• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member from NY.

Lukes_deuce

Welcome from downstate! A deuce is a great truck to tinker with and enjoy. They are mechanically simple and always put a smile on your face.

As far as registration, make sure you have some type of paper work when you purchase a truck, such as a title or transferable registration. Also bring a printed picture or rubbing of the VIN number (depending on if its a plate or engraved) since it will be less than a 17 number, the DMV will want proof of the VIN. You will have to creative with the type of vehicle your register it as. I registered mine as an AM Jeep, which ended up being a "pickup" on the registration. Try and find a good teller at the DMV and work with them. There have been lots of issues lately with other states giving titles and renewing registrations, while NY is not involved, its better to make two trips to the DMV then it is to fight with them. Most DMV folk do not run into something like a deuce and if its not clearly in the computer, it can become a problem. I dont want to make it sound difficult but just to make you aware. I had to go 3 times to register my 5 ton. As you probably know already, NY is a pain in the butt with paper work....

Otherwise good luck with your search! There are plenty out there.

Pkf70

Thanks Lukes_duece. I've looked at a few dueces, and the owners either didn't have Transferable Registration, or Titles or said they couldn't find them. Most have been converted to farm trucks with grain/corn boxes, or potato/onion boxes mounted on them. One farmer still had the original military flat bed with the sides, and canvas cover using it as a storage area. So I think I'm buying one that has a transferable reg. or title lol. One less headache I hope?

CHIEFSONN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site Pkf70,sounds like you will have a some good help with your choice of military vehicle or vehicles! I'm also a former New Yorker that now settled in South Carolina. for me when I registered my 1953 REO m35a2 Deuce I had a title and had no problem and classified it a a utility truck and put historic plates on her. good luck with your search and this hobby.

Lukes_deuce

Thanks Lukes_duece. I've looked at a few dueces, and the owners either didn't have Transferable Registration, or Titles or said they couldn't find them. Most have been converted to farm trucks with grain/corn boxes, or potato/onion boxes mounted on them. One farmer still had the original military flat bed with the sides, and canvas cover using it as a storage area. So I think I'm buying one that has a transferable reg. or title lol. One less headache I hope?
As much as the farm trucks are easier to buy and usually cheaper, they can be a big headache unless you want it only for farm use. Getting one of these older or any military truck to pass a DMV title inspection will be very hard and not worth the hassle in my opinion. Trying to get a military trailer through the home made trailer process is a disaster.

One thing to consider, some states do not offer titles or registrations for older vehicles, such as CT and New Hampshire. So, I have passed on nice trucks in certain states to avoid the title hassle. From my experience, NY, NJ, MD, & PA offer titles for older vehicles. Every state is different, so you can look into that as well.

art

Go see John Tennis he is out side of Albany, a great person and he has a lot of trucks to choose from.
http://www.jatonkam35s.com/
he is on steel Soldiers
also come down to the Nj Sussex show this month about 150 MILITARY Vehicles and a lot of vendors

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recommend you go see Jatonka , he would give you all the in's and out's on a DEUCE , save you some grief maybe . Take one for a ride see if it suits your needs

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had very few problems registering my MV's at the DMV's in WNY . Results my vary as they say . Just titled my latest ride, M1031 , no problems , but it has a standard VIN . Just make sure you have good ownership documents with whatever you buy. Something else to consider is how you register your MV, HX or Commercial plates . In NYS 25 years or older you can register HX . There are also Farm plates , but that is a whole other issue with it's own requirements . Hope this helps some , good hunting , Bob k

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks