• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Progress on '71 , now on the engine- how bad is too bad?

dougimes

Just about done with the body restoration, ill post some pictures soon.

Survey of engine- some pitting on cylinder of otherwise good block.

how bad is too bad? what happens if you run something like this?

The other picture- the Mutt back on all fours for the first time in 2 years.

Attachments

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
"how bad is too bad? what happens if you run something like this?"

It OK
how often do you want to change piston rings?
Put Her together andf drive it. Then fix some more.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Have your machine shop sleeve just that hole back to standard.
Agreed...I had to sleeve two cylinders on the K18-C because another block was just not readily available. Works like a charm and not all that expensive. (I've forgotten the actual cost...sorry).

dougimes

great advise, Sleeve sounds good, I was just trying to envision what happens to pitting over time, does each power stroke work the hole bigger, would it last 10,000? 2000? I dont have much direct experience here

nattieleather

Depending on how deep the pitting is if it's light you might be able to just hone the walls and be good. A good machine shop should be able to tell you what you can get done and for how much, but the fix is not bad.

dougimes

225.jpg

I have a question for the forum, got the engine back together, did new pistons, rings, bearings, seals. new oil pump. Didn't redo the head, It was fine before, should still be fine.

my question is about how oil gets to rocker arms. there are 2 tubes, the one going to number 4 flows oil nicely. It appears to be carried on the rocker shaft by the thing springs that spin. The other doesnt appear to flow oil at all, what is it for?

dougimes

took a closer look and answered my own question. The tube at the end feeds oil to the rocker shaft, the tube in the middle I think is the path for oil back to the pan. Anyone looking at the oil flow from these tubes to the rocker shaft, remember the hole in the rocker shaft needs to line up with the tube.

I didn't realize this on a previous project.

oil flow looks fine.

dougimes

061.jpgIMG_1980.jpg

Some before and after fun, I started on this project 2 years ago. The body was un-cut, but rusted badly and beat to ****. About 20 % of the sheet metal is new. Welding, patches in 19 different spots.

Got paint at the convention and some good weather here in SC to splash it on.

dougimes

Well gang, its a wrap. Restoration completed on 6 Nov 2018. Maiden run of about 25 miles to an airfield north of us.

my starting point was an un-cut 1971 A2. Pretty badly rusted out below, banged up above. Otherwise pretty complete. Engine needed pistons, rings, crank bearings.

I picked markings from 4 squadron, 2nd Cav, unit 6, stationed in Bavaria in 1974.

008.jpg

If you'd like to see a bunch of before after shots, check out a website I keep at:

http://wartimetrucks.com

Click on the tab that says m151 before and after.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks