• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

VPW Stainless Steel Fuel Tank for M37

ez8

(This is a copy of my post on G741, but I figured I'd post here as well in case any of the readership doesn't overlap)

Hello everyone, it's good to be with you again.

Not knowing how Mr. Trump's steel and aluminum tariffs were going to affect steel prices I was in a hurry to order the stainless tank from VPW. I ordered on 3/19 and it arrived by 3/22. Shipping was only $45 via UPS from Iowa to Indiana. Not too shabby considering the size and weight of the thing. It arrived well packaged in a cardboard box.

Total Project cost:
VPW Stainless Steel Tank: $695.00
VPW Sending Unit gasket: $5.00
VPW Shipping: $45.00
Fuel Sending Unit: $42.00 (including shipping from E-bay)
Misc hose, fittings, filters, etc.: $30.00
Grand Total: $817.00

This is the new tank compared to the original tank. You can see that's it's just slightly wider than old tank, which makes installing the straps a fun experience. However, the sending unit and pickup holes, and the vent and fill necks are all in the right place. No modification necessary. The tank comes with screws for the filler and sender as well as a plug for the bottom and an adapter for the vent line (which I didn't use).
https://imgur.com/FKfABg0
https://imgur.com/mZBpTiE

The vent line is a threaded as in the original tank. I set the original vent tube down somewhere so I'd remember where it was, but I lost it so I made due with a barbed air hookup that would fit the 1/2" flex hose that mates to the filler's vent tube.
https://imgur.com/D5Qv7jI

The tank is heavy, but I was able to get it into position by myself. Make sure you have something handy to prop the tank up while you fiddle with the straps.

As far as the pickup goes, I reused my old pickup and ran a piece of steel tubing down into the tank. I put a 90 degree bend in it at 8" (the depth of the tank) and called it good. I suppose you could dangle a piece of fuel hose down into the tank too, but I made do with the materials on hand.

I was able to reuse my old fuel lines as they weren't in bad condition. I put two filters in the line, though - one just after the tank and one just before the fuel pump. That should catch most of whatever might be lurking in the line. If not, I need to take my carb apart anyway and that may provide the impetus I need to get the job done.

Anyway, the whole project took me a day all in. Most of that time was running to the parts store and getting what I needed. All in all I rate this tank as pretty good. I like that I didn't have to modify anything to get it in place.

Hank Dodge

That looks like a nice unit. Does it add any more fuel capacity? How about the drain port on the bottom rear of the original tank, does the VPW unit still have that port?
My tank is starting to show some rust issues, and a few of the screws around the sending unit have rusted in place and sheared off.

ez8

When I talked to VPW they said that it was slightly less capacity than the original tank, but you wouldn't know it by looking at it.
It does have the port on the bottom rear of the tank. VPW includes a plug with the kit for that hole.

Hank Dodge

Thanks for the quick reply!
It sure looks like a bigger tank in your picture. Guess it's easier to build a tank with square corners. The original retaining straps still worked alright with that?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks