• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Louisiana - State Flagging Existing Titles, and Registering New Vehicles as Off-Road

Al Capone

So we thought they were just after humvees but now they going after every military vehicle . Demanding nhtsa decals to be shown or no more road use . They don’t care if we have official documents stating military vehicles meet or exceed federal standards , that nhtsa decals were only required on new vehicles and are not needed on used vehicles or vehicles 25 years or older , and we have documents stating military vehicles were exempt from needing them. They told one guy with a 5 ton truck that the guy he bought it from knew they were Offroad only when he bought it . Excuse me but only humvees were stamped with that opinion . La told him they want all military vehicles off the roads . Letters are being sent out weekly. If u get one send me message and will add ya to the list for upcoming vehicle commsion hearing . And pending lawsuit .

[h=2]Merged with Louisiana now revoking all military vehicle titles [/h]

Last edited by a moderator:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Maybe someone should post a copy of the letter rather than it all being just hearsay about one guy told another guy.

Some people have their military trucks registered as campers and went thru the state inspection in Baton Rouge. They would play heck going thru to track down everyone thru the regular plates, commercial, camper, historical, etc.

Al Capone

It’s not hear say . I have my letter and have seen others . We have been fighting the omv and have them recorded stating they going after all military vehicles . I can’t see them demanding stickers on wwii and Korea era vehicles .

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
AL CAPONE, there is another thread on this already. I suggest you check it out because it lists quite a few guys in LA that have already mentioned being affected. They could possibly be a part of what you are coordinating. Good luck!

frodobaggins

Me:) said:
Welcome all to the new thread. The last one got a little derailed. I would ask that ALL show some restraint in this one.
If you see something inflammatory, just try to ignore it. Not everything you disagree with needs a response. The whole
purpose of this thread is information. I kindly ask if you can't be civil, please bow out.

I will reserve the first two or three posts in this thread to post information as it comes in.
I will be updating this thread with a list of what we know as soon as I am able to. In the meantime, here are the links to the
previous threads on this issue:

Louisiana-State-Asking-for-NHTSA-sticker-for-deuce-titled-and-registered-in-2009
Louisiana-now-revoking-all-military-vehicle-titles

This thread is not a straight continuation of previous threads, please refrain from bringing any "mess" forward.

Thank you,

Frodo

frodobaggins

Reserved post #1.

Update #1: Sorry I've been absent. With the Holiday and work time is tight. I will issue a proper update after I've talked to a few people.
---In the meantime, there are some good posts down below.

Last edited:

Al Capone

Still waiting on the reply from la vehicle hearing commision date . We have a lawyer agreed to come as long as he is not in court to help try and convince omv of their wrong doings and what outcome will end up looking like . Also we have requested a meeting with the govenor for April 27th. We are waiting for the governor office to confirm. Said it could take weeks to confirm . I’m sure vehicle commision will stall as long as they can

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While a double edged sword, having the media involved could help drastically.
Showing all the help the trucks provided when storms hit.
Helping LE and Emergency services, etc.

Having a few (or a lot) trucks stop by the tv stations and someone(s) who is very well versed in the current LA title issues speak to them.
Just state the facts as known.
No embellishment or hearsay.
Copy of letters in hand proving their intent.

Amazing how fast agencies and politicians act when faced with positive public opinion.

Not everyone will agree with our ownership, but when all the positive things about them and the community help they have and will provide, most opinions will change.

This issue will spread nationwide if not challenged and stopped.

Just a thought.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As the one who coined the term "Cajun Army", I think we need to stand on our own merits as separate disaster responders, so we do not take anything away from their good work, or be seen as trying to hang onto their coat tails. I actually see FMV owners as complementary to them as we each have limits and advantages. If needed, we might reach out for their support (see item 3 below).

As mentioned in the other thread, my M923A2 was issued a ORV title when I registered it a couple of weeks ago. I have a number of other MVs already registered normally that are threatened, and have already lost one truck sale due to this arbitrary regulatory interpretation. I'm starting to get a little peeved! I'm about 1 hr from Baton Rouge. I'm also retired with time available to devote to the issue, and spent my last 40 working years reading and interpreting federal and state regulations to ensure my company's compliance. (Two major things I learned quickly is that you can't just start reading a regulation in the middle - you have to start at the beginning of the section to determine applicability. The other is that you cannot expect government regulations to have any correlation to common sense).

I've kept quiet during recent discussions, just to hear everyone's ideas, and have been reading all the posted links to get a good background of other states' histories. I've also re-read Sarge's trip during Katrina (which was the impetus for me to get my first FMV), the 2017 Harvey TX and LA flood rescues, and the 2016 LA flood rescues. I'm also trying to download the parade, rally, and rescue photos and narratives as part of a presentation package to bolster our position.

Some thoughts:

1. I like the idea of attending the OMV Commision (or what ever it is called) hearing, but don't think that hearing will provide quick results.

2. The meeting with the Governor could be productive if the discussion is kept short, and the major position points are clear, concise and in writing for him to delegate to check out. We need to be clear in what we want to achieve. If he can override lower level policy, this might be the quickest solution.

3. We need to prepare a draft or suggested letter of support to our position statement for signature by local sheriffs, mayors and/or fire chiefs (and possibly the Cajun Navy head) who have worked with our people during disasters. Then we need to take the draft personally to them along with photos and our statement.

4. Once we get a position statement prepared, each owner in the state should use this to meet with their state representative and senator. My state representative was in my hunting club with me a while back, so I know he will take me seriously, but I want a complete position statement before I bother him. Our basic position should be something like "whereas" :
A- existing federal and LA state regulations allow the highway use of former military vehicles,
B- legal precident has determined that the various mil-stds are comparable to the FMVSS, and vehicles older than 25 years are not required to meet FMVSS,
C- privately-owned FMVs have been a critical and effective part of disaster response along the Gulf Coast states,
D-privately-owned FMVs are used in rallys and parades to honor our servicemen and women who traveled into harms way in these vehicles,
E- ....

5. Not sure if we should split HMMWV's with off-road stamped SF-97s as a separate issue from the rest of the FMVs in the state with unrestricted SF-97s. This is something we need to come to a consensus on, or offer as a two-tiered problem, as including HMMWVs may complicate and delay the outcome.

6. A lawsuit at this point would be costly, and probably also delay any resolution, as the "other" side can just point to the suit as an excuse not to act until the suit is settled. There is also the risk of losing the suit, and an appeal just adds cost and time. This should be the very last resort. I wouldn't spend any time or resources on this until every other avenue has failed. A mass media event on the capital steps would probably be scheduled just prior to filing the lawsuit. Local TV investigative reporters or something like "2 On Your Side" interviews could be useful maybe prior to the demonstration.

7. Lets not argue with, bad-mouth or harrass the agents we normally deal with at OMV. They are not the target, and can't change anything.

Sorry for the long post. Nothing above is cast in stone, and civil constructive discussion is very welcome.

Al Capone

Welcome to the fight trail boss . The omv hearing yes I agree will be useless but it’s part of the process we have to do directed by the lawyer we have . We don’t want to sue . That’s last resort . If we can get someone with logical thinking to read and look at all the official documents and info it should be a no brainer to get this fixed . Omv meeting would be open to all to come . Govenor meeting we requested is for small amount of people and we had to list all on the request . And gov meeting will be less than two hours due to location we are using opening for business after.

oh and thanks for whoever tried to wreck the go fund page and post lies . Real classy .

undysworld

Al,

When meeting with your Gov., it wouldn't hurt to have a list of signatures of folks who support your side. Even if the Gov. doesn't want to meet with a large group, the discussion could come around to "why isn't anyone else here with you?". (It did during a meeting here in Wis. over this issue.) With a list, you don't overwhelm the guy, but you can demonstrate that you represent a large group of people.

Re. Trailboss's #5: Assuming you do have to pursue legislation, I'd keep 'em together. It takes so much effort to pass one bill, if you can avoid doing it twice, great. Ask for the moon, but take what you can get. If needed, you could always sacrifice one item on the bill in order to obtain passage of the remainder of it. Besides, you can always go back the next session to finish.

Al Capone

I have started a list of affected customers . I right down name and contact numbers for them . But it seems hard to locate owners . I have around 20 at moment . Most have got their letters from omv already. Others are still waiting to see if they get hit . They all will be informed of date for commision hearing . My senator hewett is on vehicle commision actually and she put in the request for the hearing she said . And she said she already talked to commisenor but did not give details . The commissioner has the power to make these stupid decisions into law or statute without anyone voting on it . I believe this is what happened . The top omv girls won’t tell us who sent this order down. They keeping all that secret. They did say once it was dps . And second from
top dps agent said they know nothing about it and it’s ilegal . And that guy said one of his friends had m35 and asked us if it would affect him . Lol he was told yes . It seems to be a shell game . The govenor is our best hope . I have small hope today . A friend I contacted I asked if he knew anyone close to govenor to ask him to help . And he also has multiple military vehicles himself . And he said funny u asked . He was gonna see govenors best friend today . So I sent a few pics of the revoke letters and asked him to try and get info to govenor . Cross ya fingers

undysworld

I have started a list of affected customers . I right down name and contact numbers for them . But it seems hard to locate owners . I have around 20 at moment . Most have got their letters from omv already. Others are still waiting to see if they get hit .
Owners may be reluctant to speak up, until they are effected directly. They won't want to bring attention to themselves. You may consider offering to keep those owners' name/info confidential, to be used only for communicating info amongst your owners group.

But don't forget, people don't have to own a milveh in order to be willing to support your efforts. Consider this...

You guys are "car guys", right? Your car of choice may be a deuce, instead of a hot-rod or a Model-T, and your ride may be o/d green, instead of metal-flake. But a car guy is a car guy - you're into unusual vehicles.

The same "issue" that confronts your vehicle (can't prove it met FMVSS) also applies to many of their vehicles. It's not too difficult to help others to understand the danger.

It's car-show season. If you wrote up a concise flier that explained the issue, and all of your 20 owners helped, you guys could be talking to THOUSANDS of other car guys every weekend and handing out those fliers. Offer those car guys the chance to sign up for an email update by giving you their email address.

Will they all agree to help you? - no. But many will, and they'll talk to their friends, etc...

When we did this in Wis., we got over 1000 people, statewide, to register their support for a bill we were pushing.

Al Capone

I’ve talked to other peoppe at last two car shows . MoSt people don’t care till it affects them . This is what I been runing into . They don’t agree with this at all but that’s about it . I try to get everyone to call the senators office but only a few have .and yes other owners of mil vehicles that are not affected yet are laying low .

Al Capone

Seems other postings are gone . Anyway anyone in la who owns a military vehicle call senator hewetts office asap and tell them this is not right . I heard she has spoken to st Germain the commisionor but no information was given on what was said . Jill is hewetts aid . Very nice .hewett is on the vehicle commision . 985-646-6490 don’t delay call and keep calling till you get someone .

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is very likely that they were only concerned with HMMWV in the beginning. The hornets nest will only take so much poking before the swarm emerges.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems other postings are gone . Anyway anyone in la who owns a military vehicle call senator hewetts office asap and tell them this is not right . I heard she has spoken to st Germain the commisionor but no information was given on what was said . Jill is hewetts aid . Very nice .hewett is on the vehicle commision . 985-646-6490 don’t delay call and keep calling till you get someone .
Current thread still working.
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...gistering-New-Vehicles-as-Off-Road&highlight=

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks