• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Simp's M923 Big Cam Repower

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Wes, are you having heads rebuilt or new/exchange? I just thought of something. It has been a bit, but, IIRC, N14 valves are spaced the same as NT. If you could come up with a set of N14 cross heads, they should fit on the NT heads, but you would need to remove the cross head guide, and never need to worry about that adjustment ever. You would need 6 non jake and 6 jake ones. The only thing to do special would be to have an .018 feeler gauge long enough to go between both feet of the brake piston to set it correctly, the croxx head will tilt side to side if not. Just a thought.

Your overhead would be as quiet as a mouse!

74M35A2

I have the Jake 90 degree handled feeler gauge to loan. Fits ISL, but possibly same for BC? I’d chuck new valves in all holes to prevent reoccurrence. You could be working with a million mile engine. Nonetheless, we are all eagerly awaiting truck of the year to return to stardom.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I have a long set of feeler gauges that work fine.

She may not get the BCIII put back in her.....just trying to figure out where i am gonna put all 19 liters at.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Careful, a K is a different beast. You think 855 parts are expensive......

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds fun!

Better do it, theres a 12v149 Detroit on CL that I bet 74m has been eyeballing...

You should be able to scab a couple of hoods together, build you own pan, and use some winch frame extensions to make it fit. Will the Cat hold up to the KTA, or are you looking at something different there as well?

It will be mostly a different truck, so should be good for truck of this year as well.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last time I was involved in a K repair it was 700 a hole, just a cylinder kit. Good news is that you can one hole it, but pieces fly around inside worse than the 855, Aftercooler cores were upwards of 2500. But those were Cummins prices, real deal parts, no aftermarket crap. I do like the smoke they make :D

600 or 750 hp? Automotive of course....

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
CPL # 442. Came from an old cruiseliner. KTA's are pricey but no different than a kitty cat.
Big cams are cheap really. I did well on a kit for 1150 shipped and 450 for a set of built injectors with a 00 button to go with it. Injectors were built by Premco down in Texas.

With the KTA is the size issue. Yeah. Shes pretty big. I know the KTA can produce some power. Now if I only had that MVT KTA. I would need to do the rear end up grade at the same time

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hey Wes, are you having heads rebuilt or new/exchange? I just thought of something. It has been a bit, but, IIRC, N14 valves are spaced the same as NT. If you could come up with a set of N14 cross heads, they should fit on the NT heads, but you would need to remove the cross head guide, and never need to worry about that adjustment ever. You would need 6 non jake and 6 jake ones. The only thing to do special would be to have an .018 feeler gauge long enough to go between both feet of the brake piston to set it correctly, the croxx head will tilt side to side if not. Just a thought.

Your overhead would be as quiet as a mouse!
N14 crossheads will not fit an 855. The crossheads have different size holes on each end rather than the same on both size. The larger hole goes to the exhaust side. Same spacing though just one end will not fit on top of the valve.

Attachments

Last edited:

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, now I remember, they fit but the N14 has more stem above the retainer and the x head rides on the retainer when installed on the NT. It's been a bit!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks