• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923a1 assistance

Dano78

M9023A2
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been saving a while, picked up a 86 m923a1 and it’s in Louisiana and I’m in Ohio. I can come down and get it, just curious if anyone has inside on a couple tires and maybe a free Saturday to get the big girl going(turns over fine) been sitting about 2 years. Kind of a special vehicle for us and I am a very knowledgeable diesel guy but not sure where to get stuff there. Lewisville LA area. Thanks guys/gals!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Where is louisiana is that? It is not coming up on a map. Leesville maybe?

We have tires in Cookeville, TN which would be on your way down sorta from Cincy. 1400s are kinda hard to come by and can be pricey. If it has been sitting 2yrs and it has some Goodyear AT2s they will probably be egg shaped and if if its an XZL and it has been flat it is done for no matter what. and I would not even consider driving on unknown XL tires.

CSM davis may have some tires over near Hattiesburg. or member Profo is south of Lafayette, LA but he may have some tires.

I can haul it up to you for $2.43 a mile from zip code to zip code.

Last edited:

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where is louisiana is that? It is not coming up on a map. Leesville maybe?

We have tires in Cookeville, TN which would be on your way down sorta from Cincy. 1400s are kinda hard to come by and can be pricey. If it has been sitting 2yrs and it has some Goodyear AT2s they will probably be egg shaped and if if its an XZL and it has been flat it is done for no matter what. and I would not even consider driving on unknown XL tires.

CSM davis may have some tires over near Hattiesburg. or member Profo is south of Lafayette, LA but he may have some tires.

I can haul it up to you for $2.43 a mile from zip code to zip code.

He hit me up about some of my stuff on CL. It has XL’s and 3 are flat, he wants to try and drive it back from a GP location next week.

Wess, Do you have a complete set of anything (295’s or 16’s) already on wheels? I didn’t ask what he’s willing to spend. I told him to PM you.

I have four good XL’s I would sell, but there on my truck and I don’t have any spare wheels, and I think he’ll need more for the trip anyway. I was going to see about loaning him some other goodies for the trip.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
He hit me up about some of my stuff on CL. It has XL’s and 3 are flat, he wants to try and drive it back from a GP location next week.

Wess, Do you have a complete set of anything (295’s or 16’s) already on wheels? I didn’t ask what he’s willing to spend. I told him to PM you.

I have four good XL’s I would sell, but there on my truck and I don’t have any spare wheels, and I think he’ll need more for the trip anyway. I was going to see about loaning him some other goodies for the trip.
So it's in leesville then. No. I dont have any mounted up. Could prob get it done. I have brand new 1400 XZLs. Won't be cheap though.

Hopefully he knows how much it'll cost if he cant make it home. I'll call Eddie and ask him about the truck since it's on a GP yard

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So it's in leesville then. No. I dont have any mounted up. Could prob get it done. I have brand new 1400 XZLs. Won't be cheap though.

Hopefully he knows how much it'll cost if he cant make it home. I'll call Eddie and ask him about the truck since it's on a GP yard

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
About 1000 miles. Hopefully you can talk him into a package deal on some new tires and truck all delivered to his door. I may be interested in six more wheels also if something works out this direction.

fasttruck

Any truck in a GP or GL yard that is going more than a 100 feet should be trailered. Some have the fluids drained, bad hoses, belts etc. And once the last unit to have a vehicle scents kit is going to be turned in all maintenance stops. Drive it at your own risk. I bought a
M185 once and trailered it home. Upon examination it was found that the coolant was low. Filled radiator up. Next day puddle under the truck. Further investigation found a pinhole leak I the lower radiator hose which is a molded item and not likely to be found in Autozone. Decision to trailer was also assisted when it was found the service brake did not work either. Vehicle was described in the GL auction description as "operable because it would start.

Dano78

M9023A2
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys! So we are going to drive it. I’m a 20+ year diesel/truck and equipment technician. Had a few deuces. Worked for Cummins for 7years and I know the truck has been sitting. 100% sure all 6 tires are garbage. As far as mechanics not worried at all, we are able to get it into a buddies shop close to the yard for a walk through. Hoses/brakes/seals, stuff happens and fix it when it breaks. Long as it’s road worthy and SAFE I will drive it. If it breaks down, plan B to get it towed will happen. Until then it’s plan A! :)
Anyway, not a newbie to trucks and military vehicles...just a newb to this new adventure and super happy to get it started!
Leesville La is the yard it’s at. Even if I could find resonable shipping to 38320 zip I would be happy(I have a house there) or 45103 where I’m at now. If not, ROAD TRIP!
Thanks again for everyone’s input..seems like a heck of good group of people in here..

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Diesel experience isn't really a factor on these. It is the air system. These trucks have more air lines than you have blood vessels. I have worked on these trucks for years and they still get me sometime. You need to obtain a tablet and download the P2p program in the technical manuals for 5 ton section so you have access to diagrams. Also read the -10 TM.

You need to obtain 4 - DP16 and 10 DP12 brake diaphragms from your local truck pro. in case you blow one or one is blown so you have em handy.

I can transport it back to Memphis or to Camden if that works for you. I would be looking at the end of next week at the moment. Tires are located about an hour east of Nashville. $2.43 a mile is what i am at on it. so figure. $1380 to Camden. or $2300 to Cincy. That cost to cincy would include the shipping on 6 or 7 tires since it on my way up.

As far as preparing for it. There is really no telling with military trucks. several of us have had fresh off the lot pristine trucks run great while we are getting ready for hours or two and then blowup 5 miles down the road.

If you decide to drive it. You will have no cell service from Alexandria, LA to Natchez, MS then very limited service over to I55/I20. DO NOT go back up I20 to Birmingham. you will regret it and damage can occur to your truck. The road is HORRID all the way thru B'ham. Better support system up I55 to I40 to I65 to I71.

I am pretty much the rescue and roadside assistance truck for this area if someone has any issues. My number is in my signature below.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want to second the suggestion to get Wes to haul your truck. He recently hauled a truck for me, and I was very happy. He is a great guy to deal with. He will always be my first call on vehicle recoveries moving forward. Recoveries are exciting, but not always in a good way. Better to get the truck to your location so you can go over it and get to know it.

Dano78

M9023A2
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah I text him... I am very familiar with the air brake systems on these trucks and Stewart Stevenson’s. I design air systems and hydraulic systems for the state on equipment now. Not worried. BUT no one likes to break down and having it delivered would be great! Like early Xmas! Lol.. make my neighbors smile or cringe...haha

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A couple of random thoughts -

I learned all about the air system a few years ago lying on my back under the truck on the side of I 10 near Texas Canyon, with a tablet in one hand with P2P pulled up.

I want to emphasize that 14.00s are getting scarce and old. This'd be an ideal time to change to 395's or 16.00's. 395''s are cheaper and don't detract from bottom end power. 16.00''s are cosmetic prettier.

I've bought wheels and tires from simp in the past with no complaints. Logistics make simp the choice for tires on this trip....

It's all a roll of the dice on every recovery. If a breakdown and the resulting delays and potential for increased costs aren't the end of the world, then by all means... one man's chore is another man's entertainment.

I've recovered a bunch of these. I've broke down a few times but was mostly able to get them going by working on them on the side of the road. Two instances required towbarring a disabled truck. Two other instances required someone bringing me a tire because I blew through all the spares I had with me.

A chase vehicle helps a lot. Even a prius can fetch parts.....

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since no photos were shared here's the truck in question for others to give input to the owner. It was the only M923A1 sold last week and it being in Louisiana and the year 1986 gave it away (that and the "flat" tires). I watched it sell and let it go.

http://www.govplanet.com/jsp/s/item/1333525?h=6-22

3 tires are bad with side wall damage. 3 rears are Michelin XL's known to blow at any time but hold air. The spare tire is in unknown condition. A full set of tires is a MINIMUM before this thing touches pavement. It cranks so that's good but likely you're going to have trouble priming it, the primary fuel line is usually rotten plus the hand pump assembly is known to need new o-rings and tube. The exhaust stack is rotten so possible water contamination through that. The brakes are caged so the odds are it hadn't been in running condition in some time and no one has cared or tried successfully to make it so. Fuel (if any) is likely contaminated but still burnable so bring multiple primary filters and fuel treatment. I see rust accumulation on the axles and lower parts leading me to suspect the truck was driven in water at some point. My last two M923A1 air force trucks from that area showed the same signs and ended up having hidden issues such as over heating and the brakes dumping all the air when the brakes were depressed.

Over all diagnosis of the situation is get it hauled. Too many variables, too much risk, just to save a few bucks. If you're determined to drive it buy tires, fuel line, hire a follow car, and buy a tow-bar.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
A couple of random thoughts -

I learned all about the air system a few years ago lying on my back under the truck on the side of I 10 near Texas Canyon, with a tablet in one hand with P2P pulled up.

I want to emphasize that 14.00s are getting scarce and old. This'd be an ideal time to change to 395's or 16.00's. 395''s are cheaper and don't detract from bottom end power. 16.00''s are cosmetic prettier.

I've bought wheels and tires from simp in the past with no complaints. Logistics make simp the choice for tires on this trip....

It's all a roll of the dice on every recovery. If a breakdown and the resulting delays and potential for increased costs aren't the end of the world, then by all means... one man's chore is another man's entertainment.

I've recovered a bunch of these. I've broke down a few times but was mostly able to get them going by working on them on the side of the road. Two instances required towbarring a disabled truck. Two other instances required someone bringing me a tire because I blew through all the spares I had with me.

A chase vehicle helps a lot. Even a prius can fetch parts.....
Least he doesn't have to worry about his top ripping open and letting in 80mph wind and rain. HA!

Dano78

M9023A2
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, if need be I will rebuild the whole fuel system.. not a problem. I have a fully equipped service truck more than capable of handling this. From 100t cranes to 400ton haul trucks, had my fair share. The fuel system in these trucks is crude and easy but it works great! I carry pretty much everything I need in my truck (even 8.3 mains and injection rebuild parts). Anyway, I appreciate the input. Will prob just have wes haul it. Time to get tires and such just not working in my schedule due to a new baby :). I am fortunate enough to have a neighbor who was a mechanic on these trucks.. he has all his Air Force to 36a12-1c-1155-2-1 manuals and 900 series diagrams still! .. anywhoot see if I can bribe him with some cold brews and have him “teach” me the ways of the 923
Yes that is the truck in LA

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pictures 46 48 50 57 65 all look problematic to me.

That truck did not get to its current location under its own power. The torque rods look like they're about to let go. The axles look shifted.

I see no indication that the brakes work or that the truck builds air.

Personally, I would not plan a trip around driving that one anywhere. I'd be uneasy about putting it on towbars behind another truck, as I also think it has been submerged.

My earlier optimistic post was before i saw the ad for the truck.

Not to be an orifice, but this strikes me as a parts truck... (edit - this reads more harshly than intended. Your mechanic skills may be far better than mine, and what's a parts truck for me may be a fixer for you )

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That truck has the 1980's MERDC paint job still and that also looks like the last time it ran. At least it is off the DRMO lot.

big block 88

Brakes are caged and she went for a swim at some point. I dont think it looks like the rears are shifted bu those tq rod bushings are toast and a ticking time bomb.

If you did pay what it is showing on the sight you did very well imo.

Be smart take your time. Get good rubber on it before putting yourself, loved ones, and others in danger of a 26000 pound out of control truck.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dang... tough crowd, might as well call his baby ugly. Looks like a decent truck to me, maybe not a jump in and drive a 1000 miles but...

What are you guys seeing that I cant on my crappy little phone screen that makes you think its a swimmer?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks