• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Simp's M923 Big Cam Repower

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
welp. Most of the final pieces showed up today. Should be able to get it all together and perhaps back running this weekend. I went with a set of injectors with a slight more pressure to get some wear and tear off the camshaft. I went with a 222 to 224 flow rate that were built by Premco in Lampasas, TX. They ran me around $75 per injector exchange. Which is alot better than the $150 an injector for a factory replacement. I am going to play around with the fuel setup while its on the dyno as well. I am gonna start with the #10 button and go to a # 5 and if I feel like some extra fuel I have acquired a 00 button. I think it should be fine at around a #5 but she does need fuel in order to get boost. So let her rip.

I went with some ceramic coated pistons along with dual ni rings from Syracuse Crank and Machine. Was a pretty good deal with the shipping included. All and all it should be a decent running motor after its all back together.

dyno results and rebuild pictures are to come.
might have to get a little smoking going

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe42q8ZmjGU

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well, she's together and back in. Cab goes back on tomorrow after a few modifications are done to it. Shes atleast clean. Probably used 300 gallons of water, 5 gallons of simple green, and 10 gallons of diesel in the steam cleaner to get her that pretty.

Dropped the fuel button to a #5 but may swap to a 00. Not too sure yet.

Gonna probably put Profos FLU419 and skid steer on the trailer and drag them around got s sight seeing tour for the break in period

Attachments

8madjack

I was thinking, with all this swapping drivetrains, why not just take a solid engine and manual trans out of an old big rig. I'm not very knowledgeable as to what's common and revered, but it seems like an ideal solution to what you do. I know I'd like a setup like that.

74M35A2

Be nice to Will.

Replace the engine mount bolts with cotter pins. Throw some more fuel and boost at it, she'll be back out and riding the grass again soon enough. Sexy starter though!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Should be running again on Wednesday. Replaced the rings on 2 cylinders, they were mismatched rings from the piston that I did not like the quality of. Replaced the heads with some new BC IV. They were a good deal for $250 each with free shipping for reman heads. Well worth it. Replaced the camshaft as well. Gotta fix the transmission for the most part tomorrow.

You can see the comparison of a Cummins oil ring in top vs an aftermarket ring from Reliance.

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well. She has been running for a minute now. Logged 4000 miles a few weeks back as far north as cincy. Far south as Miami. Then a nice Little 2000 mi run a week or two ago. Was dealing with more transmission issues but i hope those are gone now.

Seeing steady boost #'s in the 30 to 35lb range. Egts are not getting past 1100 even on long hills. I added the puradyn bypass system to this engine now as well so it will help with some contaminants. Not sure i believe in their no oil change program though.

Other than that she has a slight sucking air issue i haven't been able to find. She will stumble every few minutes for a few seconds then go back to normal

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well that was fun. Had a driveline yoke weld fail. Apparently they didnt know how to weld to tie it all in. Was doing around 60 in Little Rock when it let go. Took out the exhaust, rear wire harness. Between tandem driveshaft, main driveline. Few air lines and a relay valve, and a torque rod. Was able to coast to an off ramp. Fixed the air lines that i needed to get it to hold air. Replaced the torque rod. Removed all the damaged drivelines and i was able to coast down the ramp and onto a side street. Had the shaft fixed at the driveline shop and the repairs i needed to and moved on down the road and rigged the tail lights up. Will fix the tandem shaft and exhaust when i get back to Memphis. It did a good bit of damage. Luckily the driveline shopped billed the other place that did the work

Was nothing i did that caused the failure just a crap workmanship. Just another fun filled week.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks