• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Change in how South Dakota regulates Historical Vehicles

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
On Feb.14 2018 SD changed the law regulating Historical Vehicles.

Under the old law a person could register MVs as historical if they were 30 years old, no weight restrictions But could not use the MV for general pleasure use, only using it for parades etc..

Under the new law you can register an MV as historical if it is older than 30 years. But the weight must be less than 8000 lbs.. And now it can be used for general pleasure use up to 4000 miles a year and for parades etc.. The pleasure use is an improvement.

So to me it looks like any MV over 8000 lbs. can no longer be registered as a Historical Vehicle in SD. Sort of stops folks from registering a larger MV.

I have been registering all my many larger trucks as Historical for many years. But being a stubborn old fart I now will let the Henderson boys decide what they want to do with a couple of 8000 lbs. plus MVs.

NEW LAW:

https://legiscan.com/SD/text/HB1117/2018

OLD LAW:

http://dor.sd.gov/Motor_Vehicles/License_Plates/Historic_Plates.aspx

Last edited:

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Just got off the phone with Tim Goodwin my representative in the state legislature. He said he will offer a bill to modify the bill just passed. Rremoving the 8000lb limit. Turns out he is a retired Army Officer with 24 years active duty. We will work on a fix for the just passed bill next session in 2019. After talking to him I feel he will do as he said..........OH Ya!... he is on the transportation committee also

If some of you other SD people want to support the change send him an email.

tim.goodwin@sdlegislature.gov

undysworld

Maccus,

That's great news, both that you have a legislator willing to sponsor such an amendment and that he's on the Trans. committee. Many times it seems to take a few attempts to get things right. Keep up the good work.

In case you face opposition from your DMV, you might spend some time gathering supporters willing to help you. When you get a bill written, then you'll need a bunch of people willing to phone their legislators in support, to show up to public hearings about the bill, etc.

Don't overwhelm the guy with too much email, at least just yet.

But awesome news!!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Just got off the phone with Tim Goodwin my representative in the state legislature. He said he will offer a bill to modify the bill just passed. Rremoving the 8000lb limit. Turns out he is a retired Army Officer with 24 years active duty. We will work on a fix for the just passed bill next session in 2019. After talking to him I feel he will do as he said..........OH Ya!... he is on the transportation committee also

If some of you other SD people want to support the change send him an email.

tim.goodwin@sdlegislature.gov

This is the right way to affect the change we want.

Bitching on the internet feels good but accomplishes nothing. Organizing, contacting representatives and being knowledgeable, not crazy and polite make things happen. Look what Swiss and Zout and the guys in Georgia did.

undysworld

FWIW,
You guys will make a much bigger impact on your legislators if you TELEPHONE their offices, than if you send an email.

How many junk emails do YOU get every day? They get way more emails, and at some point they get ignored.

A ringing telephone is pretty much impossible to ignore.

Don't waste your time. Use the phone.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
FWIW,
You guys will make a much bigger impact on your legislators if you TELEPHONE their offices, than if you send an email.

How many junk emails do YOU get every day? They get way more emails, and at some point they get ignored.

A ringing telephone is pretty much impossible to ignore.

Don't waste your time. Use the phone.

At this point in time a lot of phone calls will just *iss him off and have a negative effect. As the only way to call him is at home. In this state elected state legislature officials are part time. His office will not be staffed until just before the 2019 session. He has created an email file to save all the comments on a proposed change to the just passed bill. We will work on the change together using information from the email file created and the MV folks living here when the time is right.

The number of MV concerned people in this state is a very small number. And I know just about all of them. Folks from the plains states thru the rocky mountain states are a stubborn bunch and pushing them to hard will backfire on you.

Clinto is right a cool head and steady/calm work will do it here. As it will do in most states also.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks