Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Way Ahead for Kansans to on road title MV stamped Off Road Use

Private
    Thanks

Default Way Ahead for Kansans to on road title MV stamped Off Road Use

I recently got an M998 and was disappointed that I could not title it for on road in the State of Kansas since it was stamped “off road”. Currently there is no way in Kansas to make a previously designated “off road” vehicle capable of getting an on road title. I contacted Senator Tom Hawk and he seems receptive to drafting legislation to make a way for Kansans to on road title surplus military vehicles. His staff did a good job of researching the other states that have passed legislation to allow for titling these vehicles. He said he would check with his Committee Chair, Senator Petersen and ranking member Senator Pettey to see about possible bill and it having a chance to pass. More to follow on that. Now is the time to contact those three senators to drum up support for this action as it is fresh on their minds. Their information is:
    Senator Tom Hawk – tom.hawk@senate.ks.gov
    Senator Pat Pettey – pat.pettey@senate.ks.gov
    Senator Mike Petersen – mike.petersen@senate.ks.gov

Thanks
    Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,556 Posts

The thing about attracting the notice of legislators is that they're as likely to make things worse as they are to make things better.

Let's hope they look at KY, TN, ID, and MT when they're crafting their proposed bill, and not at VA, LA, FL, OK or MI.

I'm wondering just what KS law the HMMWV runs afoul of. I mean, it's legal in KS for me to drive my John Deere tractor on the roads.... I regularly see overwidth, overheight, slow, nonsignal-having farm implements going down the road, as well as those Polaris 4wheelers....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 98G For This Useful Post:

11C 31A (04-24-2018)

Private
    Thanks

Below was part of the response I got from one senators research team.
    "Information received from the Division of Vehicles and the Kansas Highway Patrol confirm the vehicle currently cannot be registered in Kansas. As noted below, the “off-road” label on the vehicle’s federal government title equivalent means only an off-road title may be issued. According to the Patrol, the officer should have recommended a nonhighway title. KSA 2017 Supp. 8-116a authorizes the Patrol to inspect vehicles to ensure no parts are stolen, and a Patrol spokesperson says that part of the inspection should have been performed. (Kansas required periodic vehicle safety inspections only from 1974 into 1983; the Patrol remains authorized to stop and inspect vehicles for safety reasons [KSA 8-1759, 8-1759a]. Emissions inspections are not required in Kansas.) No statute appears to authorize a non-highway vehicle to be reclassified as a highway vehicle. (Statutes do authorize cities to authorize use of all-terrain vehicles and golf carts on certain streets and under certain circumstances; the cities may impose additional requirements on operation.)"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 11C 31A For This Useful Post:

98G (04-24-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,606 Times in 2,671 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 98G View Post
    The thing about attracting the notice of legislators is that they're as likely to make things worse as they are to make things better.

Let's hope they look at KY, TN, ID, and MT when they're crafting their proposed bill, and not at VA, LA, FL, OK or MI.

I'm wondering just what KS law the HMMWV runs afoul of. I mean, it's legal in KS for me to drive my John Deere tractor on the roads.... I regularly see overwidth, overheight, slow, nonsignal-having farm implements going down the road, as well as those Polaris 4wheelers....
    Farming has it's own rules , the federal right to farm act supersedes most state laws and federal wetland laws.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to porkysplace For This Useful Post:

11C 31A (04-24-2018), 99nouns (04-24-2018)

Thanks

What about all the HMMWVs GP sold with nonbranded titles?

What about people who move to KS with a HMMWV street titled from one of the more friendly states who want to re-register in KS?

My point, which is moot at this point, is that attracting legislator attention is as likely to get "no military vehicle can be registered or titled in KS" as it is to get "ok, we'll now title HMMWVs for the street in KS ".

Anyway, I watch with interest to see how it turns out.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 98G For This Useful Post:

11C 31A (04-24-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 780 Posts

Kansas is usually pretty good with MV's. My guess is they couldn't care less if it's a HMMWV. It's the off-road only that tells them that whatever it is isn't supposed to be on the road. Registering the Mutts (no titles, just a bill of sale) has always been a piece of cake for us East Wind guys.
    It is a poverty when a dictionary must die so a person may spell as they wish.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flyingvan911 For This Useful Post:

11C 31A (04-24-2018), 98G (04-24-2018), SCSG-G4 (04-24-2018)

MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,342 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingvan911 View Post
    Kansas is usually pretty good with MV's. My guess is they couldn't care less if it's a HMMWV. It's the off-road only that tells them that whatever it is isn't supposed to be on the road. Registering the Mutts (no titles, just a bill of sale) has always been a piece of cake for us East Wind guys.
    The reason the Mutts are easy is age, older than 35 yrs just need a BOS.

Last time I was at an inspection location it was with a M38 I had sold, the Patrolman asked before we said what it was that if a HMMWV just to leave. He then told us that a guy had come in with one from MO with a fresh antique title (25 in Mo) in his brothers name, he ran the Vin saw it was released with a ORO and gave the guy 2 options either leave with it and go home or go a head and insist on a vin inspection and he would be forced to impound it.
    We got the state law revised on MV's years ago 2012, one of the factors was davesgmc had a Ferret with an Il title and the they would not title it in KS. The various MVPA folks in the state got together and lobbied. I agree with 98G and hope attracting the notice of legislators doesn't make things worse as they are to make things better.
    http://www.mvpa.org/2018/02/09/titling-registration/
    The law as it stands now
    Model Legislation from Kansas

all-terrain vehicles and golf carts are only allowed on Non-state hwy roads in certain counties and towns.
    Last edited by MWMULES; 04-24-2018 at 10:45.
    HMIC of BEEFCO Industries world wide.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MWMULES For This Useful Post:

11C 31A (04-24-2018), 98G (04-24-2018)

Private
    Thanks

With the fact that very few of these where ever auctioned without the off road use only stamp we need a means of getting them put back to on road in the state of Kansas. We should not have to rely on trying to get one to slip through based on some county clerk or inspectors ignorance of the states intent. I think it is more of an education issue on those that make the laws and subsequently those that process the paperwork. Unlike other states, you can't shop around your registration office, unless I'm mistaken you have to do it in the county of your residence. Unless folks want to store a HUMVEE for years until it is considered an antique, which in a lot of states is only 25 years but KS is 35, then we need to work on some new legislation.

Thanks

It would be nice if they'd include former MVs under the antique vehicle rules, without regard to date of manufacture.

That'd be a quick easy fix, and former MVs of any vintage have similar use profiles to antiques...

I read through the current legislation. I find it amusing that a half track with a quad 50 mount can be registered for use on KS streets, but a HMMWV can't.

As to the comment "very few hmmwv have been sold with clean titles", I guess we have different definitions of "very few". GP sells some every week with unrestricted titles.

Sergeant Major
    Thanks

We personally have never had a problem
    getting “on road” registration here in Oklahoma.
    we own several, including a Hmmwv.
    M35a3 with 53" tires, love them

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast