• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A cheap and easy way to mount a winch to a CUCV

FrankenCub

I've thought about doing the same for a winch mount. How do you like that winch? I see them on sale a lot and keep milling over getting one.

n8roro

Thats a great idea. I was wondering about side loading as well. The TM says to only use one anchor point when in recovery situation. I'm guessing this is to avoid twisting the frame? Your setup could be fine because the winch plate spreads the load between the two points. In any case if you need it a winch you can only use to pull straight is better than none. Thanks for the video!

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would need additional bracing for side loading for sure.
Great idea for straight pulls only.

Drock

I don't mean to poo poo anybody's idea's, but "cheaper & easier"? I get the draw of wanting to utilize the lift shackles on a CUCV. But it would be much cheaper, and about the same effort, to mount the winch hidden behind the bumper. And you wouldn't have to worry about those (Badlands) winches getting wet, or go missing.2cents

Keith_J

If only they made a 24 volt Badland winch..looks great. I want one that can also mount on the rear shackle bosses. No fear of side loading with this setup as the winch plate is a great shear web so the vending load is converted to pure axial loading on shackle mounts.

VermontPrepper

Great video. Using some of your ideas to mount a winch on my M1028A2. I put a 24 volt, 17000 lb Sherpa on my M1009. Love it so far, can pull down house and the component quality is top notch. Got a brush guard type mount from a guy who makes them specifically for CUCVs on Ebay. Kept original bumper/brushguard intact, with the exception of drilling holes in it to secure the mount. Here is a utube link if interested:

https://youtu.be/eWvA15iaIlA.

Getting ready to put the 24 volt, 25k Sherpa Stallion on my M1028A2. Already bought it, but using a different mounting system. I have a warn winch mount bullguard-type bumper off of an F150 that will most likely be fitted to the shackle mounts and secured by a 1" diameter hardened lockable steel pin, unless any else has a suggestion on how to better do it. Will move shackles to the front of that bumper. This design will also keep the original M1028 bumper intact, and will not need to drill any holes.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
VermontPrepper

I mounted my winch similarly on my m1008. I started to tear the top bumper mounts on each side since the winch wants to twist down while pulling.

You did a great job with that. Looks like a really clean setup.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks