• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

luverne brush guard dimension ?

whistlepig

lvn3.jpgI'm fabbing a luverne style brush guard and was wondering if someone knew dimension A and what the approximate radius of bend B is ? I can't find any info online and don't have access to measure one in person. Thanks for any help .

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi whistlepig, I happen to have one in the backyard. The A dimension is 13-9/16". The curved portions all appear to have the same radius, and are a good match to the rim of a quart-sized paint mixing cup, with 4-3/8" diameter. The guard is made from 2 x 3/8" flat bar. Here are some additional pics, including some that show the size of the expanded metal. Hope they help you - or somebody in the future.

How about posting a pic when you get it done. Also, how are you going to bend the flat-bar?

13.5625 height.jpg Qt paint cup.jpg 4.375 diameter.jpg Left side horizontal dims.jpg Left main upright location.jpg

Right side horizontal dims.jpg Right side vertical dims.jpg expanded metal horiz.jpg expanded metal vert.jpg

cwc

Last edited:

whistlepig

CWC ,You are awesome! Thanks for taking time to help. Will post pics when complete. May make a die and bend with a press or heat and bend in a jig ,probably play with both methods.

Last edited:

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good! How did you make the bends?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattNC

So I started building my own brush guard off dimensions shown on this thread. I did the bends with a propane forge and a easy jig I made with angle iron and a 4” round piece of steel. I just have it tack welded for now. The mount I made from 3” tube cutting it open into a bracket. I’ll post progress as I make it.

58CA0DA8-BAA3-4D03-BFCD-D8A9EA5E8A84.jpg204CBE1C-2394-431B-AD6B-6C13429BD62D.jpg22E858C8-7A60-4485-8076-F1A42D0E6982.jpg

Attachments

MattNC

I can take some measurements in the final height. It depends on the bumper you have. I did some customizing as well to get it the way I wanted. I used 3/8 thick bar as described here and the uprights I used 2” square 3/16 thickness. The brackets were 3” square tube I cut a side off of. I ordered 3/16 thickness for that and they delivered 1/8. Should be fine but I may go back and remake them someday with the heavier material. I used 1/2” tractor pins for the top connections and 1/2” grade 8 bolts for the bottom with washers as spacers and to allow it to pivot easily. I’ll take pics tonight.

MattNC

So I bought 30’ of flat bar and have maybe 5’ left as I built it. The uprights were about 22” each. I used 1.5’ of 3” tube for the brackets. I bought but didn’t use expanded plate for screen. I decided not to add it. Here’s some final pics.

i might decide to redo the brackets slightly thicker someday as they are 1/8” steel (I ordered 3/16 or 1/4 but they delivered 1/8). Otherwise I’m happy and it doesn’t rattle.

Attachments

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I bought 30’ of flat bar and have maybe 5’ left as I built it. The uprights were about 22” each. I used 1.5’ of 3” tube for the brackets. I bought but didn’t use expanded plate for screen. I decided not to add it. Here’s some final pics.

i might decide to redo the brackets slightly thicker someday as they are 1/8” steel (I ordered 3/16 or 1/4 but they delivered 1/8). Otherwise I’m happy and it doesn’t rattle.
What radius did you use at the corners?

Super nice looking unit!

MattNC

Thanks. I bent it around a 4” in diameter steel round, so a 2” radius. Couldn’t get any shop to respond to my request to bend it so I went with using a little propane forge I have and this jig I made with angle iron, rebar welded on to help keep it from rolling, and a 4” off cut borrowed from a neighbor and clamped on. I just heated it, bent it which once red hot was easy, and then checked it with a square. I think an oxy torch with a rosebud tip would work well. Just heat a 4” section so the rest stays straight

. 1A62E730-5842-4751-AEB4-4CD55E78CE16.jpg

TOM R

Can someone give me the correct hole locations on th bottom of the uprights from an original

How far is center of the bottom mount hole from bottom and how far back from the face

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks