• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hydra Matic Transmission Videos

SturmTyger380

I have worked my way to half way though #4. Then got too sleepy in the evening. :| I am learning a lot though. That ring compressor tool is a must have if you are working on that transmission.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum, but I thought I'd share an amazing set of videos I found regarding the Hydra Matic transmission, it's history and function, and assembly. It is all done by a professor from Weber State University in Utah.

Enjoy!
It's your first post and you already have us tied up for hours :D. Welcome aboard and thanks for the links.

Are you being forced into re-building a transmission?

The prof is so cool I had to watch. Being that calm in a shop would be a big change to the level of intensity I usually see. He's a sharp guy and a shows great example of fun wrenching.

Anyone close enough to him that we can donate a 303M for a tear-down video review? Take a G749 to the school for a visit then slide a military transmission on to his desk?.....with a white envelope full of G749 funds beside it?

P3200770.jpg

dmetalmiki

Welcome to the site. Thank you for the very informative videos. I had to skip through quite a bit as (Too many) 'Um's' drive me nuts!
(Cadillacs), The hydra matic transmission was the finest transmission ever designed. And as such used in the worlds finest cars. To name but a few. Rolls Royce. Bentley. Many top Italian cars and more used them.

downhillbiker

Thanks for the feedback guys. He is definitely a fun to watch professor (even if he did say um a lot). I actually emailed him to ask a couple more questions and compliment him on the videos and he responded within 5 minutes with more information. He said that was truly a fun project for him.

Yes, I am "forced" into rebuilding one of these transmissions. I am purchasing a 1953 M211 that has transmission issues. 2nd and 4th are slipping. After watching the videos I have determined it can be low fluid, low pressure, the front clutch pack worn, or the front band adjustment being too tight. After watching these videos I'm honestly excited to tear into the job and bring the transmission new life. With ascuh oil as has leaked from this case I wouldn't be surprised if it was low fluid and low pressure...bit I still want to dig all the way through if I'm doing gaskets anyway.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are 5 pages of helpful troubleshooting starting at page 163 and it sounds like you're on the right track. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?106483-More-M135-TM-s

I, T, Y or L, also suggest oil passages and control valve bath with a recent post I glanced at suggesting a 'clean up' was all a hydromatic needs sometimes.

The guru's I follow, let's call them 'Toms' or ' Adrian's' for argument sake, insist on oil pressure checks, linkage adjustments and a pile of other service before a guy pulls one out.

Mine seem to leak when they sit. After a hot bath, maintenance and a drive the stains can go away so here's to an easy path toward a test drive. :beer:

downhillbiker

There are 5 pages of helpful troubleshooting starting at page 163 and it sounds like you're on the right track. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?106483-More-M135-TM-s

I, T, Y or L, also suggest oil passages and control valve bath with a recent post I glanced at suggesting a 'clean up' was all a hydromatic needs sometimes.

The guru's I follow, let's call them 'Toms' or ' Adrian's' for argument sake, insist on oil pressure checks, linkage adjustments and a pile of other service before a guy pulls one out.

Mine seem to leak when they sit. After a hot bath, maintenance and a drive the stains can go away so here's to an easy path toward a test drive.
Thanks for this info. I will definitely try some of the tips before I rip the transmission out of the truck.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

M37keppy

Doing a rebuild is doable you just have to do your homework first and get the TMs and gather all the parts. The only problems I ran into when I rebuilt one was not having the remover replacer tool C7950563 (its used to seat the output shaft bearing in the housing) and dried up shrunk gaskets.

gentrysgarage

Here ya go!

Here you go guys, go to youtube.com and paste into the search bar.

ygkRuwCpKxU

Side note: I tried to just have the addresses only but it seems youtube wants to crawl/force its way into the various websites and finally this was the only way to get it to work since embedded vids weren't working for you guys!

rustystud

It's your first post and you already have us tied up for hours :D. Welcome aboard and thanks for the links.

Are you being forced into re-building a transmission?

The prof is so cool I had to watch. Being that calm in a shop would be a big change to the level of intensity I usually see. He's a sharp guy and a shows great example of fun wrenching.

Anyone close enough to him that we can donate a 303M for a tear-down video review? Take a G749 to the school for a visit then slide a military transmission on to his desk?.....with a white envelope full of G749 funds beside it?

View attachment 722634
Hopefully soon I will be rebuilding one of mine. I have 5 core transmissions already (two more on the way) and several rebuild kits with lots of extra parts like shims and bands and such. I used to rebuild these back in the day, but now the parts supply has all dried up and you need your own stock-pile. Several parts venders will not sell certain bushings and seals as they say they need them for their own "in house" total transmission rebuilds.
One of the mods I will be doing is installing a Chevy V-8 housing on the old Hydra-Matic so I can use a Chevy 350 engine in my old Studebaker REO. That should be fun to drive !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks