• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lettering

1951D47U

I am about to place the lettering on my M37. I see several different styles or fonts and two lettering sizes, 2" and 3". What are the distinctions? Was one used in certain years then changed to the other size? Also I don't recall exactly how the numbers on the bumpers worked to distinguish Division and units. Not a perfectionist but as long as I am doing it might as well be correct. Aiming for a Korean era look.

Guyfang

Staff member
Your opening a big can of worms here. The major commands, (1st ID, 2nd Armor, 2nd Cav and so on) all had there own directives on bumper numbering. Everyone an his dog will tell you something different. I was in a division sized unit, 32 AADCOM, for About 18 years. We must have changed how we numbered our trucks, about every 18 months. If you want something exact, then go for what unit, what year. Then ask guys here for pictures, or if they remember.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was only in for less than 3 years ('68 to '71) and it seemed like every vehicle I saw had different fonts, sizes and numbering systems.

I also think it was influenced by what was available (paint, vinyl letters, color, etc.,).

You now have total control of the budget and "Command Discretion". You get to pick whatever you want.

kdaniels

I have used the paint mask markings from "Rick Larsen", www.militarystencils.com , He's a member on this forum, a good friend, and does make a quality product.
Just a option for ya, and he can direct you with the correct numbers for the period you want to restore your truck to.

Semper Fi !!

keith

nattieleather

Here is another resource for you. http://www.deltateamdecals.com/ He makes a good product also. The best thing to do is do a google search for the army manual on marking of vehicles during the Korean War. A quick search pulled up this TB746-93-1 Color and Marking of Military Vehicles but it's a 1964 manual. Basically as you look facing the vehicle either front or back your bumper markings should be on the left hand side should be the higher unit 3rd Armor 1 Infantry etc. Then the next HQ (battalion generally). Then on the right side would be the unit marking usually the company this could be a letter like C company or a number like 531st and then the number the vehicle is in the order of march (it's place in the convoy). So the right side would be something like C-21 or 531- 3 and so on. Here is a fictitious unit and how the markings would look.
First Infantry Division, 53rd Military Police Battalion, Alpha Company, Truck 6 (in what I believe to be 1950's marking your mileage may vary)
1ID 53MP A-6
In a more modern approach it would look more like
1I 53P A 6

Now all you need to do if pick a unit down to the company level and your are all set. Also Armor used the Delta triangle and Battalion HQ used HQ on the right side and Headquarter company would use HHC.

I hope this helps. Good luck!
[h=1][/h]

67Beast

Here is another resource for you. http://www.deltateamdecals.com/ He makes a good product also. The best thing to do is do a google search for the army manual on marking of vehicles during the Korean War. A quick search pulled up this TB746-93-1 Color and Marking of Military Vehicles but it's a 1964 manual. Basically as you look facing the vehicle either front or back your bumper markings should be on the left hand side should be the higher unit 3rd Armor 1 Infantry etc. Then the next HQ (battalion generally). Then on the right side would be the unit marking usually the company this could be a letter like C company or a number like 531st and then the number the vehicle is in the order of march (it's place in the convoy). So the right side would be something like C-21 or 531- 3 and so on. Here is a fictitious unit and how the markings would look.

First Infantry Division, 53rd Military Police Battalion, Alpha Company, Truck 6 (in what I believe to be 1950's marking your mileage may vary)
1ID 53MP A-6
In a more modern approach it would look more like
1I 53P A 6

Now all you need to do if pick a unit down to the company level and your are all set. Also Armor used the Delta triangle and Battalion HQ used HQ on the right side and Headquarter company would use HHC.

I hope this helps. Good luck!
Thanks for the nod! Yes, we can help you out with either decals or paint mask sets. As for the size, the most common on the M37's for the hood registration numbers is the 3" size. If you have any question you can always email them to me at dave@deltateamdecals.com or check out the web page to see what our markings look like on M37's

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
What I usually do is google a military unit that existed in the era you want to represent. There is almost always a reference to that unit on the web. Many times pictures of that units equipment also will be there. Here is a picture of a 1951 REO M34 truck that I did that was part of a early 50's ASA unit located in Korea. Notice that the hood star was pointed to the rear of the truck (WW2 style). A few years later the Army turned the star so it pointed to the front. Those of us in the motor pool had to remove the old stars and turn them to the front. At that time they changed the hood numbering scheme also. And the shade of the OD paint changed too.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks