• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

newer 803A smokes and bogs down with load ... start with injectors?

BA in CO

Advice on alternate sources for parts? I can find gaskets but nothing yet for rocker arm, push rod etc.
local Onan parts dealer wants a serial number that is one letter and 4 or 5 numbers? Sorry, silly questions but the easier i can make this for my mechanic the better off I’ll be ... thanks.

Ray70

Mayi Diesel ( Sales@MayiDiesel.com ) also on ebay has pushrods for about $18, they are also pretty easy to straighten yourself, if not mangled too bad. You can also ask them about a rocker arm, she told me they can get just about anything for those motors.
After reassembly, pay heed to the warnings in the manual about letting the motor sit ( before cranking ) after you tighten down the rocker arms. The lifters will expand out and if you crank before they collapse down you'll bend the pushrod again! ( ask how I know.... )

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy

Do you have all the tech manuals?
TM____24P
NSN 2805-01-435-3890 ONAN ROCKER ARM ASSY Part 186-6094

BA in CO

Long term follow up ... reminder 803 smoking and choking down at 50% load ... fuel tank dirty so cleaned and replaced tank, filters, injectors tested ok ... turned out to have broken rocker arm, bent push rod, popped hole in valve cover ... took a long time for the machine shop to work over the head (grind valves, replace guides, reface head)... HUGE thanks to Mayi Diesel for helping get all the parts needed. My mechanic got it all back together, manuals were very helpful even for a pro ... initial load test and the machine runs smooth. Smokes a little at 80% but not much, only see it against dark background ... I only got to 80 % load, need to add some more heater elements to my “load bank”

Revised ... when I read the gauge correctly hertz drop only 1.5 so within 3%. So far so good!

on on another note ... I also tested my 804, using just 2 legs for 120/208 ... it stays really smooth throughout load test. Well pump is the only motor I need and it’s specs are good down to 190v so well guy tells me it should be good ...

Many thanks to this Forum for your suggestions and support!
Al

Last edited:

USAMilRet

Long term follow up ... reminder 803 smoking and choking down at 50% load ... fuel tank dirty so cleaned and replaced tank, filters, injectors tested ok ... turned out to have broken rocker arm, bent push rod, popped hole in valve cover ... took a long time for the machine shop to work over the head (grind valves, replace guides, reface head)... HUGE thanks to Mayi Diesel for helping get all the parts needed. My mechanic got it all back together, manuals were very helpful even for a pro ... initial load test and the machine runs smooth. Smokes a little at 80% but not much, only see it against dark background ... I only got to 80 % load, need to add some more heater elements to my “load bank”

Revised ... when I read the gauge correctly hertz drop only 1.5 so within 3%. So far so good!

on on another note ... I also tested my 804, using just 2 legs for 120/208 ... it stays really smooth throughout load test. Well pump is the only motor I need and it’s specs are good down to 190v so well guy tells me it should be good ...

Many thanks to this Forum for your suggestions and support!
Al
Wow....what are the odds. BTW was it the number 3 intake? I just overed lasr week that I have the same issue.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks