• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LOUISIANA PROPOSED NEW LAW : HB 549 Provides for Military Surplus Motor Vehicles

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Senator Hewitt presented the "engrossed" (original bill with amendments incorporated) bill to the House Transportation Committee today, and responded to comments and questions from the Representatives. The bill was "reported favorably" with a 12-0 vote out of the Committee. It should reach the House floor around Friday or next week, but Sen Hewitt said it could be even later. Ryan, Juan and I were present to watch Sen Hewitt do her stuff.

It's still not to late to email your Representative for the vote on the House floor.

If there are no amendments or objections on the House floor and it passes the House floor vote, the next step would be whats called the "enrolled bill" sent up for the Governor's signature.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bill is scheduled for passage on the House Floor on May 16. After that, it goes for Governor signature.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure. The current status says:

https://legis.la.gov/legis/BillInfo.aspx?s=18RS&b=SB549&sbi=y

Read by title, returned to the calendar.

According to the rules, I found this definition:

Rule 10.17. Returning to the calendar, subject to call; calling from calendar
A. A legislative instrument may be returned to the calendar, subject to call, upon motion by the member authoring the instrument, or the member handling the instrument if it originated in the House, or another member authorized by the author of a Senate instrument, or the member handling a House instrument, without objection. When a legislative instrument is so voluntarily returned to the calendar, it may be called from the calendar at any time the Senate is in that order.
B. A legislative instrument shall be returned to the calendar, subject to call, when ordered by a majority of the members present and voting. When a legislative instrument is ordered returned to the calendar, subject to call, it may be called from the calendar only upon a favorable vote of a majority of the members present and voting.
C. Only a member authoring the instrument, or the member handling the instrument if it originated in the House, or another member authorized by the author of a Senate instrument, or the member handling a House instrument may move to call it from the Subject to Call Calendar for further action or consideration.
SR 27 of 1992 RS.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SB549 Passed House with Amendments

Well, I refreshed the screen and saw this:

05/16
SReceived from the House with amendments.
05/16
HRead third time by title, amended, roll called on final passage, yeas 74, nays 9. Finally passed, ordered to the Senate.
05/16HCalled from the calendar.

It appears the attached amendment came out of the house and needs Senate Approval now. If I am reading correctly the interstate restriction and crossing highways has been removed.

Attachments

Last edited:

Al Capone

Senator hewett sent me a message this morning saying good news the bill passed the house.And there was a few senators that wanted the 65mph and interstate restriction and goofy traffic crossing rule removed . She agreed to amend the bill and remove these mainly due to omv not being able to produce and proof they would loose funding for hwys by allowing them on interstate . Y’all be sure to remember all of senator hewetts hard work when it comes voting time if your in her district . She sure went out of her way and spent lot of her time helping a small group of citizens during a time when she was real busy with more important things .

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there any idea of how long it will take for the governor to sign this and for it to actually go into affect?
I would think it will be passed in the next few days before the next fiscal special session is called. Implementation target date I believe is Jan 2019 so they can set the rules and the plate needs to be designed and produced.

frodobaggins

Now I will buy her lunch.

Senator hewett sent me a message this morning saying good news the bill passed the house.And there was a few senators that wanted the 65mph and interstate restriction and goofy traffic crossing rule removed . She agreed to amend the bill and remove these mainly due to omv not being able to produce and proof they would loose funding for hwys by allowing them on interstate . Y’all be sure to remember all of senator hewetts hard work when it comes voting time if your in her district . She sure went out of her way and spent lot of her time helping a small group of citizens during a time when she was real busy with more important things .

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remained silent when I read this part in the early posts to this thread.

For some background:
I am the OP of the Texas FMV LAWS Thread. I have over the years become VERY familiar with BOTH the Texas jusrisdictional motor vehicle laws AND the Federal Government's purview over our National Transportation System. There IS a definite separation of STATE and FEDERAL responsibilities.
I also currently serve as an Advisory Member of the Ports-To-Plains Coalition's Board of Directors and in April 2018 traveled to Washington, D.C. to lobby for the continued upgrade of the highways from Laredo, Texas to the Canadian Border. This includes the southern segment of the Ports-To-Plains Corridor extending from Laredo, Texas to Denver, Colorado which will ultimately be Interstate Highway 27. (Presently I-27 is just a short stub off or I-40 from Amarillo, Texas to Lubbock, Texas.) Hence, I am well aware of the requirements imposed upon slow moving rural (farm and ranch implement) vehicles on our Interstate Highway System.

Therefore, from the git-go I have questioned why and who in Louisiana might have written the Interstate Highway vehicle access restriction into this document.
The manner by which the US Department of Transportation requires the States to meet minimum (or maximum) vehicle access to the Interstate Highways is by the posting of appropriate MINIMUM SPEED and SPEED LIMIT signage and the necessary ENFORCEMENT of those postings - NOT by the prohibition of any particular CLASS OF VEHICLE!!!

Hence, I am glad that someone within your State with more knowledgeable of those separate STATE and FEDERAL responsibilities and their defined manners of implementation has finally spoken on the matter. Apparently, their knowledge and authority was suitable that ears have listened and good sense prevailed.

Thanks again to everyone who has contributed to the efforts in our neighboring State of Louisiana. This Texan applauds your exhaustive initiative.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This interstate restriction came from omv people NOT senator hewett . Just to clarify this . Al
Roger that.

Seems someone was attempting to exercise control in a way that circumvented the established system of compliance.

ONLY where warranted do the Feds permit the States to restrict slower moving vehicles by posting a Minimum Speed Limit. Otherwise, virtually ALL semi-trucks (etc.) would be prohibited from the Interstate Highway System simply because they cannot maintain "highway speed" where particularly steep grades must be ascended. In those areas, many segments are widened include one or more "Climbing Lane(s)" without requiring maintaining an unrealistic Minimum Speed.

Just a side note:

Though not an Interstate, the stretch of road just west of Holliman AFB between Alamogordo, NM and Las Cruces, NM was posted with MINIMUM SPEED 75 signage along with ABSOLUTELY NO STOPPING (Unless Emergency) UNDER PENALTY OF LAW. And, there was good reason....

While on this highway you're passing under the airspace of the WHITE SANDS MISSILE TEST RANGE. I guess they just don't want anyone loitering there very long.

Traffic we were in was once stopped on at the edge of the Range by Air Force vehicles blocking the road. We sat still for about 30 minutes before being witnesses to a low flying "missile" (possibly terrain-following cruise missile??) crossing about 100 feet above the highway! Soon after it passed we were free to proceed. ("Keep moving. There's nothing to see here.")

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sb549 is passed on both sides!

05/17Senate
Amendments proposed by the House read and concurred in by a vote of 31 yeas and 0 nays.

The bill passed the senate today with the amendments from the house. The bill is "enrolled" and a copy of the exact final language is attached. Next step is Governor's signature.

Again, a big thank you to Sen. Hewitt as her leadership was the key to make this happen!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks