cool. The fluid causes the clutch to disengage when you trip the fording switch by momentarily flooring the accelerator pedal or when the engine temp reaches ~220 degrees.

suzukovich

You did say that the fan stayed engaged when the fluid was low which is correct. The failure mode in the system is always engaged so the cooling system works if there's a problem. It's a noisey power sucker but it keeps the engine cool. The fluid causes the clutch to disengage when you trip the fording switch by momentarily flooring the accelerator pedal or when the engine temp reaches ~220 degrees.
After I added fluid it stayed on. Determined it was a stuck Cadillac valve. Of course after I order the parts, it starts running like it's suppose to with fan kicking in at 220. Gremlins, go figure.

Natron

MILCOMMOGUY:

Nope, in power steering reservoir. (I only mentioned 4spd bc fluid specs vary from 3 to 4spd so just letting ppl know if they didn't know what the M1097 has under floor)
I was under the impression (dextron 3) as called for in my trans, was also a GM designation for power steering fluid as well (meaning they used name "dextron" for numerous fluids. I get that dex 3 trans fluid can be used for transmission, transfer case, and power steering in some vehicles but it appears as if the additives in power steering fluid exceed what is in atf.

Last edited:

Natron

TAGE:
I get what you're saying except I'm 40yo lol and now we do HAVE power steering fluid and I'm trying to get a reasonable and educated response on the matter.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TAGE:
I get what you're saying except I'm 40yo lol and now we do HAVE power steering fluid and I'm trying to get a reasonable and educated response on the matter.
ATF generally has friction material in it to help the clutches grab , while power steering fluid is more of a clean hydraulic oil. .

Edit; Natron , just a heads up before a moderator notices , but site rules require you list a state in your location .

Last edited:

Action

TAGE:
So, you just want to use Power steering fluid because we have Power steering fluid? I have olive oil, but I do not want to put it in my motor. But, it is still oil. Why does it sound like you are against putting what the manufacturer specified for it? A previous poster stated he couldn't find Dex 2. Then use Dex 3.

There is no "T" inDEXRON.

Why is there no Dexron 4 or Dexron 5? It goes from 3 to 6.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks