• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Strange CTIS issue - could use some input

Stellaevil

Since I got the truck, my CTIS mostly works, but often flickers like SGTHoffer's video below, and sometimes goes 5-flashing (that shutting off the truck and restarting, as the manual says, seems to usually correct). I have a '97 M1078(A0), with the green CTIS controller. I've tried replacing it with to different used black (newer) CTIS controllers, which seem to work, but always blink "CTIS Overspeed" above about 35MPH. The original green controller (with the flickering issue) does not have the "CTIS Overspeed" issue.

It doesn't look like the TMs or updated Spicer troubleshooting guide address this. Did I just get two bad black CTIS controllers, or is there somewhere else I should start looking?

SGTHoffer's flickering post: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...TIS-Question&p=2084935&viewfull=1#post2084935
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2Zb9CQM_2o
That is a bad ECU period end of story.............Sorry.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just for someone who might read this in the future... I changed the transmission speed sensor, and it had no effect. The original controller still works (aside from the intermittent short) and the two used black replacement units still flash "CTIS Overspeed" above 30MPH.

319cssb

What I'm using is the Dearborn adaptor from the diagnostic kit with an Panasonic Toughbook cf29 running windows XP with the free Dana diagnostic software.

Stellaevil

Since I got the truck, my CTIS mostly works, but often flickers like SGTHoffer's video below, and sometimes goes 5-flashing (that shutting off the truck and restarting, as the manual says, seems to usually correct). I have a '97 M1078(A0), with the green CTIS controller. I've tried replacing it with to different used black (newer) CTIS controllers, which seem to work, but always blink "CTIS Overspeed" above about 35MPH. The original green controller (with the flickering issue) does not have the "CTIS Overspeed" issue.

It doesn't look like the TMs or updated Spicer troubleshooting guide address this. Did I just get two bad black CTIS controllers, or is there somewhere else I should start looking?

SGTHoffer's flickering post: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...TIS-Question&p=2084935&viewfull=1#post2084935
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2Zb9CQM_2o
This flashing is not a normal occurrence and indicated a bad ECU. The software is constantly resetting and causing the abnormal flashing. Sorry it took so long to answer I sometime check threads without logging in.

319cssb

Someone with the same issue sent me their ECU and i had tested it on my FMTV. Turned out my laptop could not connect to it and that it was faulty. He replaced the ECU and it worked like a charm. Diagnostic tools rule. Having a 2006 truck that has rhe right diagnostic port to connect tour laptop with Dana diagnostic program helps too :)

coachgeo

Someone with the same issue sent me their ECU and i had tested it on my FMTV. Turned out my laptop could not connect to it and that it was faulty. He replaced the ECU and it worked like a charm. Diagnostic tools rule. Having a 2006 truck that has rhe right diagnostic port to connect tour laptop with Dana diagnostic program helps too :)
??? which "it" was faulty??? your laptop or the ECU? I assume the ECU..... but one should not assume lol.

why could you not connect to it?

PS... please put your truck in your User info.... (isn't it a member requirement that you have to do that anyway??? or is that just location?? I forget. )

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After trying those two used black controllers, I bought a NOS black controller and it works great. It does not have the "CTIS Overspeed" problem that the other two did.

319cssb

After trying those two used black controllers, I bought a NOS black controller and it works great. It does not have the "CTIS Overspeed" problem that the other two did.
Or instead of using a diagnostic laptop one could buy a bunch of ECU until one finally works. Well done.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or instead of using a diagnostic laptop one could buy a bunch of ECU until one finally works. Well done.
Your comment is completely unwarranted. I already had 2 used ones before starting this post, and sending them to you wasn't going to do anything to fix the overspeed warning. I knew there was nothing wrong with the truck because the original controller doesn't give the overspeed warning. I was going to have to buy another controller anyway, and saw a good price on a brand new one, so it was a safe bet. Where do you think hooking it to your diagnostic laptop would have been valuable?

319cssb

Huh? I dont even know where this attitude comes from. I was writing about an experience i had with a person who sent me his ECU. You described how you bought a couple of ECU a d that fixed your issue. There was no sarcasm or anything on my behalve. So chill the attitude, youre in a public place , Sir.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, that's not how your comment read at all. It sounded like "Way to go wasting money buying a bunch of ECUs, because I could have just fixed it with my diagnostic cable!" And I couldn't figure out how that was possible.

319cssb

Hooah !!! Apology accepted. Its more wasteful to send an ECU back and forth in the mail, than it is to buy a new one and be done with it. I seriously meant what i said without any sacrasm behind it. I dont know you, so I would have no reason to be nasty. Especially not online. Great job on fixing the issue.

coachgeo

in face to face life our body language fills in the gaps about what is meant to be angry :evil: a funny :lol: or even facetious :whistle:. In text..... body language of the person typing is NOT transferred thus the true meaning :carnac: meant to be expressed is often lost due to that.... unless of course someone uses emojis to replace the body language... ;)

Emojis really do help complete the communication so odds are better what is read.... is what was intended.

Just something to keep in mind folk

fat lady sings

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks