• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wiring a 50 amp 120v rv service

Ranger Danger

Howdy,
You have given us some pictures. Now take a picture on the inlet on the RV. The inlet plug will have special little writing on it will then be your course of action. (NEMA xxa-xxxv) The MEP-802A can supply what you need. It will really depend on the RV itself.

OK, what is the RV? make, model, etc... The internet is fantastic in looking things up. :shock:

pictures needed,
inlet
breaker panel in RV
I'm actually not using the RV plug. I am hard wiring from the genny straight to the inside breaker panel in the RV. I would post pics but the RV is in 30" of snow, 2 hours from here. It is a 36' fifth wheel with 3 slideouts made by NU-WA under the name Hitchhiker premier. These pics are not of mine but mine is identical to this one.
http://www.nuwarvsource.com/rvinventory_item.asp?id=2543889#
1_3058_2145846_49368683.jpg1_3058_2145846_49368704.jpg1_3058_2145846_49368711.jpg

Ranger Danger

This is the best wiring diagram for an RV 50 amp 120v I could find. Both black wire and red wire are 120v supply. From the genny, each would provide 26 amps when set in the 120/240 setting.
Remember I will be wiring direct from the genny. Not through a plug. The other option is to run one black wire at 52 amps and jump it across to the red wire in the diagram. Set the genny in the 120v setting.
50ampRVDistribution.jpg

csheath

You need to use the input built into the RV. That will determine the setting and connection for the generator.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
I did some googling..
It will depend on the options for electric service on the RV. There are option code for a 50 amp 120/240 CS6365 connection, which means you can always adapt down. Then there is 30 amp 120v power connection option.

Your connection (hard wired or not) will be dependent on how your RV is configured.

IMHO, you should invest in a bunch of batteries for a battery bank, and solar panels for running the battery charging and converter.

I would suggest that any other modification should be taken up with your RV dealer.

Ranger Danger

Howdy,
I did some googling..
It will depend on the options for electric service on the RV. There are option code for a 50 amp 120/240 CS6365 connection, which means you can always adapt down. Then there is 30 amp 120v power connection option.

Your connection (hard wired or not) will be dependent on how your RV is configured.

IMHO, you should invest in a bunch of batteries for a battery bank, and solar panels for running the battery charging and converter.

I would suggest that any other modification should be taken up with your RV dealer.
My unit has the 50 amp option.
I have already done the battery thing. I have 4 100 amp/hour Lithium Iron batteries (Battle Born) and a premium charger.
Solar is out! My property is heavily forested and even in the small clearings that get sun light, I would need a massive amount of panels to get any real solar benefit.
The reason I was considering hard wiring is because of the distance to the genny and the voltage loss that can come from to many connections. I may reconsider this just for convenience.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My unit has the 50 amp option.
I have already done the battery thing. I have 4 100 amp/hour Lithium Iron batteries (Battle Born) and a premium charger.
Solar is out! My property is heavily forested and even in the small clearings that get sun light, I would need a massive amount of panels to get any real solar benefit.
The reason I was considering hard wiring is because of the distance to the genny and the voltage loss that can come from to many connections. I may reconsider this just for convenience.
If you have the #6 wire, you can span a long way with little drop (120v, 50a in,100' = -3.95v = 116v) If you don't have it yet, a 75*c wire in #8 would work too (113.7v).

Ranger Danger

Thanks to all who have assisted me in this project. The genny will be delivered some time next week. It will then take me a couple of weeks to do the installation. I promise that I will come back with an update at that time. Again, Thanks everyone!! RD

Ranger Danger

Ok, I got it done. The wiring run is 72' buried 24" down in 1" PVC pipe and 83' overall. I ran 4 6 gauge wires. One each red, black, green and white. I connected the red to L1, black to L3, white to N and green to ground. I set the genny to 120/240. I wired the RV end just like you would a 240/ 50 amp plug. I did not wire it directly to the breaker box but rather to a supply pole where I then ran a 15' 50 amp RV power cord to the RV. I drove a 8' x 5/8" copper ground rod in 7 feet right next to the genny and connected a bare #6 wire from the ground lug to the ground rod. I can now run the A/C, microwave, TV, heater and battery charger all at the same time with no noticeable strain on the genny! HOORAY!!!

MANY Thanks to everybody for your assistance!!

Attachments

NATCAD

Ok, I got it done. The wiring run is 72' buried 24" down in 1" PVC pipe and 83' overall. I ran 4 6 gauge wires. One each red, black, green and white. I connected the red to L1, black to L3, white to N and green to ground. I set the genny to 120/240. I wired the RV end just like you would a 240/ 50 amp plug. I did not wire it directly to the breaker box but rather to a supply pole where I then ran a 15' 50 amp RV power cord to the RV. I drove a 8' x 5/8" copper ground rod in 7 feet right next to the genny and connected a bare #6 wire from the ground lug to the ground rod. I can now run the A/C, microwave, TV, heater and battery charger all at the same time with no noticeable strain on the genny! HOORAY!!!

MANY Thanks to everybody for your assistance!!

Just a question on ground : you have it going to your trailer but also a grounding rod at generator ?
I’m guessing trailer has no grounding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldPhart

Disregard this post

If you leftclick and hold the button down while you sweep the mouse over the text you may be able to read it-I can.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks