• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LOUISIANA PROPOSED NEW LAW : HB 549 Provides for Military Surplus Motor Vehicles

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just hope someone with all the correct knowledge with some back bone can make this go away.. all of it gone like a bad dream.... GONE all of the bill

gentrysgarage

Look guys and Gal,
The OMV did a preemptive strike with the 52 letters sent out about registration, so they came out slugging as to not have the wonderful bill passed that Montana did.

We need to form a united front and get a senator or representative to change the onerous first sentence and other sections other than Hewitt (who has stated her position and refuses to listen to logic and gave us a few "carrots" to try and passivefy the MV community).

It has been stated that emails get disposed of by aides and are near worthless, if you value your freedom to use your MVs as you want, take some time and pick up the phone and call your senators and representative...I will guarantee it will take less time than it would to lobby to correct a bad law or standing in front of most OMV employee who feels they are underpaid to care and take the easy way out and reject all MVs.

As I am no longer a resident of Louisiana, I can only support from the rear. Remember if you do nothing don't BITCH about the outcome...you lost that right. Sorry for the rant, but I see the unfortified frontline fracturing even more with the different jabs at other people

Rant over

MaverickH1

I haven't had a chance to read everything. But ideally the law should be set up to allow people to title/register as normal vehicles, and also have the option for an Antique style plate for those that are more interested in keeping the vehicles in non-road worthy fashion. Assuming that LA vehicle code already has something similar to VA antique law.

By that, I mean if there's a law already in existence in LA that says that a vehicle has to have a bumper height of ___" to operate on the highways of LA, and a 5 ton doesn't meet that standard, then the owner has the choice of keeping it as a historic vehicle or the owner has the choice of modifying it to meet existing code.

I hope you guys can fight and win this. The chairman of the senate subcommittee on transportation and the administration of the VA State Police screwed us here in VA.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tim,

Working tonight but will update later. A few more first downs and we picked up some yards :) Those goal posts don't look like they are impossible anymore.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There were 7 of us to show up, and to be honest, at least 5 of us were against the bill initially, because it reads so poorly and seems so restrictive and ambiguous. Once we understood why it was written that way, I believe all of us were actually basically in favor of having the bill with changes that will be input by next week. The off-road wording may be gone, the speed limit restriction raised to 65, the option for stencils over plates still stands, and other changes were suggested. We may have to have an ASE(?) mechanic to certify that all original (if not upgraded) safety equipment is present (brake system, lights, windshield, wipers, etc) on vehicles newly registered.

We will never go back to what we had, but this will get us back on the highway faster than any other process. If the bill does not pass the committee next week, there will not be time to get it through the legislature this year. Even if passed, it may not take effect until next January. If it does not get through the committee next week, it will be next spring (or two years?) before it can be brought up again. When implemented, it should provide an avenue to reverse the 52 registration revocations, and remove the ORV from the title of newly registered vehicles like my M923A2.

Senator Hewitt, the OMV representative and all the committee members want us to have our MVs with as much freedom as possible. We just have to get there through some obscure legal wrangling to get most of what we want. I know it seems counter-intuitive, but I recommend everyone support the bill - and I didn't think I would say this when I walked into the meeting this morning.

I would love to see the Idaho solution for our problem, but I don't think that will fly in this state at this time.

Last edited:

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I strongly disagree on supporting this non sense bill. any restictions at all on us driving our trucks is no good. dont know why some would want this bill to pass... makes me sad to hear some giving in

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tim, as I understand it, you either have this bill and try to get the best improvements to it or you don't drive period. Pretty sure Wisconsin had a similar outcome originally, then they did amendments the next legislative session to get the improvements they wanted.

Al Capone

We been trying to tell everyone this . It’s this bill or they will start sending out revoke letters to everyone like they were doing but stopped due to this . They will start sending the letters out demanding proof of the federal
motor vehicles safaty standards decal or plaque in door jams to vehicles post 1966 I think it is . Which military vehicles don’t have . Y’all really won’t like it when they say you can’t drive your vehicle at all .

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Because if it doesn't pass, the risk is that all registered MVs in LA are subject to having the titles revoked, and new MVs will receive ORV titles. The revocation process, however ill-advised, misguided, or based on lack of knowlege, is currently halted while OMV is trying to find a way to legally title MVs in a way to satisfy the raised concerns. I've already lost one truck sale and may lose another if this isn't resolved quickly, so this is a hard hit for me. As a retiree on a fixed income, I can't afford to pay $10K just to retain a lawyer to start to fight it. I started out with 2 type-written pages of facts and comments. The worst concerns were addressed, but the underlying feeling that the OMV was just plain wrong to start all this stuff is still there. The definition of compromise is that neither side is satisfied with the result, and I can assure you that I am not happy. Like many of our past elections, you have to hold your nose and pull the lever for the lessor evil.

Broke Down

I'll just keep working on mine until. Maybe this will give me time to paint it. We will be lucky to be able to drive them still, I'll take what I can get at this point....but I'm not very happy.

Thanks to those that represented us today, your time is much appreciated. You did what you could, you are dealing with the government after all.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today's Committee mtg

We were the last item on the agenda so a long day.

Highlights and overview

I had advocated in favor and signed up to speak.

Sen Hewitt spoke first and introduced the bill and some background. She then introduced the amendments which were quickly approved that already were previously posted here. Amendments passed very quickly with all most no discussion.

Ryan spoke for a few minutes also in favor and how some of the compromises of the amended bill had been worked out.

55 out; 65MPH in
I was called next and gave my overview and that we had worked out some good compromises but I would like to see the 55mph and interstate restrictions removed. Several senators asked me questions about how & where to buy. That gave me the perfect venue to explain all sales but specifically call out the USMC hmmwv from GP with no restrictions.I think this helped with a later discussion on off road. I was also able to answer questions specifically of what I drive and what they can do. I informed them that my m923 will do 65 and the hmmwv 69. This immediately brought out a comment that the Chair would not want to be around me doing 55 as that would be an impediment. Senator Smith immediately brought an amendment to 65mph which quickly passed with dmv's approval. So 55 is gone and 65 mph is in. I thought it was very good that many questions were asked and that Senators wanted to be clear and understand fully.

I think we all can live with that if you truck is capable and yes I know some can do more but the top speed in La is 70 in the vast majority and 75 only on 150 miles of I-49. So that was a win in my book.

OFF ROAD almost went away

Ann and John spoke next and presented specific problems with the language and brought up problems for older mv's. During this discussion the definition of OFF ROAD in the technical description of the vehicle came up. Some of the senators were discussing it and I feel an amendment was about to be proposed stripping the wording but before it could proceed, Sen Hewitt asked for a deferment till next week and for time for more specific review and revision. I feel very certain we were minutes away from getting rid of OFF ROAD but it was curtailed.

My Meeting after committee was over
I had worked with Senator Smith previously for the Boy Scouts so I made a point to thank him and chat. The chairman and 3 other senators hung together at the same time and I took advantage of the time with them to side bar on several points and Sen Hewitt also came up. These are my impressions of points I was able to get across and felt they would be in favor. I got a good 15 min access to them to advocate for us all.

Ann And John mentioned seat belt restrictions in the cargo area for parades during their presentation. They seemed very willing to add an exemption for passengers with no seat belts during slow moving parades such as Veterans or mardi gras etc.

I explained that most owners would want to have the choice for the new plate or to continue using the stencil law in lieu of a plate for historical perspective. Since the law is already in the books since 1990, they seemed ok. I told them I did not bring it up since the language was not in the bill but they seemed agreeable to it and even suggested amending it in would not be problematic.

I did mention that this provision was written long ago when we only had green trucks and that the law specified yellow or white stencil only. One of the Senators immediately saw where I was going with tan trucks and said they have no problem with this. Adding to this law or later revising the Stencil statue to include black in the colors I was told would be no problem. They all quickly understood Vietnam era to today on color schemes.

I was asked to provide the Idaho, Wis, and Ky laws to them to review as most were not familiar with anything but the Va law barely.

Bottom line, they were all friendly, understanding and I truly believe supportive, get it, and want to help us.

The 2 hurdles left are the off road and we almost had that gone. Just a few more minutes....aua Next hurdle is Interstate. I did not push anymore as I felt I had gotten what I feel is lots of progress in 15min to the folks who will push the buttons. My assumption if they got the 65 and amended that in minutes with no discussion, we can get the interstate also removed.

As Doug and Ann have stated. There is a sense of urgency and we need to accept compromise. If this bill does not get out of committee so it can be voted by house and Senate we are done for 2 years plus. La law only allows laws to be introduced in specific cycles. Next year, is only fiscal matters-budget, taxes, spending etc. This year's special session was for also fiscal but we are in the regular session calendar now during this bill. I don't think they have ever called a special session for other matters.:?:

Also remember amendments can be stripped away or added at anytime during house or senate approval.

This has gotten lots better than the original bill and we are getting there. Even if you disagree with a specific point(s), please see the big picture. We could go backwards.......:sad:

Soupermike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where do pre 1966 MVs fall under this? I saw where someone brought up 1966 and newer MVs but have not seen any mention of years of manufacture being said.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where do pre 1966 MVs fall under this? I saw where someone brought up 1966 and newer MVs but have not seen any mention of years of manufacture being said.
There is no specific date range for this bill as it is broad and that is a good thing. My thought and I believe you already comply is the min equipment they want. Windshield, headlight, taillight, blinkers, horn etc. Look at the bill's equipment. Only thing that I see problematic for you is seat belts? Do m37's have them? If not it is a real simple fix to add them and I would encourage you to do so anyway.

Al Capone

The post 1966 year range was brought up while back when they were demanding the fmvss decals . And this agency or whatever you want to call them were not around or developed before this date . But guess omv just got away from the decal demands now .

lowell66dart

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To all the guys that made the trip I want to say thank you. From my limited perspective you all have made some great progress.
I am semi-retired and had to work yesterday or I would have made the trip to meet the SS members and lend some support. Al has my number for any future needs.

gentrysgarage

As I see it ALOT of victories and only 2 losses...WAY TO GO GUYZ n Gal !!!
Kind of disconcerting Senator Hewwitt left...If the bill gets tied up in committee any chance Senator Smith could introduce the Montana wording? Edit TrailBoss explained it was to have a sidebar for futher clarification...I think it went GREAT Guyz-n GAL thanks for your time and effort...

But still there's the other loss......
:(

Dayna Cooke Troutman <catalog@patobriens.com>
Apr 17 (3 days ago)
to me

Sorry we do not offer e-cards!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks