• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What on the **** is happening to our rights to drive our trucks?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please post the specific laws/statues or letters of your state's actions. We are facing the same problem in La. Others have mentioned of problems in Idaho and Va.

Is this from Ca or Nv ?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
That's not a Demil code change to Offroad Only. That's a Demil code change to require an EUC, which has nothing to do with restricting them to Offroad.
I didn't say it was the 939 trucks. he said that his state is restricting them to offroad That being said offroad use only by demil is up to the states decision. I should cut out the word "change" i guess then.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry. The way I read post #2 looked like you were referencing a recent restriction to off road only. All the more so since post #1 references a nonexistent federal off road restriction on 5tons.

I'll crawl back under my rock now...

Edit to add a picture of my rock. (Meteor Crater Road)

20180322_121958.jpg

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Sorry. The way I read post #2 looked like you were referencing a recent restriction to off road only. All the more so since post #1 references a nonexistent federal off road restriction on 5tons.

I'll crawl back under my rock now...
Yeah Maybe it wasn't to the point like it should have been. he is one of these owners that thinks his truck is useless and jumps to starting threads with cuss words rather than a simple lookup of his nevada laws and rules. You know how it is. Better find a rock in that desert, no trees.

Nevada is not a friendly FMV state!
We are too close to California. People are moving here in droves then voting and influencing the same way that made California a place to leave. The DMV has been playing hard ball and I'm just trying to get to the bottom of it as I can't see how they legally can reverse a registration with out just cause. It's a truck that was designed for highway use. Period. The fact it has enhancements that make it capeable off highway does not change it's on road status. I have been getting some good Intel from SS members (thank you folks)
and will not panic yet.

Lust4GreenSteel

At the risk of starting a fire here, I don't think that any of us has a RIGHT to drive our FMVs. Often we confuse rights with privileges. Privileges can be granted and can be taken away. Rights are way different.

Please understand, I love these trucks as much as anyone, and am offended and angry if anyone (including my wife) tells me what I can or can not do with them. However, I do not have a RIGHT to possess or drive any FMV.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think a lot of this was brought on by one particular MV being released with restrictions and once people who bought these decided they didn't like the restrictions they agreed to , they went to great lengths to get around these restrictions.
Which PO'ed people with power to end it. Had these unhappy buyers united in the beginning and put as much effort in changing the rules, as they have put into trying to get around them we wouldn't be at the point of ALL MV's nearing the end of how we have used and enjoyed them.

Bighorn

It is sad that just a few months back, military trucks driven by private citizens were hailed as heroes.
Anybody remember that?
Come to Wyoming.
At least out here in the sticks, you can still register a half track.
Correction; we don't really have sticks..
Out here in the sage brush, you can still register a half track.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone have a copy of the supposed letter that the Nevada DMV folks are using to justify their reluctance to register M939-series trucks for on-road use? I keep hearing second- and third-hand info (not including you Tim), but haven’t yet seen the actual letter or other correspondence.

Southern NV doesn’t seem to have these issues, so far just Ely & Reno area.

mdainsd

Spare us the California bashing. We have pretty good access to registering MVs here. Ive been enjoying them since 1968. Had the first privately owned and street licensed Gamma Goat, dozens of 2 1/2 and 5 tonners and who knows how many jeeps. Some guys I know are registering GP HMMVVs.

snowtrac nome

It may be bs, but t think all this is the feds are getting smart to the fact a small operator can pick one of these trucks up with low miles and operate them reliably at a low cost. The government wants commercial operators to have the latest in emissions equipment and safety equipment, they don't want people being able to go back in time and buying low milage trucks with no emissions. Remember there are major manufactures expecting the feds to stimulate their business, one reason in the past so many trucks and tractors were pushed over the sides of aircraft carriers.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At the risk of starting a fire here, I don't think that any of us has a RIGHT to drive our FMVs. Often we confuse rights with privileges. Privileges can be granted and can be taken away. Rights are way different.

Please understand, I love these trucks as much as anyone, and am offended and angry if anyone (including my wife) tells me what I can or can not do with them. However, I do not have a RIGHT to possess or drive any FMV.
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these aret Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed."

According to the above, which every state in the Union signed on to, to become a state, you have an absolute right to both possess and drive an FMV.
I do not consent, and I will not abide by tyranical dictates of those who think they are my "betters".

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks