• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

803a vibration

A plastic bristled brush and some isopropyl alcohol on a rag.

I'm going spray a very light coat of clear enamel on mine before I reassemble.
Does anyone know the name of the coding that’s on the stater\alternator that thick epoxy looking stuff I know I had seen the tread about it but I just don’t remember where to find that info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guyfang

Staff member
Got it back together! I ended up pulling the rotor and flywheel again. I couldn't find anything that would make it off, but after reinstalling it I didn't find any runout like I did before. I adjusted the mag pickup to 3.16 volts. It has to be only 1/4 to 1/2 turn out to achieve that. I may take one off of a parts machine and swap them at some point. Pickup is damaged but still works.

Often, runout problems are solved just like you did it. Simply re do the installation. With turbines, it's much more complicated. Good work!

in the long run, it will pay you to re adjust the mag pickup to 3 volts, and no higher. Sooner or later, dirt, grease, oil and metal chips can foul the end of the pickup. It helps to have the tip farther away. And there is no chance of it grinding again. And if it works, it's good enough to use, so don't replace it, just turn it a hair farther out until you get 3 volts.

I only fired the unit for 5 minutes after getting it back together. It seems like it is running a whole lot smoother. I will finish the sheet metal and do another load test on it before I call it good. I've got to dig out a parts machine to get a volt gauge off of before I run this thing very much

Last edited:

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know the name of the coding that’s on the stater\alternator that thick epoxy looking stuff I know I had seen the tread about it but I just don’t remember where to find that info

I don't know off the top of my head but will ask a guy in a motor rewind/repair shop. He might know. Will post my findings as soon as I speak with him.

The stuff used in the windings is to stabilize the wire from vibration and by all appearances also adds an insulation factor.

For the exposed metal surfaces where there is no surface contact, a single spray coating of clear enamel will keep moisture off the metal.

smokem joe

You read my mind I was figuring bad fuel injector or not enough you’re going into one of the cylinders

This was sitting on the ground. I have ran a dozen other 803s in the same location. If it was the first one I had worked on I may have thought it was normal, but after working on a bunch you get a feel for what is right. It is right next to a ground rod I have for testing purposes so I know it is the same location. 802s vibrate, but that is normal for them to some extent.

I have checked exhaust manifold temps with IR thermometer. They were all in the ballpark. I did some minor adjustments to the pumps to try and smooth it out before I tore into the gen head but it didn't help. I knew all cylinders were firing because it would hold 11k and a short burst of 13k load with no problem. It just had more vibration than normal, but I think it may be fixed.

smokem joe

Back together and load tested! Runs fine, but with a slight note to the exhaust that doesn't sound normal. Almost sounds like a baffle going in the muffler, but muffler is brand new. I had 11k on it to load test it and when I disconnected to load it made a slight sound almost like a little backfire. Motor made no strange noises 10 months ago when it was last running so I am not sure where to look for a problem.

Guy I backed that mag pickup out to read 2.75V. It was such a slight movement that I'm not sure it did much to help the clearance. Previous reading was taken right off the pickup. Today's reading was done at K12. I wouldn't think it would make much of a difference though.

The plus is it held an 11k load for an hour and ran just as smooth as could be

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks