• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1977 M886 Draglink and PS Questions

KamikazeKunze

Hey all,
The infection is spreading.....in addition to my recent M1010 acquisition my uncle just scored a 1977 M886!

Question one? Does anyone know the replacement part number for the stock draglink? His has a huge amount of play at the pitman arm mount.
I don’t know Dodge to well, but I can’t seem to pin down if I should be looking for a W300 or D300?

Also, if we want to convert this to Powersteering what rotation of pump? Or better yet a part number? And will this necessitate a different draglink and pitman arm?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I not a dodge guy but this is the CUCV forum and you won't get a lot of info on a dodge .
Maybe a moderator will move it for you , there is a forum for the M880's . On the top right side of the toolbar there is a option "to search this forum " and you can search just that forum. The forum you want is ;
[h=2]M880[/h]
The 70's Dodge military truck.

Here are the TM's for your truck ;

TM9-2320-266-10.pdf
TM9-2320-266-10 Operators manual for all variants of the M880 series truck.

TM9-2320-266-20.pdf
TM9-2320-266-20 Technical manual for all variants of the M880 series truck.

TM9-2320-266-24P.pdf
TM9-2320-266-24P Direct support and general support maintenance repair parts and special tool lists for all variants of the M880 series truck.

TM9-2320-266-34.pdf
TM9-2320-266-34 Direct support and general support maintenance manual for all variants of the M880 series truck.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
77 w200 w/3500lb front axle
reverse rotation steering box 1975 to 1977 PS has different pitman arm then manual & the pitman arm for the PS one can not be found new
Mopar # 4026827 on the link arm
I get them from militarysurplusparts on eBay.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, it seams the pitman arm is going to be like finding a golden Wonka ticket.......anyone ever use an electric assist setup?
Need to find a used steering box from a 4x4 Ramcharger, W100, W200 W300 or W400. There is also a way to hack a pitman arm from a manual box onto the PS box but I wouldn't recommend going that route.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
..........There is also a way to hack a pitman arm from a manual box onto the PS box but I wouldn't recommend going that route.
This thread...
Done it 4 times now; never had an issue. Or a bad feeling, that it would be the weak link in the chain...
But that's me. As they say: your mileage may vary...

meg3068

just did this on a 77 886 that i picked up. found one original ps pitman arm and got a laugh when it got to me it was painted gold. they picked the right color. pitman cost more than new steering box but worth every penny.

michigandon

You can also retrofit the steering out of an ‘80s truck with the pitman arm that rotates horizontally instead of vertically. Ours was set up that way when we tok delivery of it.

jbingvtx

I did the swap that michigandon mentions, took the PS from an '85 Ramcharger. With this technique you have to take everything from the steering wheel to the steering box. It also requires the swap to the later dash wiring harness and a little adjustment to the bulkhead plug but my 886 has PS and tilt wheel.

michigandon

I did the swap that michigandon mentions, took the PS from an '85 Ramcharger. With this technique you have to take everything from the steering wheel to the steering box. It also requires the swap to the later dash wiring harness and a little adjustment to the bulkhead plug but my 886 has PS and tilt wheel.
No you don't.

Ours still has the original steering column.

snowtrac nome

I would go to a wrecking yard and get the steering box with a pitman arm, they were the same pn right up to early 94 I have a late 70's pitman arm on my 89 right now its what I could find in a junk pile around here when the splines wore out. If I wasn't the only one with a dodge truck still on the road I would send you one from my hoard, been collecting them as they die around here, because every time I need something it has to be ordered in equating to down time.

snowtrac nome

should add an alibi that the newer boxes may be variable ratio where as the older ones will be fixed ratio but mounting points are the same you will also need the ps mounting plate to attach the box to the frame.

brushhippie

I swapped the power box and pump from my 74 into the 77 no problem...around here if you need parts that means you are about to own another parts vehicle....and at some point you will actually have to use one of them for parts....wish I could find one! or three! lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks