• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LOUISIANA PROPOSED NEW LAW : HB 549 Provides for Military Surplus Motor Vehicles

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ironically, Just got a follow up email to my concerns and the detailed list of objections I gave them. They are re evaluating the matter and see my side of the coin so to speak. Lets see what they do.

Hopefully today I get the compromise revised bill and can get it to them also.

As always a fluid situation.

dmetalmiki

There is not a clear legal path because no one at the Fed level ever felt it was necessary. Until recently, they were always sold as either scrap, or with paperwork for titles. They are just trucks, and
were sold as such.
As a casual observer, I see that these regulations follow pretty much what is expected in the E.U. (Not including a FULL Vehicle test/inspection Every 12 months(And, the driver to have a drivers license in type)).
AS read, this recommendation appears to apply to "Offroad" (designated at point of disposal) Sale. / Release.
By coincidence, It also seems to follow closely, and apply to (be in line with) 'Comments made by steelsoldiers members' ) about /*drivers* AND *incidents (some severe). Who, erred caused or ignored the rules of safety legal requirements and operation.
It (the regulation).( As an observer) ,seems NOT to apply to current correctly registered designated and operated ) Historic ex military vehicles.
Please remember, this is just my own opinion, having read and followed the very many posts that could involve and or effect the furtherance of the hobby.

Al Capone

Ann I will post the revised bill tomorrow . It removed lots of stuff and omv and their lawyers approved it and so did state police . One more person has to look at it in morning . The 55mph is still there but all other restrictions are gone and so are penalties are gone . But ... in the meeting the omv said to us we did not bring it up and and said no tracked vehicles. I don’t know of any states that allow tracked vehicle rubber pads or not on road . I’ll post revised bill as soon as last person who has to approve it tomorrow does . Al

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As written, it only applies to MVs designed for off road use. This would make practically everything exempt from it, considering that virtually all wheeled vehicles are designed primarily for on road use.

Al Capone

Omv decided that all ex military vehicles that did not have fmvss decals were not road worthy . I’m not gonna waste my time beating a dead horse here explaining the months of fighting with the omv to show them all documents stating otherwise . I know they were . Be patient and will post approved revised bill info this weekend once last person looks at it .

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WTH? How does this actually happen with ALL the information readily available for scrutiny? Gooberment AMAZES me................thanks for all the hard work and keeping us posted!!

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Meeting tomorrow at state capital . News to come
Doggone it! Leave the forum for a week and all kinds of stuff happens. Last I understood, we were waiting on a meeting with the gov at the end of April. Couldn't have made the meeting anyway - had to be at the BTR airport at that time. Playing catch-up now and should be able to make the 4/19 meeting.

Instatron

The bill your talking about is SB549, I read all of this thread and am not sure what to tell the senators, Something like "I support SB549 with the changes that are being discussed by Steelsoilders members" I's sorry but kind of confused on how to specify it, Please Advise. and Thanks for all your doing to try and get them to make it reasonable.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Revised Bill Language for SB549

I have received the attached PDF of the proposed revised SB549 bill language from 2 different La official sources via email. I am sharing as it not yet posted on the La site so our La members can be informed.

Please note this message from one of the sources:

As per Senator Hewitt, attached is a rough, unofficial copy of SB 549. Our Senate attorney will be preparing amendments to the original bill for the committee hearing.

So there is the potential of more changes but this is what has been worked out and where the bill now stands as I know of.

Attachments

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
4/19 La Senate Committee on Transportation, Highways and Public Works meeting

SB549 will be on the agenda from my understanding of the La Senate Committee on Transportation, Highways and Public Works from an email of Sen Hewitt's Office on Thu 4/19

Senator Hewitt asked that I contact you to let you know that Senate Bill 549 will be heard in Senate Transportation Committee on Thursday, April 19, upon adjournment of the Senate. This time is usually between 9:40 and 10:00 a.m. The committee meets in Senate Committee Room E on the Ground level of the State Capitol Building. Senator Hewitt asked that you all attend and testify at the committee hearing. She also encourages you to invite other military surplus vehicle owners to be in the audience during the hearing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Al Capone

I know couple of y’all live around baton rouge . If y’all can make it to the hearing Thursday please do and bring friends / supporters . I know most of us have jobs and can’t go . I would take off work to go but I’m in training that I can’t miss my job depends on this . In the meeting we had it was discussed about how many owners we were representing . And out of about 16 owners I had numbers for only two answered and one said he was gonna Try and make it and other owner just kinda laughed and said he was not going . So if anyone can go thanks .

1943 Halftrack

Still Concerns

SB549 will be on the agenda from my understanding of the La Senate Committee on Transportation, Highways and Public Works from an email of Sen Hewitt's Office on Thu 4/19

Senator Hewitt asked that I contact you to let you know that Senate Bill 549 will be heard in Senate Transportation Committee on Thursday, April 19, upon adjournment of the Senate. This time is usually between 9:40 and 10:00 a.m. The committee meets in Senate Committee Room E on the Ground level of the State Capitol Building. Senator Hewitt asked that you all attend and testify at the committee hearing. She also encourages you to invite other military surplus vehicle owners to be in the audience during the hearing.
I tried to send you a private message but your quota is full.

Please call me 225-665-7427.

Last edited by a moderator:

frodobaggins

To be honest, I'm not going because I don't support this bill. There are many problems with it.
I believe trying to get this hastily written bill passed will only hurt us. I don't think anyone is going
to want to help us "fix" it later. If you don't fix it now, this may be all you get.

1943 Halftrack

To be honest, I'm not going because I don't support this bill. There are many problems with it.
I believe trying to get this hastily written bill passed will only hurt us. I don't think anyone is going
to want to help us "fix" it later. If you don't fix it now, this may be all you get.
That is exactly why you need to go. I plan on raising enough objections that the committee will either have to amend it numerous times, table it, or vote it down.

Even with the changes, it is not a good bill because it does not take the collector into account at all. The definition is too vague.

frodobaggins

That is exactly why you need to go. I plan on raising enough objections that the committee will either have to amend it numerous times, table it, or vote it down.

Even with the changes, it is not a good bill because it does not take the collector into account at all. The definition is too vague.

You're right. After I wrote that I tried to make plans to go, but alas, I still cannot make it. I will e-mail my objections to the committee as well as post them here in case anyone wants to bring them up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks