• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M45a2 WLF

2deuce

I bought this truck off GSA last night. The one thing I find unusual is that it doesn't have a stack. I have looked at pictures of other M45a2's and they all had the usual exhaust stack. My M49a2C is non turbo, has a muffler and the stack pipe diameter is smaller than a normal turbo'ed deuce, but the stack is in the same place, although the routing is different. My plan is to hook up the M49 to the M45 and have the M45 act as the pump. What's critical is that the pump on the M45 must work or I'm back to square 1 and looking for a pump. I actually bought the biggest pump on wheels I could find. lol

Image 8 of 8

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The stack exhaust came about in the 1970's. Trucks surplused around then could still have the factory rear exhaust. If your pump plan does not work out, pm me, I am pulling a pto driven fire pump from a deuce brush truck at the moment.

2deuce

Thanks Guys, I would hate to see a truck like that get bobbed. There were other deuces sold that night. One without a bed went for 2500 and an '85 with a dropside that looked better went for 2015. I thought prices were very good, but I haven't been following the market like I should. This truck I bought for 2115. I sure hope the pump works. There was a 1973 loadstar 4x4 s1800 that was a firetruck built for the Navy parked next to it. It had a 500gpm pump that was self contained and ran off it's own gas engine. I would have bought that truck just for the pump, but there was no way to tell if the pump works.

2deuce

Does anyone know what beacon originally went on top? I'm thinking about putting it back to original. The same thing goes for the siren. Thanks

jasonjc

I have the model #'s at home. The siren goes on the left fender and on top is a 3 or 4 bulb rotating light. Do you know if its a 530B or 530C truck?

2deuce

Where would it say 530 a or b? I don't know the differences. It is a 1968. I'm also looking for the siren. Was the siren and top beacon 24v? They removed the lights off the back too and won't let me have them. Were they 24 volt too? I see the same ones on ebay but they are all 12v. Thanks for your help.

2deuce

With a little more reading, mine appears to be a 530b as it has the 500gpm pump, and no foam nozzle at least now. I need to find a owners manual so I can figure out how to operate it. I need hose too.

2deuce

I see the same rear lights on ebay except 12 volt and 6 volt. I guess I will have to wait for a 24v. If you can post the model numbers of the siren and top light that would be appreciated.

neil2007

I've got a lot of documentation (photos and docs) that I've taken of mine that may do you some good... I've also collected a lot of pics from the net for documentation of what the originals looked like as well. A lot of good info.

If you have a chance you might check out what I've collected to see if any of it does you any good.

530B.letsgettwisted.com

Mines still all original but I just moved it in the garage last week to start removing the bed. It's got a lot of good parts on the bed, but 25 years sitting in the woods has also created a lot of rust damage, so I'm going to start digging into it to see what is actually salvageable. I'm afraid of what I'm going to find. :'/ I may have a lot of items available to a good home if things do not look so good. IF that is the case, instead of going back original, it will go back heavily modified with a Modern driveline and components. That would include removing most everything from the WLF bed. I believe I still DO have the foaming nozzle and tank(s). I think one of which was added by our local FD. I will be switching out the motor and trans to a more modern Fuel Injected gas setup.

If anyone wants more details on what I have that will be available, please drop me a line. IF I get to that point, I will post in the classifieds... (this message wasn't intended to be a for sale post.. I jut thought that it was pertinent information for this conversation... I really hate the idea of the WLF bed and associated items going to waste, but somethings got to be done with the truck because it's just getting in worst shape as it sits. :-(

Thanks!

Neil

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The stack exhaust came about in the 1970's.

Try the late-60's. Check out any number of 1968-69 dated Vietnam or US Army Europe photos. As for deuces, we had a number of 1968-69 A2's with stacks, and 1965-66 A2's with downspouts. Many of the downspout multifuel deuces remained as such and kept their OD (albeit subdued stars) through at least the end of 1979 at no fewer than two of the army's MTOC schools. (FLW, FDX, have pics) . As for 5-tons, all our early mack A1's had a downspout like their gas predecessor. The unit's late-model A1 factory macks had stacks. All our late-60's-early 70's A2's had stacks except for one of the 1950's gas/multifuel A2 "upgrades aua" which retained its downspout. Off-point but for info, most 5T gas/multi conversions in my final unit were done during the 1980's and received a stack . As you can see in avatar pic, was operating an early-60's Mack M52A1 with downspout exhaust with M127A1C trailer in '78 or '79.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks