• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

25A Voltage Regulator Overcharging

Crazyguyla

My 25A regulator is overcharging. I have looked at 9-2320-209-35 for adjustments, but my regulator has 4 relays under the cover. What is the 4th relay? what is its adjustment? It will charge correctly for about five minutes, but then peg out at 30v. I have checked the voltage at the batteries. I would like to keep this 24v system, but the costs of an alternator or a transistorized regulator are a bit steep. I could convert to 12v for cheaper. Any help with correcting this overcharging would be appreciated.

Marcus

Attachments

mdainsd

Have you tried simply cleaning all the points on the relays. Overcharging usually occurs when the points of the "voltage cutout relay" stick together. This relay gets the most abuse as it is constantly opening and closing. The contacts are closed when nothing is going on and when the voltage of the system gets to around 28 volts this relay opens these contacts which are the ones that feed voltage to the field of the generator. if cleaning doesn't do the trick you need to determine if the coil of that relay has failed (open circuit) This should address 90% of the over charge condition.

Crazyguyla

Have you tried simply cleaning all the points on the relays. Overcharging usually occurs when the points of the "voltage cutout relay" stick together. This relay gets the most abuse as it is constantly opening and closing. The contacts are closed when nothing is going on and when the voltage of the system gets to around 28 volts this relay opens these contacts which are the ones that feed voltage to the field of the generator. if cleaning doesn't do the trick you need to determine if the coil of that relay has failed (open circuit) This should address 90% of the over charge condition.
I guess I should have mentioned all the points have been cleaned and checked for free movement. I'll probably take all the relays off, clean all the connections, check the coils for opens, and make sure all the grounds are good. I'm also going to see how hard it'd be to bypass the 4th relay since this regulator as an early production and the three relay regulators, 1118656, were service replacements for this regulator. Troubleshooting electrical components, so much fun.. :deadhorse:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks