• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24V solar charger

csheath

I installed a new solar charging system on my 803 today. Purchased a 24V, 20W panel and charge controller off the auction sight. I have been using this same charge controller on another system to maintain the battery for my security cameras. I have two wifi cameras in the field I use to watch all the deer activity with. The charge controller auto senses whether you have it on a 12 or 24 volt system. Total cost $59.88 for both pieces.

IMG_2334.jpg

IMG_2332.jpg

My generator is up under my shed so it doesn't get a lot of sunlight. Sun probably peaks in a couple hours a day. I mounted the new panel on the end of the shed where it should get at least 6 hours of direct sunlight.

IMG_2329.jpg

The panel measured 44 open circuit volts and 486 short circuit milliamps in direct sunlight. In the shade it was reading 36 volts and 70MA. Soon after connecting the volt reading went up on the batteries to 25.4 and the charge controller indicated it was float charging.

The nice thing about it is I mounted the charge controller right on top of the generator so I can monitor the battery condition every time I walk by. No more dead battery surprises.

Last edited:

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love your set up. My MEP 003 is inside the barn. So I removed my batteries and have them on a battery tender in my garage. I'd like to do this myself. It beats hauling batteries 300 feet to the barn.

csheath

Today's battery reading with sun on the panel. Looks like the charge controller is regulating within parameters.

IMG_2335.jpg

csheath

My battery voltage is reading 25.2 this morning which is a tenth lower than they were before I put the new system on. I will need to monitor for a while to make sure it's doing what I need but I feel good about it. Right now it's cool and shady so I think all is normal.

One thing I haven't done is to run the unit under load. I will do that today and make sure there isn't a back feed problem with the charge controller. I asked this question of the seller and was told it would just go to float mode when it saw higher voltage on the battery side.

Where did you get the setup?
ebay

Search for

ALEKO 20W Monocrystalline Solar Panel 24 Volt Output

and

PWM 20/30A Solar Panel Charge Controller Regulator Battery Protection 12V/24V US

Check USA Only and set sort by lowest price. PM if you need the links.

Last edited:

csheath

Ran the generator under load for a while today. Voltage indicator on charge controller read charging volts of 28 then returned to 26 after shut down. No apparent damage to the charge controller.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks