• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Convert M817 PTO to air actuated?

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm actually leaning more towards the cable as I research. McMaster has a knob operated push/pull cable in 10 or 15' for 27 or 29 dollars. Then its just a matter of a a bracket and cable end. Ok, you sold me! I'm going to measure tonight and order up some parts. Will post pictures.
I have cable on my boomtruck and it works fine. It's the easiest. Use the shortest cable possible and still get long bends. Do you have the bracket for mounting the cable to the PTO? Picture shows one but on a different PTO than yours. It has 2 U bolts for holding the end.

While the 5 ton 939 has a frame problem for an air actuator on the PTO, the M35A3 has room. They cost about 150. Since it's all contained, I may go that route myself on the A3.

Attachments

Last edited:

TurboJoe

I'll just make up a bracket to go to the two nearest fasteners. I may need to use the stock long linkage if I can't get onto the same plane, or close enough to the actuator shaft.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your working with two linear movements and 1/2" is not a lot of extra to work with, mine requires about 3". How much force does it take to shift it??

162tcat

Your working with two linear movements and 1/2" is not a lot of extra to work with, mine requires about 3". How much force does it take to shift it??
About 20 pounds to shift. In and our are about the same. I think I'll keep the linkage from the pto to the frame and tie in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TurboJoe

I was able to get the cable temporarily hooked up, and with out the other end mounted I was not able to engage the PTO. It was to hard to pull. I am going to try to make a plate so I can get some leverage against the cable, but it may not be the best solution.

TurboJoe

Ok, its been awhile but I finally finished a proof of concept. Separating the PTO from the valve works so much better than the stock way. I used a bigger push/pull cable, some metal brackets, a few drilled and tapped holes and it works.

I'll have pictures at some point but the bugs were killing me out there tonight.

I am going to draw up the parts in 3d and actually have some brackets machined nicely to make it actually last now that my proof of concept works.

TurboJoe

Did you ever get this done? Looking to do the same with mine and would love some pics!
Yeah and it works great. I haven't got around to making a real bracket yet, but even the temporary one I made works great.
Solved the whole problem. I'll try to get pics tonight if I get home before dark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks