• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any info on states issuing titles for hmmwvs?

EladB

Wow, that’s nice to here about Nebraska. I’ve been looking at possibly getting one to go with my M925A2.
Just a note about NE.

I looked at an M998 for sale out southwest of Lincoln. The guy bought it at GP auction, had it trucked to him, and took his paperwork in to get it titled. He now has a title stamped "OFF ROAD USE ONLY", no no plates for him. Needless to say, I didn't buy it despite a very attractive price... if I can't get tags for road use, it's not worth much to me at all.

Now, obviously it CAN be done, because others have done it. But if/when I buy, I'll probably buy one from another state that has a clean on-road title and tags. I figure that will maximize my chances of getting it licensed for road use. That was the advice from the one person who I have heard from that actually has one licensed in NE. I'm not saying it can't be done with an EUC and SF-97, but I'd be careful and maybe talk to your local DMV ahead of time to make sure you don't get stuck with a very large Gator.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a note about NE.

I looked at an M998 for sale out southwest of Lincoln. The guy bought it at GP auction, had it trucked to him, and took his paperwork in to get it titled. He now has a title stamped "OFF ROAD USE ONLY", no no plates for him. Needless to say, I didn't buy it despite a very attractive price... if I can't get tags for road use, it's not worth much to me at all.

Now, obviously it CAN be done, because others have done it. But if/when I buy, I'll probably buy one from another state that has a clean on-road title and tags. I figure that will maximize my chances of getting it licensed for road use. That was the advice from the one person who I have heard from that actually has one licensed in NE. I'm not saying it can't be done with an EUC and SF-97, but I'd be careful and maybe talk to your local DMV ahead of time to make sure you don't get stuck with a very large Gator.
I've heard from several people who talked to DMV prior to purchase and were told no problem. When they came back they were told just no.

So talking to DMV prior is no guarantee you'll get the same answer when you come back...

drowens1

I'm in Oklahoma and I had no trouble. Mine came without a vin number which caused me to go through a couple of extra steps. But I finally received an Oklahoma vin number and the process was seamless.

tage

You guys are like a chicken running around without a head.

If you're doing shady stuff to get it registered... Well that's on you.

Btw forum sop is no go on registering talk.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't mean to get off topic but aren't you guys who are "jumping through hoops" to get a title worried about any possible problems? Like getting into an accident and your insurance company or the other party involved may find out that vehicle was never supposed to be on the road in the first place? Seems like a big can of worms could get opened. Just because a state issues a title and plates doesn't mean it's a legal vehicle.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The main thing missing on this thread is, was it titled from a ORO SF97, normal SF97 or with a title from GP?

suzukovich

I did not see anybody suggesting alternative means to get on road titles and registrations. What I do see are still some inconsistencies in various states. I can tell you Florida has gotten easier. As long as you are following the law there should be no issues on getting tags and title. Florida GovPlanet purchase must have SF97 regardless if marked on or off road. Or a valid title from out of state and you will get plates and a title. The problems occur when peaple try to short cut the system or nefarious sellers who change documentation misrepresenting year vehicle was built or change the serial numbers.

Sent from my SM-J727U using Tapatalk

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How different states handle registrations have been in flux nationwide for several years for all former MVs. Whatever information is posted here may change quickly over time.

There is some organization or group that is advising all state motor vehicle agencies that all former US military vehicles don't meet FMVSS standards and are not road legal. Some states are ignoring this position, some states like ID passed clarifying laws that allow all MVs on roads, some states like VA and MD have greatly restricted the ownership and use of former MVs, and some like LA have declared all former MVs should be registered off-road only (as of May 2018 bill going through legislature to allow all MVs on roads). It took an actual court case to force WI to register MVs for on-road use. In some states, different models may be treated differently as to who can drive them (CDL) or where or when they can be driven.

If you have a question about the current status of a specific state, either contact the state agency, ask someone who has recently titled a specific model MV in your state, or read up on the applicable state statutes.

Last edited:

sue

I buy insurance because I’m betting I will have an
accident and the insurance company is betting that
i don’t. Ether way I feel a little better.
The legality question about road safety is answered
min the fact that older vehicles are still on the road ?
where’s the outcry to ban all vehicles with out 27 airbags
and monitoring and tracking GPS so that public safety
agencies can remotelyshut d
Or maybe we should start a huge public class action
suit against the armed services in the fact that they
allow our uniformed young men and women to drive
such “unsafe” vehicles?

sue

I’m just glad that some of you whiners were not
around in this country during the middle 1700s
because we would still be celebrating the kings
birthday and flying the Union Jack.

EladB

I have absolutely no interest in doing anything "shady", nor have I read anything in this thread suggesting it. If my state issues a clean on-road title and tags, and my insurance company writes the policy, and no one has done anything illegal to get to that point, then yes... pretty much by definition, it IS legal. Tne insurer will know exactly what the vehicle is before I make fhe purchase. The whole point to what I'm looking for IS a legal path that won't come back to bite me later on. I don't know why that seems to be so difficult to understand.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
A lot of upper east coast states will reg the humvees. But won’t issue a title for any vehicles over 20 years old so all you get is a transferrable reg. Like you would get with a trailer reg. If you buy the truck and accept off road stamped documentation with it, and then submit that paperwork to get an on road reg, then I think you are just asking for trouble. If you buy the truck and take no paperwork with it, no off road marked documentation will be generated for the truck, and you can reg it on road by yourself then you have done nothing wrong. Nothing in the euc process or any other official government document you sign says anything about registration of the truck. The GP hold harmless is between the buyer and GP, a private company covering itself legally. If GP had an issue with buyers registering then they wouldn’t sell on road reg trucks for private individuals that were previously purchased from GP auction as off road.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks