• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-531a

AfghanVeteran2010

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Added another military generator to my collection, A MEP-531a. I have been reading around on this site about them and seem to only dug up that these are sensitive to too much oil in crank case. It wont be here till the 4th of April. Does anyone have any experience with these? I have only seen this set once while doing KP detail in the field. I have downloaded all the TM's and student handout for this set.

s-l1600 (3).jpgs-l1600 (4).jpgs-l1600 (2).jpgs-l1600 (1).jpgs-l1600 (5).jpgs-l1600 (6).jpgs-l1600 (7).jpgs-l1600.jpg

Guyfang

Staff member
Oh yes. Just a tad too much oil, and you need to leave the county. On the whole, they run good. The plastic fuel line tends to need changing when it's too long outside in the sun. Resist the urge to replace them with hose that is not clear plastic. The one complaint I have with the set is that getting the fuel to the IP is sometimes a problem, because of the angle of the hose. Little bubbles build up in the hose, and the engine runs rough. The CECOM fix is to put a wire tie on it to "adjust" the angle. Post a good picture of the right side of the set when you get it.

robson1015

I love mine. Stole it for $4oo with 2 hours on it. The seller said he thought it needed a tune up because it ran so rough. Pulled about 3 syringe (Turkey baster) full of oil out of the crankcase and it runs smooth. With too much oil it will smoke and surge and shake.

robson1015

.845 guart or .8 liter (spec sheet on the yanmar L48ae) - Mine was filled to the bottom of the fill cap, I could see oil below the cap. That was too much and I had to remove a few ounces.

I replaced the brittle clear lines with gates fuel hoses.

Last edited:

RIrvin

Nice set. I have two that are also "new". You might check last part of TM that shows how to fabricate an extended auxiliary fuel supply for this generator since only runs about 3 to 4 hours on set tank supply.

rustystud

I love my little MEP-531 . The only problem I've found so far is parts. I need new brushes and brush holders and you just cannot find them. I've called all over including "Green Mountain" , nothing. I even called the factory. They don't sell to civilians but they do have a retailer in Florida. The problem is this retailer wanted over $400.00 for 4 brushes and brush holders !!!!!
So if anyone has a source for them at a "lower" price then $400.00 let me know.

rustystud

Oh yes. Just a tad too much oil, and you need to leave the county. On the whole, they run good. The plastic fuel line tends to need changing when it's too long outside in the sun. Resist the urge to replace them with hose that is not clear plastic. The one complaint I have with the set is that getting the fuel to the IP is sometimes a problem, because of the angle of the hose. Little bubbles build up in the hose, and the engine runs rough. The CECOM fix is to put a wire tie on it to "adjust" the angle. Post a good picture of the right side of the set when you get it.
Hey Guy. I remember you talking about that after I cut this wire tie off !
By the way I sent you a PM. Is your "in" box full ?

Guyfang

Staff member
Will look Rusty. Thought I dumped a bunch of stuff out.

Thats why I never went to non clear hose on this one gen set. It's a pita to get the air out of the hoses sometimes, and if you can see the bubbles, you know what the deal is. One of our Brits spent days trouble shooting one, for "rough running". He about compleatly disassembled the engine. He checked everything he could think of. It still ran rough. I went over and explained the problem of the hose from the filter/water separator to the IP being a tad too high, and the "fix". He about killed me! Most of the Brits that worked for us were super good mechs. Incredible education. Almost over educated, for the job. Sometimes the simple problems were hard for them, as they figured that the easy answers had already been checked. I loved to brain storm with them. And most had been down range many times, so had good knowage of our gear.

Guyfang

Staff member

Part numbers for the brushes:640-00000, or, another:BP5255BR00SP
BALDOR ELECTRIC COMPANY
Aereo Base Group
14.00 bucks

part number for the brush holder cap:
BP4539SP
2.50 Bucks

BALDOR ELECTRIC COMPANY
Aereo Base Group

Part number for the brush holder:31666
DEWEY ELECTRONICS CORPORATION

I also found a company, Generac, that had the brush and cap listed, so they probably have the holder also. Baldor and Aereo both listed having the cap and brush. I dont know what company you called, so if did not call these two company's, Give it a try. I replaced the brushes several times, but not the holders. But they did not look hard.

rustystud

Part numbers for the brushes:640-00000, or, another:BP5255BR00SP
BALDOR ELECTRIC COMPANY
Aereo Base Group
14.00 bucks

part number for the brush holder cap:
BP4539SP
2.50 Bucks

BALDOR ELECTRIC COMPANY
Aereo Base Group

Part number for the brush holder:31666
DEWEY ELECTRONICS CORPORATION

I also found a company, Generac, that had the brush and cap listed, so they probably have the holder also. Baldor and Aereo both listed having the cap and brush. I dont know what company you called, so if did not call these two company's, Give it a try. I replaced the brushes several times, but not the holders. But they did not look hard.
Thanks Guy ! So what number does Generac list these parts under ? I did call "Dewey" and like I mentioned they only sell to the military. I'll give "Baldor" a call in the morning and see if they can help me.

Guyfang

Staff member
Rusty,,
The part numbers that start with BP are Baldor numbers. I could not find one for the holder, but call and ask them. If they have the cap and brush, they have to have the holder.

Genric used the baldor numbers.

AfghanVeteran2010

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Received the generator today. Date of MFD is 12-14, very clean unit. Even came with oil and diesel and what looks like new near new wet type air filter. Starts really easy and produces power on meter. Hz meter hang around 63 kinda high but once its under a good load I'm sure that will go down to 60 or close enough. Hopeful the right picture I took will suffice for Guyfang, If not let me know.

Thanks for all the input everyone. Hopefully we can get a brush, brush holders and brush holder cap. Wonder if Dewey would sell to a military member? Ill see if I can order them.

20180403_135908.jpg20180403_140143.jpg20180403_140149.jpg20180403_140156.jpg20180403_140200.jpg

Guyfang

Staff member
Received the generator today. Date of MFD is 12-14, very clean unit. Even came with oil and diesel and what looks like new near new wet type air filter. Starts really easy and produces power on meter. Hz meter hang around 63 kinda high but once its under a good load I'm sure that will go down to 60 or close enough. Hopeful the right picture I took will suffice for Guyfang, If not let me know.

Thanks for all the input everyone. Hopefully we can get a brush, brush holders and brush holder cap. Wonder if Dewey would sell to a military member? Ill see if I can order them.

View attachment 724121View attachment 724122View attachment 724123View attachment 724124View attachment 724125
DUDE!

This is the absolute perfect picture!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Click on the second picture, to enlarge it. See the wire tie that holds and pulls down the fuel hose toward the Injector pump? This is exactly how it should be! That way, the air bubbles go to the highest point, and you can see them. THEN, you can purge them out of the line, by cracking the bolt/screw, on the filter housing, to the right of the fuel selector handle. There are two bolt/screws. One is before the filter purging, the other is for the after filter purging.

And you have a mar/scratch on the fuel hose, or air bubbles in the hose. Doesn't look like a big deal. BUT, when the set runs, the bubbles get pulled almost completely down into the IP, but not the whole way. Engine runs like crap. People pulled out their hair by the handfuls trying to figure this out. This is The FIX.

Take your time, purge it at least 2 or 3 times.

AfghanVeteran2010

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More pictures.
20180404_100640.jpg20180404_100646.jpg20180404_100653.jpg20180404_100656.jpg20180404_100705.jpg

So far I cannot find anything broken or not working as intended. I only checked the Before on PMCS was a little early to fire it up also want to, check the Head Nut torque and valve clearances. since I have no idea if the military do this or not. Both are due at 20hrs, as well as a fresh oil and oil filter. Going to wait on OIL+Filter and a order a better torque wrench then Harbor Fright.

And for some more info for anyone with a unit below 20 hrs the TM states:
INITIAL ADJUSTMENTS, BEFORE USE AND SELF-TEST
The diesel engine must be broken in, avoiding heavy loads (no greater than 75%), for a period of at least twenty(20) hours to ensure proper operation of the generator set. After the initial break-in period, intake and exhaust valve clearances must be checked and adjusted, the head nuts torque must be checked, and engine lubricating oil changed. Contact field maintenance.

Going to Print off the beast of a TM, 716 pages my laser printer can double side print so 358 pages is what I'm going to end up using. Ya its a lot of pages to print but I prefer having a printed TM compared to a digital while working on them. I have used page protectors for my other TMs, not really to best thing in my opinion. Has anyone tried to laminate their TM or similar manuals? cost about the same for sleeves.

Last edited:

rustystud

Rusty,,
The part numbers that start with BP are Baldor numbers. I could not find one for the holder, but call and ask them. If they have the cap and brush, they have to have the holder.

Genric used the baldor numbers.
Thanks Guy. By the way, do you happen to have "Baldor's " phone number ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks