• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1955 mowag T1

gel69

good day everyone,
my name is Gil I am a returning steel soldier member since I had a M35 a few years back. I am now back in the game so do speak with an odd bird a 1955 Mowag T1 ex Switzerland troop carrier.
I don t know much about the rig, I just landed it a few weeks ago as a favor from a friend to clear his barn....:smile:
the Mowag is still oversea awaiting a tune up before migrating to Florida.
I do believe it is fitted with a straight six flat head gas motor (could be dodge origin but not positive)
if anyone has any additional knowledge this would be of great help
cheers
Gil
mowag~2.jpgmowag~3.jpgMowag ~1.jpg

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I gather they used a lot of Dodge parts, mainly WC stuff, so it is likely that engine.

I have always wondered why so many Swiss military trucks (and some Italian) are right-hand drive.

Cheers

gel69

thanks for your input, this is what I think too, although I will have additional engine pictures soon, I believe it has the 230 CID flat head six from the dodge power wagon of the same year. I am hoping that Mowag also borrowed the transmission and the axles from the same source , that would be of great help for maintenance. And who knows maybe the winch is from Braden too....I might be pushing my luck .
As for the RHD I have been told that during black out mod the RHD position help the driver keep sight of the hedge of the road he is travelling on.
cheers

gel69

I gather they used a lot of Dodge parts, mainly WC stuff, so it is likely that engine.

I have always wondered why so many Swiss military trucks (and some Italian) are right-hand drive.

Cheers
hanks for your input, this is what I think too, although I will have additional engine pictures soon, I believe it has the 230 CID flat head six from the dodge power wagon of the same year. I am hoping that Mowag also borrowed the transmission and the axles from the same source , that would be of great help for maintenance. And who knows maybe the winch is from Braden too....I might be pushing my luck .
As for the RHD I have been told that during black out mod the RHD position help the driver keep sight of the hedge of the road he is travelling on.
cheers

mowag engine~1.jpgmowag ~11.jpg

Attachments

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello Gil and congrats on you r new acquisition a Mowag is one of those trucks that you know is out there but you never give them any thought! The engine in you truck is definitely a Mopar likely a 230 but it could also be the Canadian 251? or something of that size. The main cross member of your truck sure looks M-37 to me along with the rear diff and stabilizer bar. Very neat truck! Please keep us posted as your improvements grow!

Karl

gel69

Hello Gil and congrats on you r new acquisition a Mowag is one of those trucks that you know is out there but you never give them any thought! The engine in you truck is definitely a Mopar likely a 230 but it could also be the Canadian 251? or something of that size. The main cross member of your truck sure looks M-37 to me along with the rear diff and stabilizer bar. Very neat truck! Please keep us posted as your improvements grow!

Karl
Hi Karl, thanks for the kind words, the distance purchase along with limited information available, made the thing a little scary at first, the shared drive train is somewhat a reassurance ..;o))
you mentioned a Canadian 251 CI, is there any distinct external differences between the two engines that we could be looking for?
My plan is to go retrieve the Mowag next summer and bring with me a sorted amount of parts needed for the tune up, engine, carburetor and brakes.
Do the 251 and 230 share the same parts?
will keep you guys posted of the progress
regards
Gil

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello Gil and just to reassure you on the Mowag, you have been in this game long enough to know that we do figure out virtually everything that goes on with our trucks, its part of the fun! Gil I would request some assistance from some of the other members on this site to let us know if there is any external discerning differences between the US engine and the Canadian engine. I have never knowingly seen a 251 M-37 in my time. It would be my guess, (remember that word) that the engines would share the same carbs and very likely the same electrical system? Why dont you for now put out a request for info on this post concerning the two engines and I will be doing some research on my end Gil and we can compare notes.
Talk more soon
Karl

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Gil I confirmed the engine is a dodge engine for sure and the easiest way to tell the diff between the 230 and the 251 is to measure the length of the head. The 230 ci =23" long head and the 251 ci engines head is 25" long. I have not found anything concrete on the running gear on your truck yet? Will talk more this week after I find some stuff out Gill.
Talk soon
Karl

CMPPhil

According to Bart Vandervee's books

Hi Gil

Love trucks that are different, according to Bart Vanderveen's military vehicle refference books it has "Dodge T137 3770-cc sv" and that it is based on " Chrysler (Dodge) Power Wagon mechanical components." I'll scan in the short descriptions and photos from his books and post. Also I believe that there was an extensive article or (s) about the Mowag in Wheels and Tracks magazine that Bart Vanderveen edited. I will take a look and see if I can find the article(s)

It is great fun having a odd, different, unusual military vehicle.

Cheers Phil

gel69

Hi Gil

Love trucks that are different, according to Bart Vanderveen's military vehicle refference books it has "Dodge T137 3770-cc sv" and that it is based on " Chrysler (Dodge) Power Wagon mechanical components." I'll scan in the short descriptions and photos from his books and post. Also I believe that there was an extensive article or (s) about the Mowag in Wheels and Tracks magazine that Bart Vanderveen edited. I will take a look and see if I can find the article(s)

It is great fun having a odd, different, unusual military vehicle.

Cheers Phil
Hi Phil, thanks for the input. here is the VIN# plate picture received this AM mowag # plate ~2.jpg
that shows the T137 engine # you mentioned
cheers
Gil

CMPPhil

Info from Bart Vanderveen

Hi Gil

Here are the pages from the Guide books The Observer's Military Vehicles Directory From 1945, (1972) and Historic Military Vehicles Directory (1989) have not found the article in Wheels and Tracks yet not listed on the cover indexes, will have to look through the actual issues, good excuse to look through them anyway.

Read the text in the first photo, interesting approach to MV ownership the Swiss government subsidized the purchase of military vehicles by private citizens on the condition that they were maintained in top condition, vehicles subject to being called up in times of war.
Mowag.jpg
Mowag 4.jpgMowag 3.jpgMowag 2.jpgMowag 1.jpg

Cheers Phil

gel69

Hi Gil

Here are the pages from the Guide books The Observer's Military Vehicles Directory From 1945, (1972) and Historic Military Vehicles Directory (1989) have not found the article in Wheels and Tracks yet not listed on the cover indexes, will have to look through the actual issues, good excuse to look through them anyway.

Read the text in the first photo, interesting approach to MV ownership the Swiss government subsidized the purchase of military vehicles by private citizens on the condition that they were maintained in top condition, vehicles subject to being called up in times of war.
View attachment 722526
View attachment 722523View attachment 722524View attachment 722525View attachment 722527

Cheers Phil
Hi Phil, really great material and in English.....:grin:
after freezing her buns off in Switzerland and Eastern France for all these years she deserves a warm retirement in FL
joke set aside, I am listing a set of parts that I am likely going to be needing for a decent overall. maybe a rebuilt carburetor kit , water pump, fuel pump and so on. within the next couple of weeks I should know if or what the local mechanic is willing to perform.
will keep you posted
Cheers
Gil

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks