• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

multi fuel runners ?

sweetk30

to those that have muti fuel engins what are you doing when you run diffrent fuels in the tank?

do you run used oils threw filters to clean it up first. used oil/atf/cooking oil/others.

let me know the real scoop?

i have looked back on lots of old threads and want 99% correct info before i burn up my truck when i get one soon....... 8)

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've never run WMO or WVO or ATF. Only diesel and a mix of diesel and gas...dieselgas! The only issue i've seen is if I get too much gas in the mix, it hunts at idle and is a bit harder to start when warm. It feels like it runs the same, whatever the mix is. Filters look good after 5k miles.

beaubeau

I have bee around Multifuals for 40 years, and the worst running Multi was with Gas in it! I have run and still do , WMO, mostly my own or I know where it comes from. Motor oil is good for most Diesels. I try to put at 1 qt. in each tank of fuel in my 2006 Duramax. This New diesel is not Great. I ran WMO in my Cat3406, 1gal per tank and I actuall go more MPG when I added motor oil. I have run (0wt oil, 10 wt Hydrolic oil and small amounts of old gas in my Deuce, and it runs great, and will start on its own in 10% weather. Just keep it CLEAN!! Anything that goes through the fuel filter, will go through the Fuel system!! Good luck, Phil

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have run gasoline mixed with diesel in our trucks at times. A bit of gasoline mixed in with the diesel in the old D8 Cat was a good way to help it wake up on cold mornings. As was mentioned by others, it is very important to keep a reliable system lube additive in the tank, especially when gasoline mix is used. We used to call it "diesel oil" but it sure isn't oil any more! Most of the lubrication qualities of it are gone in today's fuel. We use new engine oil as mentioned by another person, but most of the time we use Lucas additive to keep the system lubricated. We have found that the Lucas diesel additive put in a gas engine that wants to foul the plugs will keep it running clean. My basic point is, no matter what you do, always be sure what is going into the tank is very well filtered and clean, and keep additives in to lubricate pump and injector parts.
I have never tried the cooling oil as a fuel. Supplies are too limited here to be worth it. Bjorn has written good articles about his work and experiences with it. They will provide good references for you. My personal take on it is all of the work to run it exclusively just isn't worth it to me.
Regards Marti

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My apologies for the spelling in the last paragraph of my previous message. It should read "cooking oil", not "cooling oil". I missed it on a proof read, and the spell checker did not catch it because cooling is a word.
Thanks Marti

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks