Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Not good for California MV owners or buyers

Thanks

Default Not good for California MV owners or buyers

I have a friend at DMV and I was tell her how I want to get my first MV and she said be carefull and sent me this. Hope this is some good info for everyone.Resized_20180212_145612.jpgResized_20180212_145620.jpg

Sergeant
    Thanks

What does that mean for mv's registered before October 2017? What about historic plates?

Thanks

Waiting to hear back on all the details as she is asking her manager and as soon as I hear something I'll post up and pass it on.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 494 Posts

Just another reason to move out of California. That place is sinking. JMO
    If you have more than one car in your drive way, your a car collector.
    '68 Shelby GT-500
    '75 Bricklin SV1
    '87 M985 HEMTT
    M101/116A3
    '02 M1082
    '14 Ford F150 Tremor (1 of 288 produced)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,393 Times in 1,578 Posts

It mentions hmmwvs specifially . It mentions the vehicles used by agencies, where the government retains ownership. It also mentions the surplus civvy vehicles.

5ton trucks, deuces, etc, are conspicuous in their absence. There's plenty of people with 5tons registered as historic vehicles in California. A deuce or a 5ton should be no problem unless something has recently changed.

Thanks

John, my deuce has been registered historic for years. On my registration, there is no weight listed, fuel type, nothing commercial whatsoever. It just says 66 Kaiserjp. No model. Just classified as UT (truck). I also got my new registration renewal in November after this came out, the fees went up of course due to our stupid ďhighway fundĒ improvement program, only $10 for this registration, but this is a whole different topic altogether. My wifeís 10 year old SUV went up $110.

I have a friend in the process of registering a truck (M35) right now. Iíll keep you all posted how it goes. It has never been registered so if something has changed heíll find out.

Iím thinking maybe my truck is grandfathered in.

Also, due to smog law changes, all trucks registered for commercial use must have all new tier one engines installed. Thatís a very small percentage of MV owners here for obvious reasons. Itís best to just use historic plates as you bypass all the extra fees and politics. Honestly Iíve never had anyone check my mileage to make sure Iím staying below the 2500 max per year. I donít haul stuff for hire (they allow you to haul personal things), and follow the laws of the road. Iíve never been bothered other than have my tailgate down one time and the officer couldnít see my taillights. And even then he just helped me lift it up and we talked on the side of the road about my truck and the story behind it. Granted I live in a pretty conservative area...Bakersfield.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Goodwithwood35
    Bakersfield, CA

'66 M35A2 W/W
    '86 M105A2 redone to match Vietnam era paint scheme

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to goodwithwood35 For This Useful Post:

98G (03-01-2018), airbornebandsman (03-01-2018), SCSG-G4 (03-01-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,643 Times in 2,687 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 98G View Post
    It mentions hmmwvs specifially . It mentions the vehicles used by agencies, where the government retains ownership. It also mentions the surplus civvy vehicles.

5ton trucks, deuces, etc, are conspicuous in their absence. There's plenty of people with 5tons registered as historic vehicles in California. A deuce or a 5ton should be no problem unless something has recently changed.
    It also references "Tactical Vehicles" under the HMMWV section and clearly states these vehicles lack, 17 digit VIN, a secondary or alternate VIN, a emission label and FMVSS label . So It looks like they covered them.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,393 Times in 1,578 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by porkysplace View Post
    It also references "Tactical Vehicles" under the HMMWV section and clearly states these vehicles lack, 17 digit VIN, a secondary or alternate VIN, a emission label and FMVSS label . So It looks like they covered them.
    Except that that paragraph states that the government remains the lien holder.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 98G For This Useful Post:

silverstate55 (03-02-2018)

Thanks

Ok so just talked to her today and as of right now nothing has changed it's still up in the air so she said hurry and register any you want for normal on road registration. We will still always be able to do historic plates but there are limitations on when and where we can drive. Her boss also said the ones that are registered by mistake will be honored but you may not be able to transfer the on road registration to anyone else. But their not 100% sure I will post up when I hear anything else.

Sergeant
    Thanks

Has anyone had success as historic in California? I was offered off highway only. They said no to historic. So my 1913 model T is ok and faster but a mv humvee is not?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast