• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any info on states issuing titles for hmmwvs?

tage

A lot of upper east coast states will reg the humvees. But won’t issue a title for any vehicles over 20 years old so all you get is a transferrable reg. Like you would get with a trailer reg. If you buy the truck and accept off road stamped documentation with it, and then submit that paperwork to get an on road reg, then I think you are just asking for trouble. If you buy the truck and take no paperwork with it, no off road marked documentation will be generated for the truck, and you can reg it on road by yourself then you have done nothing wrong. Nothing in the euc process or any other official government document you sign says anything about registration of the truck. The GP hold harmless is between the buyer and GP, a private company covering itself legally. If GP had an issue with buyers registering then they wouldn’t sell on road reg trucks for private individuals that were previously purchased from GP auction as off road.
I don't think gp cares as long as they're making a boat load of money.

Shady is registering it in another state that you don't reside in. Which is what this thread implied.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
If your home state says they won’t accept a humvee for reg then it is what it is. If your home state will accept one for reg as long as it comes to them from a private sale already registered then that would be the way to go.

2wheels70

This thread started by me was primarily to get us talking about states that will issue license plates and any that won't
I've had a few people ask me about mine and what the laws were on it
I think it's nice to have some dialogue about who can and cannot easily tag one for road use

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't mean to get off topic but aren't you guys who are "jumping through hoops" to get a title worried about any possible problems? Like getting into an accident and your insurance company or the other party involved may find out that vehicle was never supposed to be on the road in the first place? Seems like a big can of worms could get opened. Just because a state issues a title and plates doesn't mean it's a legal vehicle.
Insurance companies know what they are insuring. They don't willy nilly insure things.....

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If not mentioned previously, Kentucky is HMMWV friendly. Real easy checklist and inspection fee.

Recon1172

No problem in Georgia. I bought one titled in Florida but not registered. Sailed right through Ga DMV without issues. Issued me a tag and transferred the title to GA same day.

Havok

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Insurance companies know what they are insuring. They don't willy nilly insure things.....
Funny you say that cuz my agent usually shops me around this time of year to get the best rate and my current insurer is the only one who with insure it. No one else would touch it. Needless to say I will be sticking with them and have my other vehicles insured with another company.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Funny you say that cuz my agent usually shops me around this time of year to get the best rate and my current insurer is the only one who with insure it. No one else would touch it. Needless to say I will be sticking with them and have my other vehicles insured with another company.

Interesting.

Personally I would want to reward that company by giving them the other vehicles as well, even if higher $.

By the same token, if i had to go to another company for my MV's, I'd move everything there including the house.

The message I want to send is "being MV friendly brings you collateral business" and "if you don't want my MVs, you don't want any of my other business either".

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting.

Personally I would want to reward that company by giving them the other vehicles as well, even if higher $.

By the same token, if i had to go to another company for my MV's, I'd move everything there including the house.

The message I want to send is "being MV friendly brings you collateral business" and "if you don't want my MVs, you don't want any of my other business either".
Totally agree here, I have everything but life with the same company (and only reason i don't have life with them is they don't have return of premium life policies). I don't understand why anyone would buy a regular term policy when return of premium does the same exact thing +returns all your premiums if you out live the policy. They do me right, doesn't matter to me if it's a little more cost.

Last edited:

tobyS

edit---removed....I got off topic of titles

Re Insuance, I was with Indiana Farm Bureau for 30 years and had my 817 (liability) insured at about $320/yr. I sold that truck and now have an M929A2. They wanted $800 recently and my house and commercial auto was way up.

I ended up changing my house from them, saving $600 with better coverage, changing our cars, saving $400/half and although Allstate doesn't insure the military trucks, the agent used Progressive and my (personal use not commercial) rate is now $280/yr.

Last edited:

dhaumann69166

Apparently NE DMV is now saying no to all MV's, and has stated they plan to revoke titles -

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?178427-Licensing-M915-s&p=2128751#post2128751
I think in this state it depends on who you get at the counter and what mood they are in. I licensed my Humvee without issue same as any other ranch pickup on the road in January. I have a friend who has bought, titled and licensed 2 deuce and a half trucks in the last couple months without issue and we have a 5 ton dump truck we got last fall and had no issues getting it titled and plated. Nebraska doesn’t require any form of emissions testing so EPA# on the motor doesn’t matter. We have never been asked for a DOT# either. I would guess the type of plate you run may change the DOT part. We run ranch plates on everything with the highest load rating available and never had an issue.

2wheels70

It certainly does appear that many states aren't pleased with military vehicles on the highway
As far as insuring them I use the lizard and they have aren't really friendly to my rates with reference to my hmmwv
I can only assume it's a lack of data driving up my rates

tobyS

So do you think if you brought documents from GP that showed a Humvee was sold as "off-road use only" they would insure it for on-road use?
I remember when that was a taboo issue. I advocated for peeps here at SS to take a proactive approach but was informed the owners didn't want to because it brings up the issue, is omission lying? or fraud.

Well maybe there was open discussion in some states faced with legislation they were unprepared for and people had hard feelings and were banned because of that issue titling them.

There may be a place with a more united front on a national scale, but I don't know of one.

The designation of "off road only" is simply untrue. I went through the plant while they were building them and these are every bit a multi purpose vehicle that is expected to do equally well on-road as it does off road. NONE of the military specifications that this vehicle was built to designated it as "Off-Road-Only"....it was and is a "Multi-Purpose Vehicle" that performs on road and off, well.

NOw lets go for the issue that the governments are really only selling PARTS of vehicles. 90% clearly are not safe or road worthy as sold. At a minimum, the owner or a qualified person should certify the vehicle has been made to meet current highway standards as an assembled vehicle and in some states inspected..."CUCV ASSEMBLED" status title of MV. Just sayin...

suzukovich

I agree 2 thirds of the HUMVEEs sold needed to be fixed in order for them to be road worthy, as with the 5ts, CUCVs. If the vehicles were required to be brought up to current standards it would become cost prohibited.
I remember when that was a taboo issue. I advocated for peeps here at SS to take a proactive approach but was informed the owners didn't want to because it brings up the issue, is omission lying? or fraud.

Well maybe there was open discussion in some states faced with legislation they were unprepared for and people had hard feelings and were banned because of that issue titling them.

There may be a place with a more united front on a national scale, but I don't know of one.

The designation of "off road only" is simply untrue. I went through the plant while they were building them and these are every bit a multi purpose vehicle that is expected to do equally well on-road as it does off road. NONE of the military specifications that this vehicle was built to designated it as "Off-Road-Only"....it was and is a "Multi-Purpose Vehicle" that performs on road and off, well.

NOw lets go for the issue that the governments are really only selling PARTS of vehicles. 90% clearly are not safe or road worthy as sold. At a minimum, the owner or a qualified person should certify the vehicle has been made to meet current highway standards as an assembled vehicle and in some states inspected..."CUCV ASSEMBLED" status title of MV. Just sayin...
Sent from my SM-J727U using Tapatalk

suzukovich

The Designation of Off road use only for the Humvee was a political decision by DLA. If you noticed the Marine Corps HUMVEEs don't have that designation. To insure vehicle couldn't be transferred under various program to local agencies and Museums. That being said. The big issue is lack of doing your homework. If your state requires an SF97 for a GovPlant purchase like Florida requires, then that's what you get. Not a Montana title, or bill of sale.

The purpose of this thread is to help peaple navigate the process legally and point them in the right direction.

Sent from my SM-J727U using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks