• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Florida Permit/Inspection for MEP installation

jaxbill

Hello,

Has anyone here had any type of electrical installation related to your MEP that was inspected by a Florida county building inspector?
Interlock, manual DPDT transfer switch, or even ATS?

I realize a few counties like Miami Dade have their own very specific code related to generators but I am in your typical lesser populated county that follows the standardized Florida Building Codes.

I am curious if there were any issues.

Thanks

Bill

Bmxenbrett

I dont know FL codes but i do know that there not UL approved. You may be better having it setup as a portable generator plug in station and useing the mep on it.

jaxbill

I dont know FL codes but i do know that there not UL approved. You may be better having it setup as a portable generator plug in station and useing the mep on it.
I have been thinking about that. It looks like UL 2200 is only mentioned in the FL code book for commercial installations but that doesn't mean it can't still be a problem for me. Even for a portable setup, I think this means I would have to have the MEP out of sight from the inlet. This is one of the reasons I was wondering if anyone had an inspection with the MEP present.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't pull permits, as a general rule. With that said... it seems the least annoying way to do this would probably to have a locking receptacle put on the side of a structure (as already said), and just use a cord with locking connector on it. Even if you intend on the set being stationary after the fact, it does not need to be in position (or the inspector even knowing anything about WHAT will be connected to the receptacle) for the site approval of installation.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thought the power company like FPL were offering and unit where that take out the meter and put in an adapter then plug the meter back in. Then you plug in you power to that.

jaxbill

Thought the power company like FPL were offering and unit where that take out the meter and put in an adapter then plug the meter back in. Then you plug in you power to that.
My utility doesn't have a formal program for this unfortunately. I'm trying to get our municipal utility to approve a device like this mostly because it ends up being easier for my particular situation than an interlock. I believe in my case the utility has to approve it, I have to hired an electrician to install it, get an inspection, and then the utility re-installs the meter.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For my MEP003a installation, I contacted the county building inspector and Blue Ridge Mountain EMC. I purchased a 400 amp manual transfer switch on Ebay. EMC came out and disconnected the power. I installed the transfer switch myself. EMC and the building inspector came out the same day and approved my installation and turned the power back on. I had no issues whatsoever. However, I'm in Towns County Georgia, not Florida. EMC was very happy that I was using a transfer switch. It was also very good that both EMC and the building inspector agreed to coordinate their visits and I was able to perform the entire operation in one day.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here in NC I helped my brother replace his main panel outside with one that would accept an interlock setup. Same kind of thing. Pulled permits, power company came out and disconnected the service. We installed the new panel which included the generator inlet, breaker, and interlock. Inspector came out and signed us off within 5 minutes. Zero interest in the generator from an inspection perspective.

I would not expect as easy of an inspection where I live in Orange County NC. The inspectors from Chapel Hill NC tend to be a lot more strict.

I recommend having a conversation with a local electrician or inspector if you can. That may give you the insight you are looking for.

jaxbill

For my MEP003a installation, I contacted the county building inspector and Blue Ridge Mountain EMC. I purchased a 400 amp manual transfer switch on Ebay. EMC came out and disconnected the power. I installed the transfer switch myself. EMC and the building inspector came out the same day and approved my installation and turned the power back on. I had no issues whatsoever. However, I'm in Towns County Georgia, not Florida. EMC was very happy that I was using a transfer switch. It was also very good that both EMC and the building inspector agreed to coordinate their visits and I was able to perform the entire operation in one day.
That's good to hear. Florida building code doesn't seem to be a major burden. I don't even see where a UL listed generator is required for optional standby systems. I believe it's the city codes (where they exist) that can be a real pain but that doesn't apply to where I live fortunately. I've read some city specific checklists that are over the top. Thanks

jaxbill

I recommend having a conversation with a local electrician or inspector if you can. That may give you the insight you are looking for.
That's a good idea. I am trying to find a smaller one-man shop type electrician that's been around for a long time in my particular county. I've used larger companies for things in the past and they haven't been much help. One guy told me to hide/move/tarp the generator which I thought was nuts. He couldn't really explain why I would need to do that. I need to get better advice and find someone who doesn't want to sell me a LP Generac.

Bmxenbrett

Why dont you just call the inspector directly and not deal with 3rd party out of your area heresay?

From a logical stand point a transfer switch dosnt need to have a generator hooked to it to be inspected..or else every time somone sold there only one they would be violating code....call the inspector.

jaxbill

Why dont you just call the inspector directly and not deal with 3rd party out of your area heresay?

From a logical stand point a transfer switch dosnt need to have a generator hooked to it to be inspected..or else every time somone sold there only one they would be violating code....call the inspector.
I can only talk to "plans reviewers" who are not very helpful and frequently say the answer to any particular question is up to the individual inspector. It seems their goal is to hang up after 30 seconds. I might try to drive down there and go in person. I might find an actual inspector.

Although I got some good out-of-area info from this thread, I imagine eventually someone else from Florida has gone through this and share their story.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a good idea. I am trying to find a smaller one-man shop type electrician that's been around for a long time in my particular county. I've used larger companies for things in the past and they haven't been much help. One guy told me to hide/move/tarp the generator which I thought was nuts. He couldn't really explain why I would need to do that. I need to get better advice and find someone who doesn't want to sell me a LP Generac.
Howdy,

That's exactly what you need to do. Hide the generator. Get everything installed and inspected. As long as the hookup, transfer switch, panels, meter and such are ready for service and generator inlet is ready, they have no need to know what generator is used. That is on you.

jaxbill

Howdy,

That's exactly what you need to do. Hide the generator. Get everything installed and inspected. As long as the hookup, transfer switch, panels, meter and such are ready for service and generator inlet is ready, they have no need to know what generator is used. That is on you.
Yeah, after having a chat today with a local electrician, he said around here it's not about violating any code. It's about just trying to minimize drama or giving an inspector having a bad day something to latch on to. He said it's entirely possible to have a dispute with an inspector where they will not even cite a specific code number. It might not seem right but that's life sometimes.

LEOK

The best plan is to present a complete plan for pre approval when go to get the permit. That way the inspector would have to say the other inspector at the office was wrong.

69birdman

I live in Florida ,but did not pull permit. I installed a 50amp inlet wired to an Interlock myself and had an electrician friend look it over. I originally planned to mount my 803a stationary but after reading in some past thread here ,of other areas permitting on stationary/ temporary, I decided to keep it MEP & mount it to a small trailer.
Besides I have huge trees around my house, if a storm knocks a tree through my roof, I can hitch up the gen and go elsewhere.

LEOK

Good plan just make sure you have enough fuel stored ahead of storm. I'm sure many neighbors would be glad to have visitor show up with power, bring a collection of wire and connectors

robertsears1

In my county in NC while I was building the house, they had time set aside first thing in the morning where you could talk directly to the inspector that would look at your work. It saved lots of time since it reduced me going down the wrong rabbit path (as much) and I built a relationship with him. Maybe not so much in your case since you don’t seem to be able to talk directly so far but ask if your county/city does anything like that.

Robert

csheath

If they wanted you to get a permit they wouldn't make it so difficult.

I did my own interlock on the breaker panel. The interlock was made by Square D and sold at the home improvement store.

I have had utility workers on my property checking for line damage with my 803 connected and running and they didn't say a word. They just glanced over at it and went on.

69birdman

If they wanted you to get a permit they wouldn't make it so difficult.

I did my own interlock on the breaker panel. The interlock was made by Square D and sold at the home improvement store.

I have had utility workers on my property checking for line damage with my 803 connected and running and they didn't say a word. They just glanced over at it and went on.
I had nearly the same response, while replacing a pole across the road from me, they disconnected my service and alerted me before hand , when they reconnected, a worker checked and saw my 803 , and gave me a thumb up, I commented "interlock panel" and he gave me thumbs up again and went on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks