• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LOUISIANA PROPOSED NEW LAW : HB 549 Provides for Military Surplus Motor Vehicles

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How does this effect bobbed 5 tons and deuces?
They do not even understand what that is. All new bill required is basic safety equipment you already have. Windshield, lights, etc. Just use title and register. From what I understand even though bill passed. They will not title or register anything till Jan or when they are ready.

Good to see you back 😁

Al Capone

Talked with Lauren today at omv in Baton Rouge . Asked few questions . Some she did not know yet . They have nothing firm established yet . I mainly called to tell them to make sure some of the lower food chain employees up there stop giving out bad info. Like bill or no bill we will still need the nhtsa decal which we won’t . She said she would have talk with this woman . No one will be able to register or renew a plate until this goes into effect . We are hoping for August 1st but she did not sound to optimistic on that date .

LCPL 4

Just learning about all of this now. I'm good with it but I'm still confused on the plate part. Will we all need to get a special plate or will they accept stencils as before?

Al Capone

We never got a clear answer on if stencil owners were gonna be grand fathered in . But the way it looks everyone will have to re register their military vehicle with new plate . Now a lot of people did not get letters and did not get a flag on their file in state computer . So they might make it under radar and not be affected but I’m sure eventually they will. Mine has a flag right now but registration still valid until tag sticker runs out . But they will have the bill into effect by then . I bought a 4 year tag . Lol. I think that omv will make all owners get the new license plate . But don’t hold me to this . They have not worked out all the details yet .

buttanic

I have an 1967 M 151A1 registered under the stencil number with permanent registration, no expiration date. I have received nothing from DMV regarding this.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is my opinion only. YMMV

I don't think they are interested in pursing this matter any more as the new law clears the legal hurdles in their mind to the whole question. The original revoked vehicles will have a clear path to re register & New Registrations will be allowed in Jan.

For those who have current valid registrations & Titles, I don't think anything will change. There are military vehicles with farm, antique, truck, stencil, public, and just plain ole plates out there. Maybe even other categories such as personalized, commercial, veteran, apportioned, etc. It is just too wide a net to cast. If you have a valid and legal registration & title, have received no letter of revocation then you are "legal" in my humble opinion until informed otherwise.

Anyone trying to do a future stencil is the unknown?

again, YMMV

Al Capone

I think you partially correct Maybe . **** omv don’t even know what they gonna do yet . I talked with Lauren on phone couple weeks ago and she could not answer any questions yet . I think if you have permanent stencils or permanent plates they won’t mess with ya. But others when it comes to renewal time then that might be another story . But all this is just speculation. No real info is given yet from omv . If ya got permanent registration then just roll with it unless you get letter telling ya otherwise .

Al Capone

What does this mean for us that use our trucks commercially, there is wording mentioning limited use
Don’t really know what to tell ya on this subject either . I don’t think anyone / police/ is gonna care about the part of the wording . This might just be another battle/ or issue you will have to work out with top omv employees. I’ll see if I can get some kind of answer

Last edited:

Al Capone

Hi

QUOTE=msitework;2144332]I appreciate it. My local dmv is no help and I just paid top dollar for a m920 and an m870 that I can’t use
Pm me your number and will call ya this evening . And try and answer what I can for ya . Did you buy these vehicles from a la resident or from out of state ? Clear titles or euc forms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

msitework

Man i sure appreciate it. I just bought an m923 with a clear La title and they charged me for the title, plate and all then i got a letter saying I can’t use it. Before I got the letter I bought the M920 and M870 from a guy in Alabama, they were registered but they don’t issue titles on vehicles that old

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Al Capone

The seller of la titled one might have got same letter and that’s why he dumped it . It will be few months at the earliest before they get all this fixed . But latest is january

msitework

Unfortunately, I think your right. I can live with waiting I guess if I know I can use my truck for work. I have a big loan out for a truck and trailer and paying someone else to move my equipment anyway, what makes it worse is I have to pay the $1,500 month insurance even if I can’t use it because it has a lien on it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks