• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LOUISIANA PROPOSED NEW LAW : HB 549 Provides for Military Surplus Motor Vehicles

Al Capone

I don’t believe senator hewett knew anything about this till I brought it up . So we can’t go blaming her for something the omv did . We believe the omv commisionor put this in motion . And bet she regrets it now . And hewett just signed some bull someone else wrote . The heads of omv , hewett and their lawyers is supposed to be there . Funny how they did not let us invite a lawyer . But we got that covered . Lol wish us luck . We are asking that they use the law already on books for vehicles of historic or special interest . Rs32:441 chapter 3 s441. And ad amendment to allow humvees to be titled . The omv commsioner has the power to just say to let humvees be titled and it would be in motion . But we want it in writing .

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don’t believe senator hewett knew anything about this till I brought it up . So we can’t go blaming her for something the omv did . We believe the omv commisionor put this in motion . And bet she regrets it now . And hewett just signed some bull someone else wrote . The heads of omv , hewett and their lawyers is supposed to be there . Funny how they did not let us invite a lawyer . But we got that covered . Lol wish us luck . We are asking that they use the law already on books for vehicles of historic or special interest . Rs32:441 chapter 3 s441. And ad amendment to allow humvees to be titled . The omv commsioner has the power to just say to let humvees be titled and it would be in motion . But we want it in writing .[/Q

Good luck and God's speed!

Broke Down

Sounds like a solid plan! I second the beer or whatever item we can use as a reason to celebrate. I wish I could be off work to support and share my opinion. I have my paperwork in my safe, the plan was to register mine last week while the kiddos and I were on vacation, they wanted to take a trip in the deuce. Summer is coming soon, they will be ready....haha

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Attempted Minutes of Today's Meeting

Take Aways from Today’s Mtg

The meeting consisted of 4 owners and 4 dmv administrators but not the commissioner and Sen. Hewitt. Another person did pop in later and was never introduced.

How did we get here?

In another thread UNDYSWORLD hit the nail on the head. There is a national policy association/non profit of dmv administrators. They have pushed an agenda out there to all states and some are reacting to it. Basically they are calling all military trucks as unworthy and not meeting safety standards. Also there is an issue if they are allowed on Federal funded roads and Interstates? The topic of GP off road hmmwv titles also is part of this agenda but not the sole driving force. All trucks are lumped into one category.

LA DMV's Position

The LA dmv does not feel there is a clear and legal path to license & title any military vehicle in La. and a law needs to be passed to give clear legal language to all mv wheeled trucks. They are not totally against owning trucks and seem very receptive to help and want to do it “right”. They are the gate keepers providing technical assistance on La dmv statues, federal laws, AND BEST PRACTICES of other states to the senators. They are keenly aware of other states efforts and recent laws. They also are aware that many trucks have been registered in the past but feel they are not on legal ground with a statue to back them up. The Stencil law is not a clear path to registration or Title but just a provision not to use a plate.

Only 52 revocation letters have been sent and no more are planned presently. I tried to ask what was the criteria and I am afraid either the question was not answered or I did not understand the reply mixed in with all the dialogues.

As expected, La has modeled this bill with Virginia’s new law. Virginia’s law is based on language from the American Collector’s Insurance. Those who might have a policy from them, might need to evaluate your carrier. LA dmv feels this is a “good” law and feel restrictions are workable. They seem to like this one better than others. I requested they look at Idaho HB506 amongst others.

Sen Hewitt is an advocate and approachable

Sen. Hewitt clearly wants to help the owners and is not a roadblock but an advocate. But she is relying on dmv for expert advise on the technicalities , existing statues, and proposed language. I inferred she will not do anything counter to dmv’s advise. She wants to establish a path. I did not feel she wants restrictions but if dmv does, then she will not go against their advise.

Other ramblings

All 4 owners explained what we do with these trucks and tried to educate the difference from a WWII jeep, deuce, 5 ton, cucv to a hmmwv. We tried to explain the differences but in their mind they are all one big lump. I did explain that GP sells USMC hmmwv’s without restrictions for a premium price and I would say 4 sets of eyeballs got wide and pens were scratching paper. I did advocate against all restrictions but dmv does not seem willing to say zero restrictions. We briefly talked about equipment standards but nothing in the bill looks to be problematic.

Long technical discussion of fmvvs , 1180, AMG, Hummers, etc and federal standards also took place.

I did advocate a Grandfather clause to cover preexisting owners before a new law is enacted.

Potential GEM

There seemed to be some wiggle room from dmv on allowing self certification possibly by an ASE mechanic to allow compliance to standards. The bad is that the issue of Emissions compliance for the 4 parishes that require it came up. They were not aware that the vast majority of trucks are Diesel. The question of how owners in those 4 parishes would comply was left dangling? This could provide a path.

Final Thoughts

Only one hour was allocated to the mtg. On final wrap ups; They wanted only one owner to represent everyone (not me) and work with one administrator to iron out language and possible compromise(s) to submit to the senator.

They do want to present something to committee next week and bring to a vote.

I would rather the other 3 owners post if they desire but will keep them private until they chime in.

Please do not shoot the messenger/ reporting clerk. :burn:
I have tried to report what has happened with very few of my personal beliefs to muddy the water.:clinto:

I have not given my opinions yet here on ss as I want to see what develops from these point to point discussions and do not want to poison the well just yet. I and others have more wrenches in our tool boxes:) and as they say “It ain’t over till someone sings….”

I did stay at Holiday Inn once and in dire need to go to the French Quarter and visit Pat O”Brien’s and consume a hurricane(s) as my head still hurts…..

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank YOU for the update!! There are many members that aren't from LA that are closely watching and trying to help your cause!! God's speed!!

Flyingvan911

That's good information. We know that it is an organized effort to influence every state. I wonder if the national association will be satisfied with each state making laws or if they will push against on-road use no matter what.

Al Capone

I’ve spent the last 1.5 hours on phone with one of others from meeting and briefly with other one who is working on the changes to bill to be approved by top omv person by Friday . Seems we were not able to get rid of everything on this go around but the self inspection by ase certified mechanic will give us interstate use . And on road use for humvees . Hopefully the section H removed at this time and modify penalty . If this bill passes senator said we can go back next year and do some changes . That’s all I know at moment . Wish I could have been there .

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On a different note, I would like everyone to know that SEMA did not come out against the bill but recommend to its members to support the bill. I have sent an email to the director when I found out but have not heard back on any policy reversal.

Extremely disappointing that their position was against mv owners from one who sold parts/accessories from their manufacturers for 20 years and wears an ASE patch.

I just thought you street & hot rodders and racers out there should know!

Broke Down

Thanks guys, all we can do is hope this plains out and they listen to owners. I've had my truck for a few years and never registered it, I wish I would have now. I am disappointed that our rights are taken away due to ignorance, safety is key but at what point is common sense ignored?

Al Capone

Tomorrow will know if they accept the revised bill. It got rid of restrictions but still no interstate unless only way to go she said . Ridiculous penalty for violation gone also . Will update tomorrow on what we hear back

undysworld

Al,
Pretty good news!
Remember, if you get the really important provisions of the bill, it's worth it. You can always approach your legislators again next session, if you need. Sounds like you're doing pretty well.
I'm a bit confused by your comments on SEMA. Didn't you write that they did not come out against it and recommended support, yet their position was against MV owners? I don't recall receiving any SAN notice from them. I'm curious, since they have always been pretty helpful to me here.

To Everyone,
FWIW, the national MVPA can support your efforts, but ultimately your legislators only answer to their in-state constituents. Do Not expect the national group to be able to pull the strings. The heavy lifting has to be done in-state.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sent them an email to notify them of the bill to the generic box.

I got a reply back from the Director who would take the matter under review and get back to me.

Next thing I see is this:
http://www.semasan.com/page.asp?content=aa2018LA1&g=SEMAGA

I don't think they understand the bill's proposed restrictions including a 5 year suspension for a mileage violation of traveling over 125 miles and no Interstate or multi lane highway travel among other problems. Also no mention of all the restrictions as you do not have the full text of the bill.

No reply from my objections yet.

frodobaggins

The LA dmv does not feel there is a clear and legal path to license & title any military vehicle in La. and a law needs to be passed to give clear legal language to all mv wheeled trucks. They are not totally against owning trucks and seem very receptive to help and want to do it “right”. They are the gate keepers providing technical assistance on La dmv statues, federal laws, AND BEST PRACTICES of other states to the senators. They are keenly aware of other states efforts and recent laws. They also are aware that many trucks have been registered in the past but feel they are not on legal ground with a statue to back them up. The Stencil law is not a clear path to registration or Title but just a provision not to use a plate.
There is not a clear legal path because no one at the Fed level ever felt it was necessary. Until recently, they were always sold as either scrap, or with paperwork for titles. They are just trucks, and
were sold as such.

gentrysgarage

Juan and all,
When this whole fiasco started, I was looking for automotive lobbiest and SEMA was one of them. I feel that they had a generic proposal of the bill, but it appears that someone was holding the exact wording back. The page you referenced did indeed change between the time I checked it and last night. Just an FYI. I have so much more to comment, but it wouldn't help matters, just know you guys are the vanguard in this battle and as a ex-Louisianian I am supporting you guys

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks