• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Simp's M923 Big Cam Repower

Dock Rocker

Mine is actually a M51014 or M5141020 ton truck. 5 Ton axles. 10ton transfer case (hemtt) and 14/20 ton engine and transmission

I pity whoever buys my truck in the future. They will have too many TMs to go thru.
Wes,

You should just add all the model numbers together and average them and make your own designation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You're making sure you publish a MWO each time you make a modification to complement the TMs too, right?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well just doing little things while i wait for some small parts and my larger turbo to show up. Mostly cosmetic work. My old bumper was bent slightly and there no getting it back on once it came off.

Using a front bumper off a 915 series truck. Using 1/2" x 5" x 3" angle iron inside and out to hold it and the tow bar brackets to the frame. Should be more than sufficient with 5 bolts that are 1/2" L9s

Will be putting the air filter in the area where the heater box would normally be. So I am going to use 2 of the heater/air inlet vent covers off the m35/809 series trucks and place them on that upper area of the hood out to the side. This will be extra air to help with the 8inch front inlet. Should be plenty enough air.

Motor is pretty much done except an alternator bracket that i had to get as the 3 i had I could just not make work in that area i have.

Attachments

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I like that step addition. No pushing yourself up and trying to frantically find a footing for your dangling feet.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I like that step addition. No pushing yourself up and trying to frantically find a footing for your dangling feet.

Wont plan on climbing up there much. I thought about using it to raise the hood but I put springs between the bolt and frame cross member for the hood so the hood will actually fold all the way over vertical and rest on the bumper.

Those LMTV steps were only $15 ea shipped from a guy on ebay, i bought a dozen or so. May have to add a few to the swampdonkey so you are able to climb down from the bed of the truck this year sir.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Not much going on as of late. Hate to wait for some small parts to show up. I added a air vent scoop for the air intake to get some extra air other than head on thru the grill. Bigger turbo is on. Filled it full of water this afternoon have a few small leaks and one bypass pipe that apparently is just bad so i will have to get a new one of those.

Went to from a 1710 to 1810 yoke and driveline for a jackshaft as you can see the difference in a tranfer case input yoke for a HET vs a HEMTT. Now I just have some wiring to get fixed up like the air solenoid for the fan clutch, the jake brakes, and other lighting.

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Just about to wrap it up. Got a little exhaust work to do and some minor bumper work and run some air lines to the front. and figure out the air conditioner or how I am gonna handle it. Had some wiring the pins ripped out of the connector when i pulled the cab off. Had to sort that mess out as well.

Got the heavy jackshaft installed today. 92n series joint on the front side and an 1810 series joint on the transfer case. Luckily i had that heavy dude laying around from a $100 surplus purchase on it.

Exhaust work I have gotta smash the down pipe down flat a little bit then add a flex and then straight shot into the existing exhaust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCNQ0GIZjhI

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well, she moves. She moved backwards about 15ft and forwards about 8ft as a test moving job. Power steering is non existent, One of the lines may be crossed since I ditched the metal lines. Look at that tomorrow. and She is slow to build air, I think this is from a crimped compressor line that got in the way on the install. Will cut and resplice it tomorrow. Then it will be time for a test drive.

I did do a little brake torque in 5th gear with the spring brakes locked. It did turn the tires over ever so easily. Test drive video will be up tomorrow.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's why I call you the other night as I was wondering about the radiator being big enough. Guess you will see when you start hauling loads again. Looks good and lots of hard work.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
That's why I call you the other night as I was wondering about the radiator being big enough. Guess you will see when you start hauling loads again. Looks good and lots of hard work.
Welp my plan is that if it starts getting too hot I am going to supplement a air oil cooler for the engine oil to run thru to help bring down some of the heat off the engine. Other plan would be to take another radiator like I have and cut the old radiator and weld ports to the rear of it and mount the 2nd radiator behind it and connect it together with hoses and mount it up together. Or weld both radiators together.

After the thermostat opening up it did take on another gallon of water. I have the coolant for the aftercooler going thru its own radiator so that should help with those temps and egts. Just strange that the small cam held almost 10 gallons but i guess having the heat exchanger and all those extra hoses it had a little more capacity.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Welp. She has had about 100 miles of test drives and 1 loaded test up over the big flyover here in Memphis. Overall she runs pretty good. Can't complain. Turbo sounds good. I got the jakes wired up, they are just on the high setting only until I have time to mess with it later on. But it does work pretty good and is pretty loud considering the muffler I have.

Loaded is we all knew would be night and day difference. Up over the big flyover here in memphis is about the only steep hill i have and she held 64/2200rpms for the mile from top to bottom with the M322 and a M931A0 on it. Decent was easy and just used the jakes.

I ended up using the NHC250 fan clutch with the smaller diameter fan. The large fan off the 400 was bigger than the radiator so i scratched using it. You really can't hear the fan clutch come on while operating though and I noticed zero loss of power even loaded with it engaged. Temps are staying around 180 degrees. Even with it being 90 outside and running around town. it did not climb at all, even loaded.

I do have some leaking on the oil pan gasket. I am going to try to acquire another oil pan and modify it to give my front drive line a little more clearance and then replace the old pan and gasket at one time.

Least my air conditioner works.

Speed wise 64mph is 2150/2200rpms. Should be fine to run around that empty. loaded I will probably keep it at 2100 or so. The governor is set to 2450 and that is 74mph. I will post some videos of her pulling with a load behind her later on.

Overall though I am happy with the mod. Tired of screaming and yelling at it finally. Not to mention everytime I do one of these mods it tends to be Jul/Aug/Sept in the south. But hey, atleast it isn't the snow preventing work from being done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG5S6vRHHQk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well went on a leg stretcher of about 650 mile round trip. Moved a few trucks around and loaded up a 932 to return to Memphis. Truck ran well on the way down. About 5mpg running in the 21/2200 range all the way down there. Did fine for the most part.

On the way back though loaded however about 40 miles from CSMDavis' place the mechanic style 92 series busted a cap and threw the whole jackshaft out of the truck and onto the highway. Was only running about 30mph thru a town. Ended up taking out the wet tank's front T valve for the main tank and pressure protection valve. Breaking off in the tank. Smashed the exhaust up pretty good. Pulled some wires loose and dented the fuel tank. Ended up snapping the u joint strap bolts off nearly at their heads. So that was a fun time. Coasted to a stop on the shoulder as it was losing some air.

Jeff brought the old wrecker up and moved it off the shoulder of the road to a frontage road. I had an extra 92 series joint so after some minor yoke repair we got it back together and beat the 1810 joint in to get it to work to roll down the highway. Ended up rerouting a bunch of lines and bypassing the air dryer system to get me home. Have a few extra large tanks so I just tied into them off the compressor charge line. Then I just let the compressor run all the time and let my air dryer for my transmission tanks control the emergency pressure pop off. Being that all 3 system pop off valves are on the rear of the wet tank, the air dryer, and on the drivers frame rail to the air dryer.

but anyhow. After being down about 3 hours and getting it all back together down the road i went and drove the 260 miles home running about 58/60 mph the whole way with a loaded trailer still. Averaging around 6 mpg. Was nice though to drive the whole way from Jackson to Memphis with a good many hills and never downshifted one time out of 16th. Plenty of power. Gets better fuel mileage loaded vs empty though. Strange.

Welp tomorrow I will be redoing air lines. ditching the wet tank probably and using an alternative tank. Fixing the exhaust. Will have a new yoke welded on the one end of the driveshaft. and may even add a driveshaft loop in that area cause a 250lb driveshaft does alot of damage.

HOWEVER. After inspection today I figured out the cause of the failure. The Mechanics style u joints come with metal holding the end caps together so you can't remove them. Well on the busted cap I looked thru the hole that supplys grease to the cap. It had not been drilled all the way out and was only about half way drill. Cap was not getting any grease so it was a failure on the U joint and the rest was a chain reaction.

Oh well. trial and errors. but power wise though. it is a pulling SOB.

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
nothing to it though when something happens. Just gotta be like Macgyver and take this from that to make this work with something else to get you down the road.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks